Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't believe no one has a Areins Sno Tek snow blower :confused:. We bought ours last year just before the 30" of snow hit NY :eek:. Had to drive all the way to Home Depot in PA from Long Island to get one. Got it for under $400 :D since it was fixed do to the recall which knocked $100 off the price then with my sisters military discount. Big talk was if the Chinese LCT engine could do the job but it's a Areins and sure did. We got the 24" model with electronic start and it worked great, went right through the 30” of snow. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
This is the Third model year for the Sno-Tek line..
haven't heard any complaints, and have heard a few people say they like them and they are working fine..considering many thousands have been sold the past 3 winters, looks like Ariens has a winner in the "budget wars"...The same cant be said for other manufacturer's "entry level" models..

Scot

·
Registered
1 Posts
3 year owner

This is my third year of ownership of 24 inch pull start. The machine has worked flawlessly thru some major storms-6plus inches with wind aided drifting. It is basically an Ariens but with the LCT engine. They did alot of testing on these engines prior to release and have a winner at this price point.

I suggest changing the spark plug. My engine was hunting a tad bit -change plug to NGK and now fine.
Still going strong in March of 2015-very satisfied.

Still going strong as of Feb.27 2020. Changed auger belt in 2018. Other than that just regular maintenance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a member on several other OPE/Snowblower sites and there was much concern about the LCT engine when Ariens first introduced the SnoTek line of machines. The fears and concerns of the usual poor quality Chinese made product seem to have been put to rest at this point. The longevity end of the equation is still up in the air but it looks as though Ariens did their homework when it came to producing a quality, budget "price point" snowblower with a decent and capable engine. All the reviews I have read indicate that these are a very capable, well built machines that are well worth the $$$. A lot of snowblowers in this price range ($500 - $750) are generally not recognized for their quality and performance.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Engines on snowblowers.....

Just tossing my humble 2c in. I REFUSE to buy anything coming from China. It might cost me more but I'm just trying to save American jobs. It is hard not to do sometimes but it IS possible to find USA made products..
Joe

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Just tossing my humble 2c in. I REFUSE to buy anything coming from China. It might cost me more but I'm just trying to save American jobs. It is hard not to do sometimes but it IS possible to find USA made products..
Joe
Joe, I agree with you!
but if you want a new 100% American made snowblower (both the snowblower itself, and the engine, both made in the USA) better go out shopping soon..I predict in one to five years an American made engine on a new snowblower (or lawnmower, riding mower, or anything with a small gas engine) will not exist..ALL small engines will be made in China..
The day is coming soon..

MTD went with all Chinese engines last year..
Toro probably has all Chinese this year for the first time (I havent confirmed that yet)
and Ariens has only 3 models in this years catalog with a US-built briggs engine..and there have been stories that Briggs will be moving *all* small engines (of the type used on snowblowers) to China soon..
The end of an Era is just about here..this might be the last model year right now, for a 100% US-made snowblower..we wont know until next fall.

Scot

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
American made

Another option is to buy a good, used machine and refurb it. Unfortunately you'll find many parts are still available but no longer made in the US.

It's unfortunate but that's the way the business world is going - overseas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw that thing throwing snow into another neighbor's driveway lol... When my 9/26 craftsman finally craps out....which will probably be in the next year I am going to pick up a 26 Snotek

·
Registered
841 Posts
Just a reminder, all Honda single-stage snowblowers have been 100% manufactured (for the last 10 years) in Swepsonville, North Carolina. This includes the 190cc engines, which are completely cast, assembled and tested at Honda's North Carolina plant. This will continue for many years to come.

Honda 2-stage snowblower engines are cast and assembled at a Honda plant in Thailand, and final assembly takes place at a Honda plant in Japan, before shipment to a Honda assembly plant in Japan, then shipped to Honda distributors/warehouses to to the USA.

This arrangement is expected to continue for the near future. Honda does have a long-standing policy of building products in the country were they are sold, so it stands to reason even more Honda snowblowers may eventually be built in the USA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Personally, I like refurbishing the old stuff. I just picked up a 1970 Ariens for $10 on Craigslist. She was in minty condition but didn't run. A carb adjustment, a new muffler, a gas line, some grease and she now runs like a charm.

Most companies can't afford to produce USA-made products and still keep the prices competitive. Sadly, most Americans will choose price over country of origin. I just heard a story from someone locally who is starting a new product line. She tried every angle to produce the item in the US because she is a Patriot. Unfortunately this drove the selling price up so far the big box stores refused to carry it. If she wanted to see her dream of bringing this product to life, her only option was to produce it internationally. The product is now currently made in China.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a Sno-Tek 24inch snow blower today, uncrated it put it together and did a test start and had it going enough to get to the shed in the back yard, really impressed with it so far but it is 80 degrees today. I did do a lot of research before I bought and the reviews are great, can't wait to see how it does this winter.BTW, I had a budget of $600 which is what it was.

Mark.

·
Registered
153 Posts
thought I wood update on my 24in snow tek. ive had mine for 3 year and got to use it 4 times. I am very pleased on how it works.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I just bought on and put it together and I want to put lights on it can someone please help with this
It's not just a matter of putting a light on the handlebar and plugging it in. If it didn't come with a light, heated grips or a battery powered starter it's likely the manufacturer didn't include anything to produce electricity. It costs more for the components to produce the electricity to run lights and grips so if they are not on the machine to begin with or an option to "plug in" as some units can for grips you'd need to pull the engine cover, the flywheel and add the components if it's even possible. Not all engines can be fitted with a charging circuit and again it's because it's cheaper to not have it.

On your engine I don't know but I'd email their customer service with your model and serial of the blower and engine and see what they say.

Other than that you need to look at something like bicycle battery operated LEDs that would mount to the handle bar or some other battery operated option. :eek:

As for "Bad Ass Snow Blowers" I like my Sears Craftsman 10/32 3 stages for walking through anything Minnesota Or Wisconsin and the snow plows can toss at them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts