Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My simplicity project is well underway, and there is a lot to do. (Its a bit of a wreck) I currently have the machine 70% torn down and i'm currently addressing the the auger, impeller, and gearbox. One of the augers and the impeller were horribly rusted to their shafts. Holy cow were they stuck. I had to use SO MUCH heat and an air hammer to get things apart, but at least it came apart.

On to the mangled impeller, it was a disaster. Every blade was bent to some degree, the backing plate was completely deformed, plus the air hammer did a number on the softened metal from heating.

But its back in business! It takes a ton of force to beat these things straight and you need a good way to hold it. Fortunately I'm well equipped.

Using a hydraulic press I came up with an effective system of holding the impeller so I can pound it into shape. This may be handy for anyone in the same boat.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's a really good idea. I've thought many times about buying one of these. Now I have another excuse...:devil:

That's some husky steel on that impeller, and pounding it back into shape, as anyone who has tried knows, takes a lot of force.
A few times in the past, I was worried that the pounding would literally break the bench vise away from the bench. :surprise:

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
That's a good idea. run across a lot of bent impellers on old Honda's. they are currently in scrap heap. i havent given up on them . was trying tp figure a way to straighten them . just bought that monster vice that Costco sells but have not found a good anker for it.

do you heat these before pounding them back in shape? i have a wood stove and thought about placing the impeller in it .

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a good idea. run across a lot of bent impellers on old Honda's. they are currently in scrap heap. i havent given up on them . was trying tp figure a way to straighten them . just bought that monster vice that Costco sells but have not found a good anker for it.

do you heat these before pounding them back in shape? i have a wood stove and thought about placing the impeller in it .
I didn’t have to heat it to pound it straight. The press held it rock solid and I just went to town with 2 mini sledges.

Using the stove would be very blacksmith of you. That would certainly reduce the effort needed to pound it back.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
The big question I have is what does someone do to the poor machine to tear it up like that? Try to blow baseball size rocks?

·
Banned
474 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's basically the way I do it too. The ram on my press can move side to side, so I move the impeller all the way over till it touches the side upright and cant spin. Then I "calibrate" whatever is out of wack with an 18" crescent wrench.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts