Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. So I have a bolens 524 and a bolens Artic 75. They both have the same friction disk setup, and I was going to replace it, but can't figure out how to get to it. I watched videos, I searched the forum and can't find anything that looks like mine. Most have a way to pull the friction disk shaft out the side of the unit, but mine don't have that ability. The axle is already removed in one picture in order to replace the plastic bushings with bearings. Any suggestions to get this friction disk out?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
MTD took over Bolens some time ago if I'm not mistaken. Maybe if you can provide the Mdl and Ser numbers that might help.
I'm working with a very small screen but it appears the hex shaft, carrying the drive disc unbolts from both sides?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the only way to get to those bolts is to take the entire carriage assembly out. I'm in the process of changing it and will post some pictures when I get it done. Needless to say, it's not very fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some pictures. The Bolens 524 and the Artic 75 were almost identical with having to remove the entire carriage to change the friction disk. The worst part were those darn springs are almost impossible to stretch out in tight quarters and get latched back on. There are two rods that have to come out from the side, then of course unhook the clutch and shifting mechanism, and remove the chain... and those darn springs...

Once the carriage frame is out, you have to remove the four bolts on each side to remove the bearings and slide out the hex shaft. The shaft won't slide out any other way. Definitely wasn't very fun.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts