Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if this is a 6volt and how the heck do you remove the cover?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
it should be 12v.....and why would you want to remove the cover ?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
YOU DON'T REMOVE THE COVER!!! If that's really from January 2004, it doesn't owe you anything... Just go to Walmart and get their U1 battery for about $22.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wasn’t sure if it was 6 or 12. I was going to look and see if it had 3 cells or 6.

·
Registered
994 Posts
To remove the battery cover pry up at the space between the battery and cover shown in your first pic where all the marks are. Use both sides of the cover to pry up since the 6 cells (for a 12 volt) are sealed quite well. Levering up on just one side will distort the cover and make removal more difficult. The reason to remove the cover is to check the acid level is above the plates in each cell and add distilled water if low.

As others have said the battery is most likely useless since typical life for those utility batteries is 5 years or less and that one is over 15 years old. The age of the battery suggests the plates are covered in hard sulfate and the acid is problematic. Some experts have techniques to restore batteries in this condition but a new group U1 12 volt battery for a snowblower would be a much better choice.

·
Registered
338 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts