Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently received my new snowblower... Platinum 24 SHO (921050). I have to say Ariens customer support seems amazing. Went to register my machine on the website only to find the dealer already did that. I created a user account and sent a support request to have my machine serial number associated with my login. Within 10 minutes of posting the request I received a phone call from Ariens. Also turned out the extended warranty wasn't in place as the dealer put the sales date when they delivered the machine rather than when it was purchased. A free extended warranty was available during the purchase date period. The rep fixed that right up as well.

I'm coming from a 25 year old Honda HS828 which I'm fixing up and will either sell or keep as a backup. The HS828 is the only machine I've previously used, but expect I'll get use to a standard disc transmission in no time. Just some different muscle memory to learn.

Without question both Ariens and Honda make nice equipment, but my personal biases led me to Ariens. Certainly other users may value the aspects of Honda I see as "cons" to be "pros" for them. I was attracted to the more straight forward design of the Ariens. A new Honda would have been almost 2x the price and didn't like the battery based electric start (vs AC which is rarely needed), relatively slow motor operated chute (vs simple mechanical linkage) and lack of heated handgrips. With the increasing frequency of wet snow we are seeing, the Ariens also has more power (369cc vs 270cc) and capacity (73 tons/hr vs 57 tons/hr). Honda has also had some users reporting issues with wet snow clogging the machines which has led to a chute redesign and on this forum many users suggest re-jetting the engine to improve power.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
:welcome: Welcome to the forum and to the Ariens Team. Feel free to post some pics of that shiny new snowblower when you get the chance.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Enjoy your new machine!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The new machine got it's first workout this morning in about 9 inches of wet snow...

* Just marvelous!

* Not a hint of any clogging which was becoming a fairly common occurrence with the 25 year old Honda HS828 it is replacing.

* Having a width of 24 inches vs 28 on the old machine is hardly noticeable.

* Went through the EOD crud just fine. I do wonder if 1st gear might be a bit too fast for a more significant EOD clearing.

* Old paved driveway has some compromised areas, but the auto-turn operated exactly as expected. No unexpected veering off; just nice turns.

* Going wheeled vs track so far seems fine. It climbed the elevation of our driveway OK.

* Upon starting from a stop the front end momentarily lifts a bit. Think I just have to develop better technique of either holding it down or finessing the drive. Will consider weight kit after a bunch more experience with the unit.

* Have to unlearn old muscle memory and relearn. Operating the chute while it's driving with the right hand crossing over to the left side of the panel will take some time to get use to. The chute does move quickly, but haven't learned how to more precisely place it exactly where I want it. It almost feels like the chute moves too quickly.

* Hand warmers are GREAT!

* Getting accustomed to going from a hydrostatic to disk drive will take some time. Have to fight the muscle memory to just shift on the fly. I'm sure it will eventually become 2nd nature.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Awesome !!! Congrats on your purchase. I was flipping back and forth between Honda and Ariens. Ended up "going orange" (LOL). I don't require a 32" machine and if you're buying the Honda, it's practically a no brainer spending the few bucks extra and getting the 32". With Ariens, the 28" has the larger motor. If Honda had done that with their 28" blower, I might very well be sporten "red" instead (LOL). Enjoy. Sounds like you are very satisfied.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far 3 wet snowfalls. No clogging at all. Nothing yet in the 12 inch + range, but I have confidence this 24" platinum will handle that just fine. Having only had tracks in the past, I'm finding the wheeled unit very nice. The Honda track you'd always have to move it under power whereas with wheels I can usually just pull it back without shifting into reverse. I am finding some minor tugging against the auto turn on more degraded parts of our driveway, but still less than the Honda would tug. Still missing that hydrostatic but only rarely making the mistake of shifting while under power. 25 years of old habits are hard to break quickly. Also miss having the bucket locked down, but the price adder for the Rapid Track was just too much for my needs going forward.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congrats on your new Ariens. One year ago I had decided to go with the Ariens 28 Pro Rapidtrak.
That decision came after reading reviews posted by current owners like Steve70. I also looked at the HSS28 Honda but was turned off by “chute gate” (they were not swapping out the chute to the new design) and Honda’s are very expensive here in Canada. I considered a Yamaha for a second until I saw its price tag. So I went to speak to the local Ariens dealer to followup on an earlier quote. He wasn’t there so I left a message for him and a week later still no return call. Well it was January by then and snowfall wasn’t that bad so I said to myself I’ll wait till next season.
Fast forward and it was a record snow year here with over 144 inches....should have better pursued the Rapidtrak!
Anyways off-season I picked a 10 yr old Honda HS928 in great shape. Haven’t used it yet but I’m sure a big snowfall is not far off. I’m sure I would have loved that Rapidtrak.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Congrats, that the one I should have bought...a little overkill for our area....time will tell....

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Recently received my new snowblower... Platinum 24 SHO (921050). I have to say Ariens customer support seems amazing. Went to register my machine on the website only to find the dealer already did that. I created a user account and sent a support request to have my machine serial number associated with my login. Within 10 minutes of posting the request I received a phone call from Ariens. Also turned out the extended warranty wasn't in place as the dealer put the sales date when they delivered the machine rather than when it was purchased. A free extended warranty was available during the purchase date period. The rep fixed that right up as well.

I'm coming from a 25 year old Honda HS828 which I'm fixing up and will either sell or keep as a backup. The HS828 is the only machine I've previously used, but expect I'll get use to a standard disc transmission in no time. Just some different muscle memory to learn.

Without question both Ariens and Honda make nice equipment, but my personal biases led me to Ariens. Certainly other users may value the aspects of Honda I see as "cons" to be "pros" for them. I was attracted to the more straight forward design of the Ariens. A new Honda would have been almost 2x the price and didn't like the battery based electric start (vs AC which is rarely needed), relatively slow motor operated chute (vs simple mechanical linkage) and lack of heated handgrips. With the increasing frequency of wet snow we are seeing, the Ariens also has more power (369cc vs 270cc) and capacity (73 tons/hr vs 57 tons/hr). Honda has also had some users reporting issues with wet snow clogging the machines which has led to a chute redesign and on this forum many users suggest re-jetting the engine to improve power.

not many new users come here and have any idea what a good blower is
you bought a beast also best hp per bucket width and great value for the dollar
you get a gold sbf star
be interesting to get your feedback VS the hs828
Other then the Honda having a tighter impeller drum I think the sho should outperform it

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is the exact model I’m considering. I was thinking about the EFI. This would replace an old yard machine that could never get the job done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts