Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna see what you guys think. I personally think that the ariens 10000 series blowers knock everything out of the park. The only thing I don’t like is the short chute but other than that it is a literal tank. Cast iron everything. Also I like the toro power shift because of it no shear pin feature and giant augers. What do you guys think? Here’s a pic of my new machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I'm partial to Simplicity also, especially the Professional series as shown above with the rectangular tubing. However Nothing Nothing can beat the 12hp Gravely Convertible, all gear driven, all cast iron, 2 speed auger, weighs 600 lb. It will bury a tunnel in a State plowed 12' packed mound at an intersection. It will throw across a 4 lane street and hit the buildings on the other side of the sidewalks.

Reactions: ST1100A

·
Registered
669 Posts
I second the 10,000 series Ariens - and if I had to narrow it down further, I'd nominate the 910962/910995 combination and it's alt modeled twins such as the 10962/10995.

When looking across the nation on CL to see what old school used blowers others are selling - the most common blower I see of any make/model is an Ariens 10k with the "7HP dual attachment handled/one lefty under clutch lever" setup.

Most every time, it's a '962/'995. It may have a replacement Tec motor, it may have a Predator...but they seem to be in every area of the country in high numbers yet today.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I don't think my old Gilson is the "best" but it could be in the top 10 conversation. Like most folks, I'm always disappointed when I see peeling paint and rust bubbles on many machines built in the last 20 years. Yet, old iron from the 1970's and 1980's look like they'll easily survive another 40+ years with proper maintenance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
I third the Ariens 10,000 series. Definitely "hall of fame" worthy!
I bought my 1971 Ariens in 2009.. a decade later its still my primary snowblower, in the lake effect snow belt of Western NY.
And its the machine that inspired my Ariens webpage.

I now have two 1971 Ariens and a '91, im basically set for life.

Scot

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Reactions: Yanmar Ronin

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Of the 10000 series, I prefer the 910019 and the 910018, models...1973 and 74. Love the old design with the more modern safety. My first choice would be any of the 924 series, with my preference being the 4 bolt bigger wheels...but love them all. Third choice would be the mighty Powershift for operation and quality of build, but not first choice because of maintenance and parts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd Say Honda Snowblowers. I got the 1332 Model. More pros than cons for me wins this snowblower. I am young and able to move it, so may not be for older people

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I'm partial to Simplicity also, especially the Professional series as shown above with the rectangular tubing. However Nothing Nothing can beat the 12hp Gravely Convertible, all gear driven, all cast iron, 2 speed auger, weighs 600 lb. It will bury a tunnel in a State plowed 12' packed mound at an intersection. It will throw across a 4 lane street and hit the buildings on the other side of the sidewalks.
I had a Gravely snowblower something or other along with the sickle bar for cutting brush along with a useless plow blade. Not sure I place that on my list of recommendations.

I HAD ONE OF THOSE DOGS!!! Definitely NOT in the best category including the sickle bar. And that sucker was long! Memory of it makes me shudder.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
How far we have advanced from yesterday. I once loved my buddy's Model A Ford ......off track, so back to old snowblowers.

Yes today's machines along with many dating back 30 years or so started to include electric start, lights, heated grips and available cabs. Sure, some of those features may have been available as an extra option whereas today most with the exception of a cab are standard

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I had a Gravely snowblower something or other along with the sickle bar for cutting brush along with a useless plow blade. Not sure I place that on my list of recommendations.
Many have owned the first, the older 7.6hp, I can understand your disdain.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
I wanna see what you guys think. I personally think that the ariens 10000 series blowers knock everything out of the park. The only thing I don’t like is the short chute but other than that it is a literal tank. Cast iron everything. Also I like the toro power shift because of it no shear pin feature and giant augers. What do you guys think? Here’s a pic of my new machine.
You think the Drum Augers are big on the POWERSHIFT???? You Better Have a LOOKSEE at The OLD SCHOOL TORO'S. :eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k:

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm partial to Simplicity, which is what I used growing up. They've been making essentially the same chassis for over 30 years now. Rock solid.

I have one just like that although I've been favoring my John Deere 260's 42" blower attachment, I like using the 860 for the lighter stuff, and getting the end of the driveway cleared out. I noticed a couple of years ago after I moved in that the guy down the road from me has one too.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
My favorite snowblower was the Honda HS50, circa 1980. The paint is still bright red with little or no rust. I never broke a sheer pin in the 8 years I owned it. That is probably because the previous owner replaced the sheer pins with regular bolts. I have already broken 2 sheer pins on my new Honda HSS724.

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Even with the new Ariens 28 DLX my vote is for my old 2 stick 10000. how many other snowblowers could you set in motion blowing snow and let go and walk over to your coffee cup grab a drink and walk back and and continue as you were... try that with the new ones!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
For the consumer the best choice was the single stage snow blower made by the following manufacturers in no particular order from 1967-1990

1. WheelHorse

2. Simplicity

3. John Deere

4. International Harvester Company

5. Grasshopper-they still offer a single stage shaft driven snow thrower in their product line the last time I checked.

The older machines used the belt drive to a gearbox or V belt pulleys in the case of wheel horse and International Harvester and Simplicity and john Deere to the snow blower rotor chain drive for each model.

The larger wheel horses had Renault engines in them and they still employed a small V belt from the engine crankshaft to a drive pulley for the PTO shaft to the belly mower gearbox and for the snow blower.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't have the long history with snow blowers that some of you guys do, and certainly not spanning generations. So my favorite so far is the Ariens Deluxe 24 in large part because of the Auto Turn, which for me has so far worked perfectly.

My first snowblower was an Ariens 724 which we ended up giving to my wife's father when he got to his mid 60's and still insisted on shoveling his ~300 foot driveway. The man had zero mechanical ability and I don't know that he ever even used it, but hey ya do what ya can for family. When he passed it went to one of my wife's brothers, who also has a very long driveway.

The 724 was replaced by an 824 that worked fine, but when I got to my mid to late 60's that straight shaft axle was beginning to be a bit much of a workout, combined with some cardiac, knee, and shoulder issues. So I gave that one to the other BIL and bought the Deluxe 24, which so far I'm very happy with.

Oh, along the way I experimented with an Ariens Path Pro SS found on CL, but it was a bit more effort to use than I thought it would be so it is destined to be given to a relative later on. There's nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell, it just isn't what I thought it would be.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts