77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own two Bob-caT snowthrowers.
A 5 hp and a 1971 model 1824 7hp

...always tempted to buy more.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Like my signature says, proud owner of three Bob-Cat blowers.

·
Registered
390 Posts
*wave* I posted the first thread here. Loved my Crary Bearcat but to be honest my new machine puts it to shame -- except for the shear pins, which I'm still getting used to! I was accustomed to ramming the Bearcat into whatever stopped it, but when I do that now I end up kneeling in the snow replacing a shear pin. I'm sure I'll adjust, but I sure do miss that auger clutch.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm here. Dragged beast into shop and see my reverse issue is probably just the threaded adjustment on linkage. Big snow coming so I'll see to t in the morning. GJ

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is repowering a Bobcat with a Tecumseh pretty straightforward? There's one near me with a blown B&S 5hp engine.
Depends, if the motor has a 6:1 gear reduction like most of the early Bob Cat machines then you need to find another engine with the gear reduction. The later models that had the 3 or 5 speed peerless transmissions can use a standard engine and can be repowered by pretty much any modern engine. My machine has the 3 speed and the Tecumseh on there was a drop in to repower.

Reactions: thestonecarver

·
Registered
183 Posts
DB130, are you still looking for a Bobcat motor? This guy below down in Colchester/Oakdale Connecticut has a 5HP Briggs on an old Jacobsen that perhaps could fit. It's the same type of Briggs engine that they put on the old Bobcats. He's asking $50....

Link: snow blower

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome!!!

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome Autumn and Thank You!

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've gor two Bob-caTs, a 5 and a 7 hp with electric start. I inherited the smaller one from my uncle, who bought it new. I've owned that one for nearly 22 years. The bigger one I picked up about a year ago

I'll never forget the time I needed to replace the impeller bearings on the 5/20 in about 2000 ... the Internet was still a little spotty on content, and I ended up calling Ransomes in Johnson Creek, Wis, in search of a parts distributor. They gave me a phone number in Massachusetts, IIRC. I called it and they directed me to a mower shop ... half a block from my uncle's old home.

When I got there and told the counterman what I wanted, he went into the back room, came back with a plastic bag and literally blew the dust off of it. He had three bearings left -- I bought all three.

Since that time I've discovered Triangle Bearing in Oshkosh has all the needed spherical bearings on the shelf.

Edit: Gee, I looked at one of my two prior posts, and it looks like I told this exact same story on this forum nearly two years ago. Well, at least I'm consistent.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had a early 70's 5/20 BobCat for I guess more than 20 something years I remember selling my Eska s/s and adding a few $'s to buy it. I've never really had any problems with it, just bought belts and serviced as recommended by Wisconsin Marine. This year I just finished making up a new auger drive shaft with the 8 tooth sprocket and when I got into the machine to get it ready for the season I saw that the OEM sprocket, shaft and chain were still good so I just added a small 3/8" hole in the top of the chain cover to make it easier for chain lubing and covered it with a pop in plastic plug. The one thing that I never really cared for was the OEM Briggs flat head engine. Specifically the no float carb. I could never get a smooth, reliable idle with it. So I got ambitious a couple of years ago and re-fitted the flat head with a new Briggs OHV engine, and a handle bar throttle control. The torque of the new motor, and the smoothness through the rpm range made the swap more than worth the effort. If there ever comes a time when I can't keep the BobCat running I have no clue what will replace it. With the heavy wet snow we get on Long Island all I see when the neighbors are cleaning up after a storm is machines that are clogged up and operators trying to clear them with sticks and shovel handles, while I buzz through plow berms and have to lower the shoot to keep the BobCat from throwing that wet snow across the road and onto a walk way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is my 1981 Super Rare Bear Cat the 1028 model Biggest Bear cat made. I yet to know anyone who owns one.The 1028 But Me ! she runs and purrs like a Kitten. I just upgraded to LED Lights (love them) Enjoy the video .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts