Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, how often do you replace your belts? Do you wait for wear to show or do you replace them on a time schedule?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
863 Posts
I am still on my original belts on my 25 yr old Hondas with well over 500 hours on each machine with very severe usage. Maybe Honda just used good belts, but normally you shouldnt have to replace belts every year, usually just when they show wear. They usually break when you are using the machine clearing snow, "Murphy's Law". Do inspect them every year or more often to try and avoid that from happening when in use.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Wait until they break, or if they look like it but they have to really look like it, or if they are stretched and slipping, the latter being common.

Reactions: CantonDan

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
When the belt adjustment has been used up and there is more than a half inch of deflection in tensioned run with the clutch engaged. With more slack in belt it will heat-up from slipping and then de-laminate.

·
Registered
165 Posts
No schedule, just check them good, when you service it, before putting it away for the season. I also have a set hanging on the wall, just in case one breaks. Keep a set of shear pins handy too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Change your belts when they are cracked or stretched.Doing it when you have time is better than waiting til they break.If you wait,it’ll break right in the middle of use,usually during a storm.I keep extra set just in case.Dragging it back from 2 houses away is embarrassing.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
i usually do it when they break but it is definitely a good idea to inspect for abnormal wear or damage and make sure you adjust the belts as needed. if you run out of adjustment and it still slips then it needs to be replaced but most machines are pretty good and have quite a bit of adjustment but some machines have way more adjustment than others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts