Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was talking to my insurance agent today about my policies and I brought up the snowblower rebuild project (since he finds a lot of the stuff I get involved in interesting). Well, I ended up asking about coverage if someone got hurt with it and what if it did not have the caution warning decals on it. He makes a phone call and comes back that if they find that the original unit had warning decals that were not present on the rebuild, they could claim negligence on my part for not putting the warning labels back on it.

So, for anyone repainting/rebuilding/repairing, and especially for all the flippers out there, make sure that the warning decals are intact and legible. If the machine originally had warning decals, they MUST be present, otherwise in the case of an injury you could end up being held liable.

Now, if the snowblower is old enough to never have had those warnings, so be it. And it doesn't matter if you put a newer warning label on an older machine, or if the warning label isn't "period correct", just as long as there is a warning label that is at least as comprehensive (ie, it can contain more information than the original one did) on the machine when it is in use.

Something to think about... Personally I ordered up the one missing label for my Craftsman rebuild today (my chute top has the warning label already on it, I just needed the one that goes on the auger housing), as well as a replacement auger housing brand label.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
WARNING: DANGER of SERIOUS INJURY or DEATH

DO NOT attempt to use this machine for any purpose
DO NOT put any type of flammable liquid in the fuel tank or elsewhere
NEVER start the engine
DO NOT attempt to move it
DO NOT even look at it without protective eyewear

That should do the job. :icon_whistling:

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Sound advise! I always tried to download a copy of the owner's manuals for those machines I got to flip that didn't come with them, which was most of them.

I gave a printed copy of the manual to the person that bought from me and went over the operation and safety before they left with my driveway with it.

I became so concerned about the liability that I've stopped flipping and now just have fun looking for the ones I want for myself.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
There are no safety stickers or safety devices on THE BROTHERS OF DESTRUCTION. I am the only 1 who runs them and can control them. when they get let out of their cage. to lay waste to anything and everything that stands before them. here in the frozen tundra.:smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027:

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
"Insurance agent" is funny , broker, proxy, a stand between of money. Insurance companies take your cash and invest it, plain and simple. Their biggest cost is ADVERTISING, internet hosting, and claims investigation. There is no side joke:wavetowel2:. Your decals are added to a dangerous machine that you knew was so dangerous, you ordered decals on Amazon or other.
By replacing decals, you're identifying old guilt and accepting new guilt that can't be covered by "agents." That's the secret of "agents", no guilt...........ever.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I believe that warning labels should, by law, have text large enough to read without having to get down on the ground with a magnifying glass.

I got a stand for my mitre saw that has more stickers on it than paint, and all written in microscopic text. By the time I maneuver myself to a position where I can read some of them, I have fallen down and can't get up.

It's time to implement a "Common Sense" test that must be passed by a customer before a store will sell him something that could be dangerous! :wavetowel2:

·
Registered
274 Posts
What if the buyer can't read English? Is it my responsibility to get stickers written in there language? DONT BE STUPID that should cover it, no? Why can't I deny it when Johnny 3 fingers tries to sue me for selling him a machine that removed his fingers. It had stickers on when I sold it. Should sue these people's parents for not having abortions.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I like this:
This ( insert anything here ) Has the potential to hurt , maim , kill , you or others . By reading this you take both your safety and that of others as your own responsibility. You , the owner or operator , alone, are responsible for ensuring that .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts