Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advantages of blowing before the snow stop falling?
I used to do ( two runs) if we know we are getting more that 20 inches or more.
but since its going to peter out around 14-18" I am going to hold out.
Go for one pass and do the cars and maybe the deck a bit earlier with the SS etc.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've done that: one initial clearing before it's over and then a more detailed finishing job later. Especially if the timing happens to be right like changing wind conditions or if it will be going to freezing rain.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I think it is a BIG issue. Before I repowered I made a pretty BIG deal about it. I would tackle amount of about 6"- maybe 9" because of the laboring of the Tecumseh 7HP. Now with the Briggs I tend to wait longer and even if there is BIG amounts involved.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If I had as many blowers as you have...

Go for one pass and do the cars and maybe the deck a bit earlier with the SS etc.
...I'd be out there as often as possible! I've only got 2 and I find myself out for hours messing with them, doing the neighbors, making a path for the dog, anything to blow some snow!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I feel it's generally prudent to make several passes before the storm is over assuming you're anticipating a large snow fall. If I'm only going to get 2 - 3", I wait 'til it's over.

We're forecast to get 18" or more today. I've already been out once for a quickie clean up with the single stage machine and did about 20 minutes worth. I'll likely got out again in a couple hours. Snow is supposed to be wrapped up after dark.

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
Based on the list of equipment in your signature, you can definitely wait and do it all at once if you want to! ;)
There is no limitation on the machines themselves that would require two runs..
So one run when its over, or two, or more, is only up to how often you personally feel like going out..
the machines are fine either way.

Scot

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Well B/T, I guess there is no advantage to making multiple runs, other than exercising all those machines!!!! Here's a great opportunity for them all to have some fun!!! GLuck, J

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I would clear multiple times during a big storm when I had a smaller, somewhat-underpowered machine. Now I usually just wait for it to be over and clear at the end, which is what I'm doing today. I will consider clearing twice during a storm if it's getting to be over the top of the machine's intake. But that's something like 20" (I forget exactly) on my current blower.

I've never compared exactly. But my guess is that I can clear 12" in less time than it takes to clear 6" each, in two different sessions. And even if the total time is the same, then I still only have to get dressed up once :)

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
better get out before you friend with the plow stops by :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm new to the blower game.
But I will do more than one cleaning when I get big amounts of snow.
I figure why work the blower hard.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Getting to know Single stages

So.... Today the two stage worked fine no matter how much you tax them!
However the single stage is only my tenth time using it and first time in over a Foot of Snow! Now I think that was a bit much for the little guy. I will definitely limit the SS to about 4-8 inches just to make things easier! Like Redoctober mentioned!
Thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I bought a 2 stage so that I only have to go out once.....no matter how much snow. Today we had 15" with blizzard conditions and wind chill in the single digits most of the day, so I had no desire to go out more than once. However, while out I did my neighbor's sidewalk which was a b!&*ch. The plow left what amounted to EOD like snow about 2.5' deep and the entire width of the sidewalk.....and about 200' long! Love my Ariensthough, it never hesitated....as long as I took it slow. The layer of slush under the snow pack didn't help. It was probably the toughest conditions I experienced in a long time.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I'm new to the blower game.
But I will do more than one cleaning when I get big amounts of snow.
I figure why work the blower hard.
'Cause it lets the machine prove that it's capable and robust, like a stress test :biggrin:

Clearing went fine. Dry fluffy snow here, I'd say we got maybe 8" or so, less than I was expecting.

Turns out I broke a shear bolt on literally the last little pass of the storm a few days ago (I heard a weird noise when engaging the augers, but was done clearing). Figured it out tonight after I noticed it was kind of "plowing" snow, overflowing from one side of the bucket. Changed the bolt and kept clearing.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The urge to go out and blow snow (any amount) is inversely proportional to your age and how your back if feeling today....

Reactions: pdesjr and Biketrax

·
Registered
177 Posts
It doesn't make any sense to me to go out and blow snow when I look at the radar and see more coming. Even when I first bought my blower as much as I liked using it I still waited.

I share a drive way with my neighbor and him and his wife are out there doing their half right away, they may do it 2 or 3 times, I just don't get it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Personal choice like so many things in life.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
No way I would have gone out before this storm was finished. I have not heard the wind mentioned as a factor. The 40mph winds we had would have defeated the point of doing it twice. 11" of snowfall means 20" drifts in my driveway. The wind covered my shoveled path from my back door to my garage over & over.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts