Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Video kinda gives you an idea what your machine should be doing.. Properly adjusted belts should look like this video.

Tks for the great pics and vide. I do have a good bit of metal and mug welder. Recon I’ll break them out at fab as you did. Tks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
did you figure it out yet? pulleys getting so hot doesnt sound like it just needs guides.
Think I’ll loosen up the belts a bit them fab up the shown guides. Finding out this blower has all kinds of problems. Traction is slipping as I discovered yesterday and believe the large pulley on the drive is so worn down that the bottom of the belt is hitting the bottom of the pulley groove and not contacting the sides enough to gain good fiction. Machine is the worst I’ve ever worked on. :(

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Cdestuck, adjusting your belts ......,
After your brackets are fabricated the adjustment should be that when idler pulley is pushing the belts into engine pulley the new guides should have air gap between the belt and themselves. When idler tension is released the belts should rest on the new guides and NOT be touching the engine pulley. Sometimes it takes a few adjustments to get this to work properly, just be patient. After building several custom machines I've found it best to have a fixed finger on idler side, then an adjustable one on the opposite side. Usually I slot the adjustable side for more travel to get it just right.
As far as tension on the belts is concerned I like to have the belts fully engaged with 1/2 to 3/4 of the auger lever/handle travel movement, if that makes sense to you. I find most machines are way over tensioned and prematurely wear the belts out, then there is no more adjustments to be made and belt replacement is only option. Please post up any questions you might have and we will get you up and running with your project.

Reactions: cdestuck

·
Premium GOT Member
8,709 Posts
Think I’ll loosen up the belts a bit them fab up the shown guides. Finding out this blower has all kinds of problems. Traction is slipping as I discovered yesterday and believe the large pulley on the drive is so worn down that the bottom of the belt is hitting the bottom of the pulley groove and not contacting the sides enough to gain good fiction. Machine is the worst I’ve ever worked on. :(
Thanks. Personally when I find a machine like this it is delegated to a parts machine. Otherwise it becomes a money pit. Otherwise it is a time waster which at my age is more of a hazard.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Before doing too much, and if you have original belt for the machine verses after market, try running the machine and clearing snow I bet the belts will wear in and be perfect after. Put a patch on the plastic part (guard) that might be enough to push the belts down a bit and give the clearance at the pulleys.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Before doing too much, and if you have original belt for the machine verses after market, try running the machine and clearing snow I bet the belts will wear in and be perfect after. Put a patch on the plastic part (guard) that might be enough to push the belts down a bit and give the clearance at the pulleys.
I could fab up some oak to attach inside of the guard for the back of the belts to ride against. Great idea.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I didn't read every detail of the thread, but let me suggest one thing. This might not solve your problem, but it might help somebody reading this. I think my machine has a similar setup. My impeller-drive belts were flopping around a lot, and I found that the two big pulleys on the impeller shaft were coming loose from the shaft. For my machine, there is a part 9480360, pulley adapter, that fastens the pulleys to the shaft. It is like a flange that is splined to the shaft. It has three dogs that mate with holes in the pulleys. The assembly is bolted onto the end of the shaft. The bolt had come loose, and the endmost pulley had come off the dogs and was skewed away from square: it had maybe a half inch of lateral runout. I fixed that problem, and that reduced the belt flopping. I'm attaching a picture of the parts used in a similar setup. Consult a parts diagram for the details of your machine.
Wheel Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Circle

But yes, the belt guard/cover acts as a belt guide, so you should expect the belts are flopping less when you can't see them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Video kinda gives you an idea what your machine should be doing.. Properly adjusted belts should look like this video.

that thing is spinnnning the impeller..love it......what size dual pulley is that and where did you find that?

im waiting for a nice donor - busted machine to build my own "franken" lol no replacement for displacement....lol

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
that thing is spinnnning the impeller..love it......what size dual pulley is that and where did you find that?

im waiting for a nice donor - busted machine to build my own "franken" lol no replacement for displacement....lol
Electric motor warehouse ( Pulley & Sheaves for Electric Motors - Electric Motor Warehouse )
This is where you can find your pulleys, the size you need will be based on what impeller speed you are trying to get to.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts