Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Everyone
I have a two stage Sears(26) craftsman snow thrower(31AS6DTF799) I bought new in 2008. This recent winter my thrower started to emit a squeal and then a rattle coming from the Auger belt, the belt also worn into the belt cover. Engine runs smooth, Auger and drive function well. I replaced the belts, plug and oil. Unfortunately the Auger belt replacement did not fix the issue. I've adjusted the cable with no success. Can anyone advise?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Squealing is always a belt slipping or a bad bearing. Belt can be too loose or wet, if a bearing then dry or rusty.

Because you replaced the belt with the right size does not mean it is the correct length. You need to check how much slack is in the belt when not running and when the auger is engaged. For the belt to wear into the cover, the belt may be too long creating too much slap. Take off the cover and watch the belt, then engage it. Look for sloppiness or slap.

Check the idler pulley bearing. The idler pulley should turn easily, smoothly, also not wobble. Best if you remove it and check with your fingers off the machine for roughness.

Check the larger auger pulley.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts