Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a local report pop up on my phone that medical are on there way to a local man (Tea, SD) as his hand is stuck in the auger. I don't have any other details at this point....(Yep, it's kind of a slow day for news in the Midwest)

We have been dodged this year so far with any major snowstorms but just south of Sioux Falls, they got hammered pretty good today.I know most of us are seasoned veterans when it comes to the operation of snowblowers, however, just tossing out a friendly reminder. Accidents tend to happen, especially when we least expect it or get comfortable while performing our tasks.

I tend to share reminders in any of the forums I belong to. Spend a lot of time on some local/regional fishing forums, but I always seem to read of local stories of season veterans that either drown due to not wearing PFD's, or other accidents, or falling thru the ice.....

I appreciate all the friendly banter on here along with all the helpful posts....it is a lot easier on these forums with 2 hands.

Stay Safe and think twice!

Steve

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
thanks for the reminder steve

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
every year there are a couple skiers or snowboarders killed by hitting a tree. people killed or hurt falling off a roof while shovelling . heart attacks while shovelling. hands and arms cut up by augers , people hit by other motorists while putting on chains.

life can be hazardous. I have had a couple close calls over the years. usually when i'm fatigued or stressed out an i can't think straight.

i learned for the most part to take a deep breath and usually a 5-10 minute break if i feel that i am getting stressed out before proceeding on a potentially dangerous job.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A quick little update on the initial report. His daughter posted an update as the facebook "community" was pretty critical.

"He was trying to clear some snow from the top chute area and his glove was too big and for whatever reason got pulled in and before he could completely pull back it pulled part of his hand in. He will lose about a third of his two middle fingers and have a deep laceration that should survive on his pointer finger. His Pinky is fully intact but has a severe blood blister. He realizes it was a dumb mistake. He is in good spirits and goes in for sugery tomorrow morning."

Uff...those photos above I can only imagine mimic this guys hand.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
IIRC I once suggested making stickers of one of these photos that we could stick on the chute/auger housing.

I'd still be up for contributing to that... in the heat of the moment the fingers we save might be our own.
that's a great idea! the post below is something i have done; cleaning the shute with a gloved hand. really dumb but was lucky did not have an accident.

will never do that again.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Good God, those pictures sure dont leave anything for the imagination.

Sadly people underestimate the power of these machines :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts