Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone...felt i had to share this online buying experience, especially since i usually have very good ones.
after much research i decided to upgrade from my old husky to a new ariens path pro 208. i wanted to use snowblowers direct, but they were backordered, went with mchenry instead using their ebay store. i ended up being glad i went that route with them as that provided extra protection i could have really needed.
the blower arrived quickly, the package looking pretty good and was shipped ups ground by them. i was pumped! im the type to really check it out and see how its put together. maybe anti-seize some things, check oil, go over all fasteners, etc..
it became quickly apparent there was damage, as the upper shroud was cracked..oh well, not too big a deal. ill get it out of the box at least and keep checking things out.
after getting it out i can see the lower shroud is broken too..after walking to the front of the machine, i can see the rh side of the auger housing is dented in pretty badly. so its starting to look like this really took a hard hit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
after studying things some more i decided that i wasnt going to be owning this unit..it was messed up! the handle assembly didnt look very square to the rest of the unit as well.
that night i contacted the seller thru ebay and posted several pics detailing things. i called the next day so i could speak with someone and talked to a fellow in the their sales department....he said a return would be a hassle..any broken parts i could be sent and i could swap them out. i would be fine with that, but there is alot wrong with this thing that is non-serviceable. he said i should try bending the auger housing back and that the sheetmetal is a weak spot on the unit..
to humor him i agreed, said i would call back tomorrow.
i did nothing with it and called the next day stating i wanted this thing shipped back and a new one sent back..would this be possible? up till now, everything has been fairly genial. he said this would be fine, once they received mine a new one would be sent to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i tracked the package back, watching for when it arrived to them.
oddly, as soon as it arrived back to them, they canceled my ebay order. i emailed wanting to know what was up. no mail from them or anything. i still havent received a reply..this was 2 days ago. judging from my package, theres virtually no damage on the inside of the box. going from their behavior, i kinda suspect it was known the blower was like this..

now if i can figure out pics..does it automatically happen when you hit 10 posts? can i use the drag n drop function?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no..he just linked me to a paid ups tag. i printed it, taped it to the box and took it uptown to the ups store. i did receive a paypal refund as soon as the ebay transaction was suddenly canceled.

·
Registered
109 Posts
So without any visual damage to the box, sounds like they shipped out a damaged unit to you hoping you would just fix whatever was wrong?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So without any visual damage to the box, sounds like they shipped out a damaged unit to you hoping you would just fix whatever was wrong?
sounds ridiculous but it looks that way. not sure how it could be that way and the box look that good inside. almost seemed like they were mad when i wanted to send it back but it was through ebay, and pics are pics.
anyway..snowblowersdirect has the pathpro back in stock so i ordered one. hope this turns out better!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
box was packed very well, in one of the pics actually you can see all the stuff in the back ground. the front lip of the auger housing is missing paint and scratched up though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thats what I always fear when I buy online. I like to see what I'm getting. You may pay a little more buying from a dealer, but you can avoid some of the run around. Good luck

·
Registered
166 Posts
Same here. I buy my power equipment from local dealers that set up and service what they sell. I'll pay a little extra for that. No big box store purchases either. They know nothing about what they are selling.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i hear you guys on that for sure. theres only one actual ariens dealer near me that wants a large amount more for this single stage otherwise i usually do try to help locals. other than being able to see it in person, lowes or depot wouldnt be any better other than costing 60 dollars more.
i have have bought and sold from a good many private individuals through online sources..always treat and have been treated well..guess i was due for a bad one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts