Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Wasn't Amico a gasoline brand years ago?

Regardless of who makes it, and how it came to be badged an Amico, a quick look at it , it appears to be quite the machine for 699.00.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Probably Chinese. Guaranteed to perform superbly until removed from the box. :devil:

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Wasn't Amico a gasoline brand years ago?

Regardless of who makes it, and how it came to be badged an Amico, a quick look at it , it appears to be quite the machine for 699.00.

Amoco

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I remember an old radio commercial of theirs that I found really funny.

It was a guy driving in a "talking car" (it was the 1980s), he's talking to himself when a mechanical voice comes on and says "fuel is low". He says "okay I'll just pull in here and get some gas" and in response the voice says "no, Amoco".

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Engine looks a lot like the new powermore engines, wouldn’t touch one either.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I believe they are made by DR Power Equipment, out of Vermont, which is a Subsidiary of Generac Power Systems, Inc.

I will call them later when they open.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Many of these companys making Chinese goods will create a US mailing address just so they can list it as a contact address, and just to generate some fake respectability, so people might be fooled into thinking it might actually be a US company and perhaps US made.

There might be a few office workers for the company at their US mailing address, but the equipment is 100% Chinese made.

Scot

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
@sscotsman,

Certainly a great many materials and products in todays market come from China. Whether it be entire units, or in parts, and assembled here, or there.

Since that Amico unit looked somewhat similar to the DR Power brand, I opted to call them and inquire if they sell those units branded under the Amico name.

It seems there snowblower units are produced in China, which is certainly no surprise, and many companies do use China, but they are not a seller of the Amico brand. In further discussion with them, it certainly appears that there is a strong possibility that the similarity is due to the fact that they are indeed coming from the same source, just rebadged and sold as Amico.

Although there are cheap goods produced here as well as anywhere in the world, there are also quality parts produced all around the world. I have had a 99.00 Predator engine on my 10M6 now for years, and it actually operates as good, even better than the B&S on my 10M4.

I have also used the Lemon Law on a Chrysler LHS, as well as a Toyota Avalon. Point being, poor manufacturing can occur from any source.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Oneacer, Scott’s list isn’t so much that it’s made in China as we all know a LOT is made there, BUT the brands that are Chinese companies not made for the us market generally (not all but most) any how the sell the machine and the unknown brand name sometimes even disappears and offer NO customer support or even a place to send back if defective, Harbor freight handles predator and returns but delivered right from China usually means once it breaks you throw it away. That is the purpose of that made 100% list, not to knock chinesevmade but to watch out for the ones with no support after the sale.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are local Aubuchon hardware stores are now selling Hondas....But I noticed the other day I saw a DR POWER out front with a Manual in a bag hanging from the handlebars and it said STIHL on it!!!!! Actually on all three DR power blowers out front...Anyone hear of this???? Stihl shocked me!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
i wouldn't touch it unless it was free or super cheap($50-100). i have fixed a couple Chinese machines and parts are available but can be very tricky to track down without parts numbers because there is usually no part or service manuals available with them. it almost seems like they just slap a bunch of already available parts together and make it work.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Many of these companys making Chinese goods will create a US mailing address just so they can list it as a contact address, and just to generate some fake respectability, so people might be fooled into thinking it might actually be a US company and perhaps US made.

There might be a few office workers for the company at their US mailing address, but the equipment is 100% Chinese made.

Scot
That is what LCT did with their engines. Stay as far away as possible from them and anything "Generac".
Generac does not make their own engines, they buy them from a "Fly-By Night" company from China, and if you ever need parts for them, you are totally out of luck because they don't even know who made the engines or how to contact them for parts.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have a couple of Generac generators sitting in my shop that need cylinder heads replaced with low hours on them due to poor design rocker arm shaft retainers.
The shafts came loose and broke the casting on the head that holds the rocker arm shaft.
I contacted Generac and they told me that they don't know where to get replacement parts because they don't know who actually made the engines, and they cant get engine parts for them.
Generac told me they can sell me a new engine assembly for $600.
I told them the whole generator cost $700 brand new, so I will tell my customer what Generac told me to do, and my customers said they will replace the generators, but they will NOT be a Generac unit, and I don't blame the customer.
"Generac" should change their name to "Gener-SCRAP", because that is what they are, SCRAP.
These generators only have between 10 to 20 hours on them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts