Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a bit of fuel in mine along with some seafoam and gave it a “swisharoo”, and a dump. Thought that did the trick, but last night I noticed there were some “grungies” still inside.

Wondering if I can dump the fuel, leave cap off until everything dries out. Then I’m thinking of flushing it with water and then let it dry out upside down for a day or two.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
a down stream filter or a new jug

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Take a bunch of old bolts, nuts and whatever else. Steel shot, buckshot and dump a pound of them in there. Add some water and shake the living daylights out of it. Rinse out with soapy water, rinse again.with clear water and swish some kerosene and drain well, for a few hours. Done and done.
You're welcome.:smile2:

Works on rusty gas tanks too.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Kerosene is terrific for the final rinse because it leaves a residue to coat the inside but yet mixes with gasoline going forward.

A solid suggestion Micah.

Reactions: micah68kj

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention the jerry can is plastic, not metal. I’m guessing the nuts and bolts, buckshot, etc are for a metal can?

For plastic can I skip that step and go straight to soapy rinse, then clear rinse, followed by a kerosene swish, and dry?

Same would apply for fuel tanks?

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
I forgot to mention the jerry can is plastic, not metal. I’m guessing the nuts and bolts, buckshot, etc are for a metal can?

For plastic can I skip that step and go straight to soapy rinse, then clear rinse, followed by a kerosene swish, and dry?

Same would apply for fuel tanks?
If it is plastic I would still empty a small pack of kid's BB gun BBs in there, along with some kerosene, and gently swish for a few minutes. Let it sit for a couple hours or so with the bb/kerosene still in it and swish again. Empty it and wash well with soapy water.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
If you have grungies in the container, plastic or metal, nuts would be the best because of the pointy corners. With plastic, you can skip the kerosene, no need to coat. Kerosene is less explosive than gasoline and less vapors are left thus also less explosive. Soap and water is best. I prefer Krud Kutter, Dawn is an alternative.

·
Registered
834 Posts
+1 for soap and water with nuts for the plastic cans. And the pressure of the hose will help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’d like to start using trufuel in my trimmer and chainsaw. Would the same apply to cleaning out the fuel tanks on these machines?
Or can I simply dump the old fuel, swish out with some seafoam, and let it dry before trufuel ?

·
Registered
758 Posts
I've had good luck with the trufuel, and just started a Toro lawnmower that had not been fired up in two years quite easily.
I did have problems starting a Honda generator EU2000i after I left Trufuel in the carb bowl for 6 months.(photo)

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you have grungies in the container, plastic or metal, nuts would be the best because of the pointy corners. With plastic, you can skip the kerosene, no need to coat. Kerosene is less explosive than gasoline and less vapors are left thus also less explosive. Soap and water is best. I prefer Krud Kutter, Dawn is an alternative.

Dawn is one of the best cleaners I have ever used. It will take serious grease off your hands without even using hot water. Even better than Go-Jo, in my honest opinion.....( although my wife likes to say that I don't have an opinion...hmmmn) :surprise:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had good luck with the trufuel, and just started a Toro lawnmower that had not been fired up in two years quite easily.
I did have problems starting a Honda generator EU2000i after I left Trufuel in the carb bowl for 6 months.(photo)
This is troubling. I’ve left trufuel for months in my snowblower. It starts/runs like a boss.

Should be the same for the Honda genny’ s??

Honda’s are nice and easy to drain the carb though.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I did not drain the carb, unfortunately, and had to bring it back to the dealer. I was surprised too, since I thought that trufuel would hold up for six months. I use it in the Honda snowblower and that always starts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe just a fluke? A co worker left his snowblower for 2 years (trufuel). And it’s only “good” for 2 years. Started no problem.

Unless there’s something special about Honda genny carbs? I mean they DO have a valve and drain tube to make it very easy so maybe it needs to be drained for whatever reason?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Maybe just a fluke? A co worker left his snowblower for 2 years (trufuel). And it’s only “good” for 2 years. Started no problem.

Unless there’s something special about Honda genny carbs? I mean they DO have a valve and drain tube to make it very easy so maybe it needs to be drained for whatever reason?
Well, the EU2000i has a tiny carb. It's only a 2000 watt generator. At the shop, they showed me a 3000 watt Honda with a gas tank that was all gunked up. The snowblowers don't seem to have any problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts