Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
How often should I be changing belts? Proactively? Only when they fail?
Are there adjustments that allow belts to work longer?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
The drive belt generally has no adjustment, the auger belt generally has an adjustment.

I check them every season and only replace them as they look like they need to. Generally the auger belt gets stretched as the load is applied each time, this is adjustable. If it's too tight the idler pulley bearing will go prematurely.

I try to buy only Kevlar belts, and from specific manufacturers because of the accuracy of the belt sizing. I always keep cheap belts around as spares but some belts are $3-$6. A Kevlar drive belt for my machine is only $8 and since it's a very common belt, 3 of my machines use them, I have a Kevlar spare and a cheap spare. Drive belts could last 20 years, auger belts 10, however how much snow do you get? The more you use it, the faster you will go through belts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
should i have only 2 belts for ariens sno tek 20in One big one small? Can't remember how i took them off. Small for drive belt and the other to auger pulley?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
For a machine that size, I'd expect 2 belts total. On my Ariens, the pulley closest to the engine is for the drive system, and the pulley further from the engine is for the auger pulley.

I keep a spare for each belt on my blower, I don't want to be caught short in a storm. But I don't replace them proactively, I'm waiting for a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts