Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped in to see my buddy bob yesterday and give some advice about the repairs he's doing on his Goldwing. somehow we got to talking about snowblowers and he asked if I had another toro 521. I told him I had two which I was keeping and that the others had been sold. then I told him I had a 624 powershift and he got all excited about the 6hp Tecumseh on it and said it was a big block, so tell me what the heck is he talking about

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Hello William. Never heard that term applied to small engines, especially Tecumseh. Maybe he figures it is larger than the 5 hp he inquired about?

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
I would venture to guess that anything over 5hp is thought of as a big block by the elders of a different generation. even though now most of them have now gone before us. they would never fathom a machine with 11,12,13 Horsepower on a snowblower let alone a lawnmower.:eek:mg::RantExplode::emoticon-south-park

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no it wasn't about the hp he said something about the 6hp motor being an 8hp block with a smaller piston. he was a trained Tecumseh tec and now has his own ope repair shop. age wise I'm a few years older than he is but I was interested in motorcycles growing up not lawn mowers and snowblowers so I'm still learning about those

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
no it wasn't about the hp he said something about the 6hp motor being an 8hp block with a smaller piston. he was a trained Tecumseh tec and now has his own ope repair shop. age wise I'm a few years older than he is but I was interested in motorcycles growing up not lawn mowers and snowblowers so I'm still learning about those
That is because they are the same block. just different GOV'S in them.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Interesting topic, I have heard Paul of movingsnow.com refer to some of these engines as "big block design." Regarding LCT's offerings I would venture to say any engine they manufacture that holds 32oz. or more of oil capacity can be considered "big block design."

·
Registered
550 Posts
Tecumseh made 'small blocks' up to 5 horsepower. The tag would show as HS5 HS4 and lower. The big block started with 4 horsepower up to 9 or 10. Those tags would show H4 H5 H6 and so on. Also the big block had a sheet metal base that bolted to the crankcase.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
The 8hp and larger are the "Big" Blocks. The 5-7 have the same footprint, and the 8 and up is placed 1 1/2 inches back from the small block position. This ST 824 Chassis illustrates the difference. The Studs were for the 8hp engine, but you will notice another set of mounting holes for the 7hp.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
The 8hp and larger are the "Big" Blocks. The 5-7 have the same footprint, and the 8 and up is placed 1 1/2 inches back from the small block position. This ST 824 Chassis illustrates the difference. The Studs were for the 8hp engine, but you will notice another set of mounting holes for the 7hp.
And further back more there is another set of holes for the bigger block engines.....?
At least that is the case with Honda engines, they have 3 mounting locations from the GX140 to the GX390.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sounds like it works the same for small engines as it does for car engines. In high school I use to hang out with guy that rebuilt small block Chevy engines. If I remember correctly they used the same block for a 265 to the 350 and every thing in between. Just bigger pistons and longer strokes. I had a 400 small block in a 72 chevy pickup but with those they had to change the cooling ports, I think they removed the center ones to accompany the bigger pistons but the block was the same size.

I could be wrong, this was in the early 70's and my old timers may be kickin' in here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts