Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. I am in the market for an older two-stage machine. 60s, 70s type machines, the cool old steel ones, like Ariens, Toro, and even the old Craftsmans appeal. My needs this winter are being mostly met this winter with my Honda single stage, so I am not in a rush. I know how craigslist looks in the winter, but I've never shopped in the Spring/Summer. Will it be a desert in the warm weather? My priorities are price, completeness, functionality, and cosmetics, in that order.

Thanks to all. This site is a great asset to wintry societies. :smiley-greet025:

·
Registered
295 Posts
There are certainly less machines in the spring and summer, although you can definitely find good deals. I've found that in early spring, just after the hope for any snow has past, good deals can be found on CL, especially those snowblowers that just sat all winter long for one reason or another. There are a number of guys on this forum who purposefully wait to purchase anything until the weather warms up so that they have summer projects. Then come late fall/early winter, those same projects make it back to CL.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
I keep an eye on CL all year long, just missed a toro 521 with electric start for $70

·
Registered
381 Posts
Look on auctionzip for spring equipment auctions. Usually tons of snowblowers and no one bids on them because they don't want to think about winter.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Yes keeping an eye out for good deals all the time, Found the little ariens in real good shape that sat too long for $50, New carb and new owner. Had that one for 2 days and is at the owners house now. I may buy a cheap shed and pick a few up in the spring to fix and make some winter money next winter.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I say that right now is the time to get a bargain......anyone wanting to sell is motivated at the end of the season....that said...give the seller a break, and if a sweet Snapper, or Ariens or Toro or Jacobsen or Gilson or whatever comes up for reasonable money....pay what you think it is worth. I've got some really cool classic iron in wonderful shape....ir I give you a giveaway price and you try to knock me down more...you don't get a blower.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Buy in BULK..... I try and buy 3/4/5 machines at a time from the same guys. Price drops pretty good buying that many at once.. GLuck, Jay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, that didn't take long

$25! Yard equipment outfit was selling off a few oldies at this price, so I picked up a 724 Ariens 10970. H70 engine with clean oil is not running. It looks like it is missng some kill switch wiring. Maybe by next winter I will have her spruced up some.
Thanks for the responses.

·
Super Moderator
2,672 Posts
I have to agree that the end of winter to spring is a decent time to look. People are sick of winter and want to get rid of reminders of winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts