Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone from the Buffalo area of Western New York. I have been through a number of gloves for snow removal and am trying to find a really good pair to use. I don't have hand warmer grips on any of my 3 snow blowers and that's OK. I have tried many different gloves - those with the thumb/fingers type leave my finger tips cold within 30 - 45 minutes, but I can still handle objects (tools) if I need to. I have tried the mittens, they keep my hands warmer but I can't do very much, like grabbing a tool, because my fingers are together! Would appreciate any recommendations!!
Tim

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
I dunno.... I have always used my ski gloves and they work fine though they are just a bit bulky.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I currently use the higher-end Carhartt gloves ($25/pair) that work really well. I've also used several pair of high-quality skiing gloves over the years and have never had an issue with my hands getting cold one bit.

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
gloves

Hello Everyone from the Buffalo area of Western New York. I have been through a number of gloves for snow removal and am trying to find a really good pair to use. I don't have hand warmer grips on any of my 3 snow blowers and that's OK. I have tried many different gloves - those with the thumb/fingers type leave my finger tips cold within 30 - 45 minutes, but I can still handle objects (tools) if I need to. I have tried the mittens, they keep my hands warmer but I can't do very much, like grabbing a tool, because my fingers are together! Would appreciate any recommendations!!
Tim
====================================================================================================

Go to the Gemplers web site and purchase the green "gorilla" heavy cotton work gloves by the dozen as they will work and you will have several pairs to work with that will be drying as you use others.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I've got a bunch of stuff I've tried over the years. The snowmobile gloves work well. The mitten style works well. There's always the loss of dexterity with these, but that may not be a big deal considering the activity.

I've found with the heated grips I can get away with a much lighter glove and gain some dexterity back. I guess this is my preference.

I do find myself tearing the palm area of the glove when it's not re-enforced. So, a glove with extra padding in the palm area seems to be a benefit. I've got an $8 pair of leather (insulated) work gloves from Home Depot that work great in conjunction with the heated grips. Those don't rip.

If it's very cold, and one is without heated grips, you can get those little hand warmer pouches and put those inside a mitten style glove. That's a reasonable solution and will keep extremities much warmer.

And then there were heated gloves .... :smiley-gen125:

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
One of the best tricks I've tried over the years is to sweet talk the wifey into doing the cleaning.. JUST KIDDING! :smile_big:

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I use a pair of thick winter work gloves now but in the past I used my thin scuba diving gloves. They were perfect to work all the controls and kept my hands warm and dry. They run about $10 on eBay and come in 1.5, 3 and 5mm depending on how warm you want.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
gloves

Tim
====================================================================================================

Go to the Gemplers web site and purchase the green "gorilla" heavy cotton work gloves by the dozen as they will work and you will have several pairs to work with that wil be drying as you use others.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
One of the best tricks I've tried over the years is to sweet talk the wifey into doing the cleaning.. JUST KIDDING! :smile_big:
Joe, sometimes when I get home from work, my wife will have pulled out the Toro CCR 2000 and have it done for me. Priceless!!!

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Joe, sometimes when I get home from work, my wife will have pulled out the Toro CCR 2000 and have it done for me. Priceless!!!
Poor me... My sweetie can't tell the difference between a rototiller and a snowblower. But, it's OK. She is still one heck of a wonderful wife.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I use my Gerbing Hybrid T5 heated gloves. They are used primarily for my motorcycle riding in the cold spring and fall but are really great for winter snowblowing. They are pricey at $150.00 but worth every penny. They are also waterproof. If you can afford them, you won`t need another pair of gloves for 10 years or more especially if only used for winter snowblowing.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Poor me... My sweetie can't tell the difference between a rototiller and a snowblower. But, it's OK. She is still one heck of a wonderful wife.
Joe,
Wonderful Wife = Wonderful Life!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dhazelton, I decided to try the gloves you recommended, regular price was $49.99 got them on sale for 24.99, will let everyone know how it works out. Thanks everyone for the suggestions - will keep all of them in mind if these gloves don't work out.
Tim

1 - 20 of 51 Posts