Snowblower Forum banner

Bolens 32" vintage snowblower

7K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  foggysail 
#1 ·
I acquired a vintage Bolens 32" with a Tecumseh engine at the right price. Not sure of the blower model or engine model as all stickers are missing.

I've rebuilt the funkey differential by boring the aluminium housings and adding custom steel bushings and zerk fittings.

The motor has point ignition and runs great but does not have any voltage output from the alternator circuit to operate the hand warmers and head light. The warmers and light work when I hot wire a 12vdc test battery. Electric start was added by the previous owner. After reading some other posts about the magnet quantity, I will need to pop off the flywheel and count the number of magnets, there are at least 5 and maybe 6.

Appreciate assistance to test the alternator circuit that has 2 yellow and one red wires from the stator to a flat connector. Any other tips are appreciated.
Newie,
Jim

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Alternator-No Output Voltage

After reading the Electrical Section I'm wondering if a missing rectifier plugs into the flat connector with wire colors noted below.

The motor has point ignition and runs great but does not have any voltage output from the alternator circuit to operate the hand warmers and head light. The warmers and light work when I hot wire a 12vdc test battery. 110volt electric start was added by the previous owner. After reading some other posts about the magnet quantity, I will need to pop off the flywheel and count the number of magnets, there are at least 5 and maybe 6.

Appreciate assistance to test the alternator circuit that has 2 yellow and one red wires from the stator to a flat connector. Any other tips are appreciated.

#4 · (Edited)
Rebuilt 32" Bolens differential housing bored oversize, 3 locked in place bushings and added zerk fittings to keep the moisture out.
Just now need to solve the alternator electrical problem!

Attachments

#7 ·
Yes, No voltage at the engine black and red 2 wire connector.
The diagram also shows a second engine 3 wire (yellow, yellow and red) connector. After reviewing the Tecumseh technical manual, electrical section, linked on this site I discovered that this old unit requires a rectifier/voltage regulator that converts the AC volts from the 2 yellows to DC volts and feeds the same red wire which runs to red 2 wire connector. I have 14 AC volts when probing the 2 yellows and now need to locate a 3 (yellow/alternator, yellow/yellow, red/positive) rectifier and voltage regulator. Am I on the right track? If so, where can I purchase the missing component?

#10 ·
I'm not sure if that part is separately available, it seems to be integrated to the charging coil itself. Take a look at this completed auction for a NOS Tecumseh 611097:

Tecumseh 611097 Alternator Charging Coil Stator HM80 HM100 | eBay
My stator has 2 alternator coils and 1 mag coil. The 611097 stator is alternator only according to the online electrical diagrams. The problem is all identification on this mower is missing. Thanks

#11 · (Edited)
These photos are exactly like mine..2 alternator coils, 1 mag coil and 6 flywheel magnets.

Do you have a photo of the 2 engine pig tail wire connectors coming out of the stator? Mine has 2 connectors; one with black and red wires and the other connector has yellow, yellow, red wires.

I believe the flat 3 wire connector is for a rectifier/voltage regulator. Where can I purchase this component, new or used?

A huge help would be if you have the model number for the engine in the photos as all ID is missing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.