Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older bolens 824 with worn nylon wheel bushings. Was hoping I could separathe axle from gear to make it an easy job. There is a pin through gear to axle but will not budge. I am afraid gear may be welded to axle. Can anyone confirm. If I could get the friction drive plate (not the rubber wheel). Off, I think I could get the axle out. Could not find any you tube video. Any idea? Maybe unbolt the side plates.? Thanks for at help.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I am sure that roll pin is rust welded in place. I have never seen a gear welded to the shaft in a snowblower application, unless of coarse a PO has modified it.

There are actually special punches for removing roll pins, which are sized for the pin. (Lots of penetrating oil (weasel piss). Dismantling to get at those bushings should not be that hard, as that is a replaceable wear item. Many times, they are installed from the tire side.

I would go online and view/download the manual for that specific machine if it was mine.

Changing the axle bushings should not require removing the drive plate.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Pins can be heated and driven out with a punch, if not they can be drilled out. Generally the pin is of softer metal than the axle. However gears are many times cast and fragile.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I am sure that roll pin is rust welded in place. I have never seen a gear welded to the shaft in a snowblower application, unless of coarse a PO has modified it.

There are actually special punches for removing roll pins, which are sized for the pin. (Lots of penetrating oil (weasel piss). Dismantling to get at those bushings should not be that hard, as that is a replaceable wear item. Many times, they are installed from the tire side.

I would go online and view/download the manual for that specific machine if it was mine.

Changing the axle bushings should not require removing the drive plate.
That roll pin weakens the shaft, I know, I broke one in my long gone Bolens 12/32? That was one sucky arrangement whose purpose was to be able to lock the wheels. The differential though was amazing! I think it was Deere that introduced it. The problems with it could easily have been modified. The gear case badly needed a zerk fitting for lubrication and the axles badly needed water tight bearings.

My old Bolens worked flawlessly for about 10 seasons and then everything started failing including the OP's mentioned plastic bushings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok drilled out the pin but gear still stuck on axle tried heat and penetrating oil, no luck yet. If I can get the drive plate off (not friction wheel). I might have room to slide axle out to replace wheel bushings. Anyone know if drive plate on this machine screws out with left handed threads like other machines. I tried for part number for drive plate to see a picture but no luck. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think, I will start loosening as driveshaft within am inch or so of coming out. I will just be careful and take lots of pics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts