Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next door neighbor comes out to blow like 2-3 times........I'm the type that just waits it out till it's done and I do it once.

Each time he's out, he comes over to do our side, which ultimately leads to me going out 2-3+ times instead or just leaving it alone..

Anyone in the same predicament :nerd:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If he is clearing your side, ... win for you ..lol

I wait, as I am only going out there and doing it once, but then again, my blowers can handle any amount. I know people that have the smaller blowers, and they have to go out more than once, as there machine can not handle the big stuff....

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
My contract clients I clean them early morning if required and again as needed thru the day as needed til evening. Providing the weather will possibly allow it. There is a limit when you have to shut down and wait it out. When I have trouble getting around or wind is too extreme its time to back off and wait it out. Those people arent able to be out either when it gets to a point. I do have a Dr who is on call at any time. I do the best I can there. There have been a couple times that the town had to go open him up to get him to the ER. Most of the time its all good.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uggh...When it's blowing up a sandstorm, why would you not want to wait till it's settled down....and just be done with it once.

He's sorta forcing me to go out multiple times as I don't want to -owe him- and how do you politely tell him to just leave my side alone. Granted if I'm out and I'm done with mine and I see some snow on the sidewalk on the left or right, I will attend to that and then some. But my preferred means is just blow once and let it be.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
When I had a smaller, lower-powered machine, I pretty much had to go out multiple times, or it would struggle the entire time if I let it get too deep.

Now I prefer to wait until it's done. Especially if it's windy & drifting. But there have been times (like in 18" storms) that I kinda realized my mistake, and I might have had an easier time if I did it in 2 sessions. But it still went OK clearing it once, at the end.

Nobody else does my driveway, so I don't have to worry about seeing a neighbor try to clear my stuff if I'm still waiting it out.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Each time he's out, he comes over to do our side, which ultimately leads to me going out 2-3+ times instead or just leaving it alone..
In our neck of the woods, when it snows, it usually snows big...Therefore, I like staying ahead of the snow, especially if we need the driveway, and if the plow has gone by creating a berm EOD. In doing so, I can usually clear the drive is about 30 minutes.

If I understand your point correctly wrt your neighbor blowing snow 2-3 times per event, I read this to mean that he is blowing snow on your driveway. Yes-No? If yes, well, I would kindly ask him to be a bit more considerate by not blowing snow onto your driveway...just a matter of personal courtesy.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I used to Go Out Twice until I built a Machine that Can Handle the Larger Amounts. 1976 10-32 Ariens w/Tall Chute and Impeller Seal Gets it Done in one Shot.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
depends on snowfall. anything less than 18 inches. one shot. we have had periods of 24-36 inches in a 24 hour period so if i know that is happening will go out 3 times.

also will go out again for the eod berm before it freezes up.

is your neighbor retired? if so that's why.

or he has OCD.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I go out once. I'm hoping with the new machine it will be easier to just do it once. Much bigger than the old one.

·
Registered
871 Posts
lucky you, my younger neighbor bought a new sb, when we had a big storm a couple of years ago i was shovelling and he was using his new husky toy, i struck up a talk w/him on his sb. once he was done he put it away and he never did offer to help be do my driveway, s.o.b.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I wait until it's over unless I need passage. I have a neighbor that likes doing our adjacent driveway ends, I thank him when I see him and reciprocate when I can.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
It depends on the storm, but I try to do it just once, right now there is a bunch out there but it’s still coming down mixed with rain so no way am I going out into that lol I’ll wait until it stops in a few hours, ST1027 chews through it pretty good

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I got into a lot of problems helping out some neighbors. Hidden chains,wood, metal under the snow. Then they play dumb like nothing happened.
That's a good point. I've helped clear for neighbors. Usually when they're out, and I can ask if it's OK to help. But in at least 1 storm last winter, the snow was so brutally heavy that I cleared EOD for a few people who had been shoveling, but were back inside.

It worked out OK, but it's a good reminder that I could have sucked something in and damaged equipment, or damaged something on their property. It can be a tricky situation, even if you're trying to be helpful.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Talk to your neighbor. Let him know what you are thinking after finding out what he's thinking.

·
Registered
153 Posts
is your neighbor retired? if so that's why.

or he has OCD.
I was thinking the same thing!:wink2:

I have a couple of machines that can handle it all at once, but I sometimes go out multiple times just because I like to play in the snow.

I also do my neighbor's drive - he is retired and also has physical issues - I am happy to help him in any way that I can.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts