Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently brought my Ariens ST28 291CC into the garage from the shed, and fired it up. It started great, but spit a bunch of black oily residue onto the blower hopper, through the muffler. I did stand it up in Spring to change the oil and service it. Do I need to be concerned about this? It is the very first Fall I have owned this machine, but it seems to run fine.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Check your oil level and just clean it up with a rag soaked in hand cleaner.
and clean up around the air box and inside the air box with the same rag as well.
It will stink for a while and eventually stop smoking.

Why did you not leave it on the ground to change the oil?????????

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Check the oil level. Is it too high?

If the level is OK, and the oil doesn't smell like gas, then I wouldn't worry about it yet. Also see if it happens again. Maybe you just got some oil drained into an odd location, from tipping it up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My machine drains it's oil through a spout on the right side, above the right wheel. It's a strange location for a drain; you have to remove the right wheel to drain it. When I had it on it's bucket to grease the internals, I thought it might be easier just to tip it right. I bought this machine last April, from the Dealership who had used it slightly.....so I really haven't had much experience with it yet. We got about 2 feet of wet snow last Spring, and my machine decided to surrender. I bought this the next morning.

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
I would guess you're ok and it's just from being in the service position. You might want to move it outside and let it run at a low speed for a while to fully warm up and burn off anything that might have seeped past the piston rings and is sitting in the muffler.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
My machine drains it's oil through a spout on the right side, above the right wheel. It's a strange location for a drain; you have to remove the right wheel to drain it. When I had it on it's bucket to grease the internals, I thought it might be easier just to tip it right. I bought this machine last April, from the Dealership who had used it slightly.....so I really haven't had much experience with it yet. We got about 2 feet of wet snow last Spring, and my machine decided to surrender. I bought this the next morning.
TAke a look at the rear of the block and see if there is another drain plug there. (probably a square headed plug). I found removing the wheel from my machine was a pain so I bought an extension pipe and use the rear drain now instead . Pipe extends past the back of the machine so the old oil goes right into the pan and none on the frame of the machine or the floor.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
TAke a look at the rear of the block and see if there is another drain plug there. (probably a square headed plug). I found removing the wheel from my machine was a pain so I bought an extension pipe and use the rear drain now instead . Pipe extends past the back of the machine so the old oil goes right into the pan and none on the frame of the machine or the floor.[/QUOTE

The wheels should be removed and the shaft greased yearly anyway
You do not have to remove the wheel just slide out 3 or 4 inches with the machine elavated so you can tilt it and drain all the oil into the folgers container thats what i did but i had already greased the shaft prior
The right side of the machine i could not get the wheel off as it was never removed like the left to change the oil
If ant broke dont fix it ill deal with it when and if i have to

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much! I will definitely check this out....I am sure that I will learn the 'in's and out's" of this wonderful machine.
It would be great to be able to drain it from the back.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the great advice. I did run it for a bit, at low and full to see if it would do it again, but it did not.

But, as I do enjoy fooling around with it by starting it ( kinda teasing Old man Winter to c'mon!) , I will definitely run it a bit more.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thanks for the great advice. I did run it for a bit, at low and full to see if it would do it again, but it did not.

But, as I do enjoy fooling around with it by starting it ( kinda teasing Old man Winter to c'mon!) , I will definitely run it a bit more.
I am not superstitious, but I never tease Old Man W___er out loud. I know if he hears about it, he will make me pay for it and regret having teased him. He's a crotchety old bugger.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
TAke a look at the rear of the block and see if there is another drain plug there. (probably a square headed plug). I found removing the wheel from my machine was a pain so I bought an extension pipe and use the rear drain now instead . Pipe extends past the back of the machine so the old oil goes right into the pan and none on the frame of the machine or the floor.[/QUOTE

The wheels should be removed and the shaft greased yearly anyway
You do not have to remove the wheel just slide out 3 or 4 inches with the machine elavated so you can tilt it and drain all the oil into the folgers container thats what i did but i had already greased the shaft prior
The right side of the machine i could not get the wheel off as it was never removed like the left to change the oil
If ant broke dont fix it ill deal with it when and if i have to
Shaft greasing is a separate operation for me. Machine is propped up on a cinder block with a wood pad, and wheels come off easy for lubrication. Oil changing is not practical with the machine propped up as gravity sends the oil the wrong way. The rear drain is perfect for me as you can tilt the machine back with a bit of 4 x 4 or a brick under the scraper bar at the end and get most of the old stuff out, and no mess.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I am not superstitious, but I never tease Old Man W___er out loud. I know if he hears about it, he will make me pay for it and regret having teased him. He's a crotchety old bugger.
That goes for a few members here too :grin:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Shaft greasing is a separate operation for me. Machine is propped up on a cinder block with a wood pad, and wheels come off easy for lubrication. Oil changing is not practical with the machine propped up as gravity sends the oil the wrong way. The rear drain is perfect for me as you can tilt the machine back with a bit of 4 x 4 or a brick under the scraper bar at the end and get most of the old stuff out, and no mess.

That was not directed at you
As for draining the oil from the side with the maching up in the air it took me less then 10 min and i didnt remove the wheel
99% sure he doesnt have the rear drain which is why i give the tip about moving the wheel out 4 inches it drains fine like that

Most dont grease the shafts at all so moving the wheels to do the oil is a 1 shot deal kill 2 birds with 1 stone
The wheels dont come right off if they not greased they get stuck from lack of care

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I am sure I will get used to the machines quirks as I have more experience with it. My old machine had it's quirks too, and once I was used to it, it was all good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts