Snowblower Forum banner

Bad tecumseh Carburator clone form amazon.com

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  db130 
#1 ·
Bought this brand new carb kit (carb, spark plug primer, fuel switch, filter) from Amazon USA instead of canada where i usually buy, had better price.

Installed twice to make sure I did not do something wrong, motor just spins, does not even try, bowl is full of gas, but never start.

Put back old carb, couple of of primers shots and starts right away, no hesitation.

87powershiftx2 told me couple of bad carbs on ebay and amazon are bad, well lucky me, just found one.

From my newbee eye looks exactly the same. Can't spot a difference. Have blowed into couple of orifice, nothing cloged that I can see.

Now have to go through the hassle of forwarding cost of shipping and waiting for return.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I’ve ordered dozens of them and have yet to come across a bad one but it’s bound to happen, Have you played the lottery this week?

#4 ·
I just purchased the same carb and it was missing the Welch plug on the bottom of the carb. Still have the motor apart so I haven’t had a chance to fire it up. Carb was from Amazon and it cost $12 bucks. Welch plug cost $1.15.Doubt I will ever buy a cheap Chinese carb again.

#5 ·
I think I bought the same kit

Price: $12.99 + No Import Fees Deposit & $7.38 Shipping to Canada Details

Sold by Carbour and Fulfilled by Amazon.

Seems to have good reviews, was better price even with US to CAD conversion , but with all the troubles and forwarding the cost of shipping for return, will buy canadian amazon next time. Also much faster took about 10 days.

#6 ·
Installed twice to make sure I did not do something wrong, motor just spins, does not even try, bowl is full of gas, but never start.
Did you verify that the carb bowl was correctly oriented with regard to the float hinge? The hinge should be centered on the higher flat section of the bowl. Otherwise, the float can get hung up and either have the needle valve locked open or shut.

#7 ·
Yes opened it, bowl right direction deep end opposite of hinge, has a dimple near the center, float and needle ok moves up and down and hooked up, washer at the bottom good gasket does not leak ...

This thing should start after couple of primer pushes no hassle of any kind.

That's what happens when I put back the old one.

#10 ·
Runs average, is dirty inside, bowl, carb, can see beige stuff inside the chamber, and can't remove the choke when it's hot, otherwise it dies.

I use it until it's replaced. Then will try to clean it.

Even my local small motor shop uses chinese clones and sells them $65 CAD plus tax.

#11 ·
I have bought Many of them on ebay from Dannwon, $12 or so shipped. VERY Fast Shipping, and I eventually got a bad one. Seller didn't want to bother with a return, and I had another one in 2 days. On another note, You should have spent the extra $2 for the adjustable one.

Reactions: oneboltshort
#12 ·
You are right for the adjustable, didn't know if you could substitute. Was not sure if the jet and rest of the carb was different or adapted to new engine.

Started a thread asking this question and got my answer.

Looking at adjustable carb right now.

#13 · (Edited)
THREE yes 3 in a row over the last month, not one worked,all looked ok from the outside,even marked with the oem name, i have even gotten bad 2 stroke carbs .amazon is like ebay filled with bad egg sellers selling off junk, most of the time your ok, other times,buyer beware.

2 had the idle mixture screw bonded in place .( yes i know many are now preset at the factory and made non adjustable) judging by how far in the needle stuck into the idle port it was fully seated, before the head was broken off. dropping the bowl one didn't even have a drilled out main jet,the extra the junk included, the gaskets were either to small or too big for a smaller or larger motor with smaller/bigger ports . one didn't even fit over the studs ,it was for a smaller motor, filers included in one box i could see there was nothing inside to even work as a filter, one filter the material was floating around loose inside, the primer bulbs who knows what they were made for, fuel hose in one case was simple vacuum hose not double layered vapor proof needed for 10% e gas.

we all try to save money , cheap isn't always good, and knowing this stuff comes from china, i wonder how much is in reality rejects from the assembly line that failed Q control ???

#16 ·
I try to salvage the original carb if it was an adjustable one to begin with, but I've have several flips where the non-adjustable carb was ditched in favor of the $12-15 adjustable carbs from ebay/amazon and they ran perfectly with minimal adjustments afterwards.

What I don't like on the aftermarket carbs:

fuel bowl gasket tend to swell up
the fuel bowl can rust
the welch plug is often missing

If anyone wants a laugh, check out this carb that never should have passed QA:

https://youtu.be/utrOlu0s_uU?t=415 -> yup, that one is missing the welch plug also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.