Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Never seen one of those before. I'm going to guess it's 4 wheel drive.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Here is video of one of those.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
That isn't my video. I have never used one before. Thanks for the welcome. No one told me there was going to be a test before I could register. I had to google the answer to the verification question!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is the best drive system ever.

I have a White model 855 4x4 that is identical to the cub cadet in the photo. I have a very steep driveway and the low gear and 4x4 keep me from falling down when descending and the 4x4 pulls me up the icy hill with no problems. It is a very stable platform and much easier to steer than a tracked snowblower.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I have a White model 855 4x4 that is identical to the cub cadet in the photo. I have a very steep driveway and the low gear and 4x4 keep me from falling down when descending and the 4x4 pulls me up the icy hill with no problems. It is a very stable platform and much easier to steer than a tracked snowblower.
Ive seen them before, and wonderd how they steered. Im used to the normal one axle snowblower, and with those your able to kinda toss them around a bit. How are the 4 wheelers when you are working in tight spots?

·
Registered
7 Posts
4x4 Chicago Blizzard Busting Machine

The 4x4 blower is amazingly agile. Steerable wheel drive requires only finger pressure to change direction. It has levers underneath the handles that can release power on one side. That allows it to act like a skid steer. If you use both levers it is like putting the machine in neutral which is handy for backing up without shifting to reverse and moving the machine around. With snow on the ground and depressing one lever it will easily turn 180 degrees and head back up my drive. It has the maneuverability of a wheeled machine with the traction and stability of a tracked machine. The extra traction is especially nice when the snow is deep or my inclined driveway is icy. It is the best of both worlds. My one complaint in the past has been the electric motor chute, but I have resolved that issue. The electric motor on the snow chute will fail if you allow it to hit the left and right stops. (The motor keeps turning when it hits the stop and this strips the gear if you do not let off the switch. I placed reference marks on the chute so I no longer hit the left and right stops and therefore no longer damage gears of the electric chute motor. The electric chute motor is expensive to replace, $360.00-$267.00 from MTD. I used a 1999 Chevy Lumina window motor as replacement. It cost $50.00 from Advance auto parts and it has a lifetime warranty. I had to tap threads into the mounting holes of the unit, but otherwise it was a direct bolt on. 4-wheel drive, Fingertip controled power steering, 26" clearing path, heated hand grips, Electric chute rotation, grease fittings everywhere, Large skid shoes, Powerful OHV engine, this thing is a Cadillac. Blizzard pictures attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same as the MTD built track drive models. I have one and absolutely love it. If/when I replace mine, I hope to replace it with the newest version of it. Great traction, steering and love the weight transfer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
4x4 white 8.5 HP

I also have a White 4x4 that needs a chute motor replacement.
You mentioned using a car window motor.
Can you tell me which window motor to order; drivers side or passenger side?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Meh..I'm underwhelmed. My traction is perfectly fine with two wheels..IMO the only thing four wheels would give you is unnecessary added complexity and more things that can break down..I would place this in the "gimmick" catagory.
I agree with ya, Scot.
Been blowing snow for years and never needed chains, tracks or anything else to move my blowers. In a few cases additional traction may be necessary but I haven't been in any of those situations yet. If your constantly spinning, slipping etc you're more than likely overrunning you auger's ability to get rid of the snow. But, to each his own. There's buyers out there for whatever is on the market.

·
Retired Moderator
9,928 Posts
I'm curious how well it cleans since the addition of the second axle needs weight to add any traction and that weight would partially come off the auger housing bearing down on the scraper bar and skids.
For packed snow is it more likely to try and climb over it ??

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Unless, it has an adjustable auger height mechanism, similar to most tracked machines.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts