Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I remember in NJ that year, 3 snows of 24" or so, on my own as a single man, first job, first house, than that, digging out my driveway. To prep for the following year I bought a pickup truck, put a plow on it, got a townhouse complex with no snow blower! Had several guys out shoveling! Stupid of me! Stupid stupid stupid! Bought a used Gravely Convertible 12hp. Wow, what a machine. I still have it today. Never breaks. Heavy!!! 450 lbs.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Local Boston News Station (WBZ Channel 4) is doing a 40th anniversary Blizzard of 78 "look-back" this Sunday (1/28) @ 8:30 AM. Still remember my father trying to open the front storm door, but the snow was already 30" high, so he ended up pulling the top glass panes off the door so we could crawl out the door into the snow. Vivid memories of that blizzard.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Remember it well. I worked as a mechanic in a gas station. Installed a lot of tire chains that day.
We had so much snow and no place to put it. Had to get front end loader to move it all around.

Dads '67 5 hp Ariens was humping snow that storm.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We had two blizzards in quick succession in 1978. As I recall, the Blizzard of 1978 in Massachusetts refers to the second that hit us on February 6 into the evening of February 7. Thousands of cars were abandoned on Route 128 or 95 as it is now known. The National Guard opened the highway with front end loaders The "Duke" (Gov. Michael Dukakis) declared a state of emergency for the remainder of the week - it started on a Monday. Naturally, my Tecumseh decided to throw a rod at this time.

·
Registered
842 Posts
was driving a semi for the long gone CARRETTA trucking that winter, man what a mess all across this country. than i well remember winter 95-96 here as well, that feb 96 one took me 18 hours to drive from morristown to sussex 40 miles by road TG that 95 f 150 i was driving had both gas tanks full as it used up both

·
Registered
397 Posts
On that Friday, I was in a Seminar at the Copley Plaza when the subway was shut down and NorthEastern University put us up overnight.

Saturday, I rode the subway out to Wellington Station where my car was parked . . . . but the Parking Lot was like a wintry wasteland and all of the cars were buried in about 5 feet of snow. It took another 5 or 6 hours just to locate my car and get it free up so that I could drive home.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Ive never heard of the blizzard of '78. Around here (western NY) there was the infamous Blizzard of '77 that hit Buffalo, which still lives large in legend, but it looks like the '78 blizzard wasnt a big deal here..

Here is a map I just found of the blizzard of '78:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/431px_width/public/Snowfall-Map-of-the-Great-Blizzard-of-January-23-28-1978.jpg?itok=i3UINGaF

Looks like only Michigan was seriously impacted..so im confused, because people seem to be talking about New England and the east coast in this thread..was there more than one blizzard of '78?

Scot

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ive never heard of the blizzard of '78. Around here (western NY) there was the infamous Blizzard of '77 that hit Buffalo, which still lives large in legend, but it looks like the '78 blizzard wasnt a big deal here..

Here is a map I just found of the blizzard of '78:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/431px_width/public/Snowfall-Map-of-the-Great-Blizzard-of-January-23-28-1978.jpg?itok=i3UINGaF

Looks like only Michigan was seriously impacted..so im confused, because people seem to be talking about New England and the east coast in this thread..was there more than one blizzard of '78?

Scot
I know for sure in early 1978 here in NJ we got hit with 2 back to back storms. That map shows little snow for us here. Uhmmmm...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was a paper boy during the Blizzard of 78. I remember crawling through mounds of snow to get the papers delivered. I made so much money in tips that week haha.. It seems like many lifetimes ago as I'm 54 now!

I also remember it taking days for us to shovel out our driveway because the Haans Eclipse my brother had for whatever countless reason broke again. You would have to do 3 shovel fulls for a 2 foot square section and then move on to the next section...

·
Registered
725 Posts
I was fixing Gilsons part time at the hardware store while in college. I don't remember it as much for the snow as for the coastal damage. The pier in Old Orchard Beach, ME got creamed. A buddy and I retrieved a washed up oak piling and it's incorporated in a family cottage to this day. IN terms of brutal snow paralysis I think Massachusetts gas it worse with Route 128 in the headlines.

Locally we've been commemorating the 20th anniversary of our great ice storm.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There were two with the same name. The northeast may have received the earlier one as it weakened although it was still very much a blizzard.

The Northeastern United States blizzard of 1978 was a catastrophic, historic nor'easter that struck New England, New Jersey, and the New York metropolitan area. The "Blizzard of '78" formed on Sunday, February 5, 1978, and broke up on February 7. The storm was primarily known as "Storm Larry" in Connecticut, ...

The Great Blizzard of 1978, also known as the White Hurricane, was a historic winter storm that struck the Ohio Valley and Great Lakes regions from Wednesday, January 25 through Friday, January 27, 1978.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts