Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an old mtd blower thats all wired for a light... my question is, can i just go to napa and buy a 8$ replacement light, nothing special? i thought somewhere i read it had to be a certain wattage...i had an old foglight i was thinking of wiring up to it, but i dont wanna have dimming issues..its an 8hp tecumseh hsmk80...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Look for something in the 18W range. LED lighting can be adapted with additional parts (rectifier diodes etc) but you may see flickering.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Toro Power Max

My Toro which has a 11.5hp B&S engine, came with a halogen 16W GE892 bulb. Don't know if this is too little, too big or what, just letting you know what I have.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I put a light on my ST824, using the flywheel and alternator from the 8hp MTD I had at the time. There was a certain bulb designation number that was a common one for these engines, as I recall (it was several years ago). If I wrote it down, I'll try to check what that was. I've sold the machine, so I can't just check it. But yes, something 12V, under 18W would typically be what you want, to avoid over-taxing the alternator.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Checked my notes. I bought an Optronics TL-10CSW utility light assembly at Walmart for $12:
Utility/Flood Light - Walmart.com

It came with a 36W PAR36 4411 bulb, which is too much for my 18W alternator. So I bought an 18W PAR36 4414 bulb to replace it.

At the time, I posted a bunch of info about my conversion process, including about the light, here:
How hard to remove Tecumseh flywheels?

The light's rubber housing for the bulb was quite stiff, I was having a hard time removing the original bulb from the housing. In the thread I described how I gently warmed the housing, to soften it, and was then able to easily remove the original bulb, so I could swap it to a lower-wattage bulb.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Checked my notes. I bought an Optronics TL-10CSW utility light assembly at Walmart for $12:
Utility/Flood Light - Walmart.com

It came with a 36W PAR36 4411 bulb, which is too much for my 18W alternator. So I bought an 18W PAR36 4414 bulb to replace it.

At the time, I posted a bunch of info about my conversion process, including about the light, here:
How hard to remove Tecumseh flywheels?

The light's rubber housing for the bulb was quite stiff, I was having a hard time removing the original bulb from the housing. In the thread I described how I gently warmed the housing, to soften it, and was then able to easily remove the original bulb, so I could swap it to a lower-wattage bulb.
Good tip about the 4414 bulb. I was using a similar utility light with a 36-watt bulb on my Bolens 824 because its engine has the 84-watt stator, but now I know I can use it on other engines with the 18 watts stators after the bulb swap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts