Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My JD 1128DDE blows much better to the right than to the left. Is it true that all blowers perform better blowing to one side?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think that's pretty normal, all three blowers I've owned have done much the same thing. It's got to be because the impeller always spins in one direction and if the chute is facing the opposite way it impedes things.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I think so, the snow being expelled is following the left side of the impeller housing. (From the operators view) The transition into the chute is straight and fluent. When the chute is positioned to the left the snow discharge has to change direction.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I disagree, i fooled around with this. I tried a machine with the chute off before installing an impeller kit. It gave a noticeable wash of snow being carried in the direction of the impeller. The impeller does not uniformly push the snow it flings it. That being said, the machine I tried this with was a super old Ariens with a very large round outlet and very short neck. Still the "blob" of snow being expelled is not uniform, it's thicker next to the housing since centrifugal force is forcing it outward. That effects the dynamics of the snow running into the chute was well.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
"SR" blew his lid one time a couple of years back. and the snow was going straight up in the air. I forgot to tighten some bolts on him. yeah it will be thick coming right out from the collar area only to aspirate further on up in it travels.

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
You take the chute off it goes straight up in the air. so with the chute on left, right or straight ahead it will all be the same.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Incorrect, that's not how it works..
if you take the chute off, it doesn't go straight up, it will go up and to the right..because the impeller spins to the right.

yes, its true that nearly all 2-stage snowblower will throw noticably better to the right than they will to the left,
because when throwing to the right, the chute forms a natural part of the arc made by the impeller..the chute offers virtually no resistance to the snow.

but when throwing to the left, the chute forces the snow to change directions, causing much more friction, causing less distance thrown:

Scot

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Funny I never noticed any difference with mine. they throw good in all directions. the only problem I have is when I am blowing it north into the oncoming wind.:icon-doh::icon-doh::icon-doh::icon-doh::icon-doh:

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
I have Noticed that they blow better (longer distance) to the right and it has to do with the rotational direction of the impeller as Scot explained.
The only exception is my Yamaha Ricky which does the opposite (throws better to the left), but this is due to the fact that the impeller rotates clockwise (most snowblower impellers turn counter clockwise).

This is not my Ricky, just an example to show that the chute is on the opposite side of most two stage snowblowers.......

·
Registered
149 Posts
In the case of the snowmaster, the chute is perfectly situated in the middle, so it doesn't matter what direction is chute is facing...the snow just flies out like a bullet.:icon-hgtg::icon-hgtg:

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
In the case of the snowmaster, the chute is perfectly situated in the middle, so it doesn't matter what direction is chute is facing...the snow just flies out like a bullet.:icon-hgtg::icon-hgtg:
With this one I suspect it'll throw its best straight ahead as it is how the auger spins.

·
Registered
149 Posts
With this one I suspect it'll throw its best straight ahead as it is how the auger spins.
To be honest, I haven't paid much attention to it...I'll keep an eye on it next time it snows.

The only thing I know is that it throws it higher, and farther then my neighbors 24" 8hp MTD. It's a two stage blower, same size machine as my 824qxe, but from what I've experienced this year, mine throws snow twice as high, and twice as far.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all!. I loose about 25% of distance throwing to the left. Always been that way.
I think sscotsman hit it right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts