Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my recent expenditure on my relatively new Simplicity, I decided to drag the BOB-CAT out of the snowbank and treat it to a little restoration.
The reason I parked it in the first place was because it only has a 2-speed transmission and seemed painfully slow to back up and transport.
My thoughts are that I should rebuild or refurbish the engine/drivetrain. Treat it to some new tires and possibly build a new longer chute and add teeth to the auger. I have to resize pics before I can post them. Any thoughts on other possible mods would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are no exposed belts when all the guards are in place. The auger and impeller however do keep running unless you manually disengage the lever. I have not gotten as far as looking for parts yet, so I don't know.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Everything seems to be in pretty good shape inside. one of the chains is quite loose and will skip cogs. i will have to see if i can get a 1/2 link for it.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have worked my way down to the offending chain. It looks to me like someone may have replaced it without taking the machine apart. there is no way someone would install a chain this loose if they had proper access.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
a feature I thought was interesting on them is you can adjust tension for the auger/secondary to slip.. no shear bolts to shear and no gear box. On that loose chain- I don't know.. but make sure either shaft isn't bolted in slots to get adjustment. if so, you could see maybe from outside of frame- just a thought.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The three main shafts are not adjustable. The only one that can be adjusted is the idler/tensioner shaft on the forward drive chain, which is on the right in this pic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Today, I fixed the Fwd-Rev shifter which would not stay in gear. The bolt that holds the ball&spring in place had fallen out and mangled the low-range chain and dented the bottom of the case at some point previous to my ownership. The bracket that mounts the ball & detent setup was only fixed with two bolts, and could swivel away enough to lose the ball. Also the 1/8" thick flat bracket was bent, which could also drop the ball.
I added tabs and two more bolts and a gusset to keep the bracket from twisting or bending. I added another cotterpin farther down the shaft to lessen the wear on the original cotterpin. I am also going to drill and pin the bolt, once it's adjusted, that holds the ball in place so it cannot come out again.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Holy cow of re-engineering!

Good work.

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
At lest it has a master link and you can pull the chain and take a link or two out.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Nice looking welds GMH. What are you using for equipment? MH

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I've been mucking with these impeller bearings the last couple nights, trying to coerce them off. They don't come off, and although they spin real nice, they sound dry to me. I have bought newer ones, since the originals are discontinued. Luckily, the bolt pattern is identical and all I have to do is enlarge the center hole. Any one have a trick for splitting these bearings off without harming the shaft?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Light touch with a dremel cut-off wheel, and a deft touch with cold chisel to finish it...

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
Can you get a puller on it ?? You can get a puller as a loaner tool from most auto pparts stores.
Two jaw or three, heat it up some, saturate it with PB Blaster and give the puller a try.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
i would drill throuh the inner and out races of the bearing, dont listen to the guy who said to use a puller unless you want to damage the retainer and get a replacement, it will bend. you could try soaking it overnight in kroil or pb blaster overnight. when it finally does come off, get a brush on type antiseize and if you ever have to take it apart again the parts will just slide right off. i use this or grease when i reinstall auger rakes and they will always slide right off

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
43128 , In the picture the OP put up it has a bearing with new bearing retainer halves and above that is the bearing retainer with the set screw. What is it he'd damage that he needs ?? The bearing retainer is already off and the bearing retainer halves are new ??

1 - 20 of 65 Posts