Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a winter project, and I think it may be a pimped out old blower. I will be upfront and say that I'm not too familiar with them, Which is why I would like input on what I should start with.
I currently have and old craftsman that I have a million ideas of how to customize it to make it better and more user friendly, but I'm not sure if it is the best candidate for the project. I have 15 years of welding and design experience, and very mechanically inclined. I have access to a full welding shop including a cnc plasma table, and that is also where I rebuilt the 5.9 cummins in my work truck.

Any thoughts on what I should start with?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
]

That is a sweet build, but really the opposite of what I am thinking. I have done the overpowered muscle car that can't take full throttle til half track, and I guess I have outgrown the big motor thing.

I'm thinking more custom details with 10 or 12 horses pulling a 28" 3 stage. Lots of custom parts and design. I'm not really sure. Maybe I will just work on this one until I find the perfect host.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I would go with the auger and housing that supports the 14" 6 blade impeller It can better harness the velocity and power generated by the twin cylinder engine. Nice piece no matter what but it would be a leap ahead

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I was to run a big twin it would be a 48" with a 14" 4 blade with the blade width doubled and a 20% increase in impeller speed. That would theoretically move more than twice the snow. If you go more than 20% more power than stock, in my opinion, you need a custom impeller, or it is a waste.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Or would you all rather see a 22/48 20" impellered monster? A 60" swath? The sky really is the limit after all. Maybe I will have to work on some ideas and take a poll, or would that interest this forum?

Edit: after a few minutes of pondering, 48" is the widest I would be willing to go. At least that would fit in between the fenderwells of a truck.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I agree, the limit is your imagination, specially having access to the right equipment(but you got all that).
To do a 48" blower you may want to use part of a garden tractor for the drive.
If I was you, and do not want to start with a 24-28" blower, I'd start with a 924 series(?) Ariens ST1136, ST1236 or ST1336. This are some of the type that have a 14" 6 bladed impeller and tall chute.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
mcflyfyter: Because I am a crappy welder with a great welding machine, I had this crazy idea of bolting two hydrostatic garden tractors side by side capping off the inside axle each (hsblowersfan advised I would need to weld the differential solid) to separately drive tracks. Dedicate one engine to power the both hydrostatic axles and dedicate the other engine to power the snow blower.

And as an owner of an Ariens ST1032 of similar vintage as the Ariens ST1236 pictured above, I will tell you that the sheet metal on those monsters is thick, and those machines are bullet proof, and would be a good starting point for a custom redesign. But they are heavy and underpowered and not for mere mortals to use - that is unless they attached to the front of your custom dual garden tractor track drive machine.

Whatever you do, post pictures.

And if you were close by, I'd ask you to help me rebuild my 7.3 PSD!

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
if i were the op, with those resources, id take bits and pieces from a few machines, add in engineering cues from the big 3 (4) and build a blower from the ground up......just imagine ariens and toro durability with more performance than a honda or yamaha ! a real bad a$$ 24" blower would impress me more than a 48" monster, but thats just me.

Reactions: Hanky

·
Registered
485 Posts
My two cents...

If it was me I'd build the smallest two stage, tracked snowblower with existing parts. I'm thinking there must be an 18" or 20" machine that could be adapted to tracks.
Or how about a single stage tracked machine?

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
If it was me I'd build the smallest two stage, tracked snowblower with existing parts. I'm thinking there must be an 18" or 20" machine that could be adapted to tracks.
Those are interesting ideas.
Honda HS50(?) and HS55 may be 22" wide. I have a tracked HS55(project) and I think it is only 22" wide, that is the smallest tracked blower that I know of.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have never ran a tracked machine, but it seems counterproductive to have tracks on a small machine. If I were to build a small machine I would have to be able to sprint behind it or it would be a waste.

I am planning to pick up a toro 824qxe and a new stihl tomorrow if they will cut me a deal (blower for the wife, and the saw for me). I was thinking an aluminum version of the qxe with a hopped up honda clone would be light and awesome.

Keep the ideas flowing and I will keep an eye out for potential projects.

·
Super Moderator
2,681 Posts
I've done a couple of Craftsman blowers. Big Bertha started as a 10 HP 36" and ended up as a 10 hp 26" blower due to a garage door limitation. The other was a 10HP 36" 3 stage that stayed those dimensions.
Big complaint I had was the single control for both the auger and drive, but there's a fix for that too. With proper maintenance, the ones with the Tecumseh transmission are probably some of the strongest units in that class you can find for a decent price. I've bought, rebuilt and sold several, and still have a couple in the shed right now. One needs an engine and the other is a keeper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts