Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been thinking bowers lately as I got a fairly new Craftsman freebie last May. It was nice except the bottom half of the bucket was mostly rusted away! Great qualiity-threw it in shed for future project. Today picked an 824 Bolens with bad engine. Last year a fellow gave me 2 nice electric start Tecumsehs including an HM80 that will work. I haven't found a parts breakdown as the serial # is a bit odd. Nc (w c underlined) 0100251, model 800. I've found a pix of it but no i.d. It has the drive engagement lever under the handle and microswitches under bulges in each hand grip. The engine has Lawson decal so rather old. Serial indicates 79,89,or 99. Now there are 5 in the shed! Anyone have a clue about this beasty? It is physically nice w tires that hold air plus chains so a worthy project. Thanx, Guzzi John
000_0002.JPG
000_0002.JPG
000_0003.JPG .

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a saying when I look at machines like that. "If the engine is apart, all it is good for is parts". Usually someone has tried to repair it, given up, lost parts, waited a year, then decided to cut their losses.

As oneacer mentioned, perfect candidate for a replacement engine, and run it til the wheels come off.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Nº is an old time abbreviation for the word number and is probably not part of the serial number itself. The FMC logo on the tag was introduced somewhere around 72-73 and Bolens was sold to Troy-Bilt in the late 80s. I don't think Lauson made engines in the Snow King style so you may have a mix of parts there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with it probably being pre 1980. I looked up that rusty craftsman and it is a 2012! My buddy says the steel the makers re using now has very little carbon so rusts quick. I'll try the newer 8hp on it when the weather cools off-Norwegian blood doesn't like 80+. Also wondering if the Craftsman Zengshen engine might work to repower my Bobcat. Have to measure cranks and crankcase side bolt holes as maybe the H80 would work better on it and Bolens gets Zengshen. At least no more mowers this year..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Update- removed old engine, ordered shaft sleeve 3/4"- 1", pulled bottom plate and the drive chains looked like I'd just oiled them! Obviously someone took care of it fairly well. The steel thicknss rivals my Bocat and has little rust. This will get the late model H80 and the Bobcat will get the Powermore 208cc from the rust bucket Craftsman.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I have a saying when I look at machines like that. "If the engine is apart, all it is good for is parts". Usually someone has tried to repair it, given up, lost parts, waited a year, then decided to cut their losses.

As oneacer mentioned, perfect candidate for a replacement engine, and run it til the wheels come off.
Yes, and if it has a differential, a wheel might just come off. Those with differentials have the left side axel drilled and pinned to the one going into the spider gears of the differential. Been there done that. MY old 32'' machine ran superbly until it didn't. Looking back at 25 years of constant repairs, I should have taken it to the dump.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's why we have several. Being as this one is 70s vintage do you know where it was made and if any that were sold under other names. I'm asking because I like to cross reference machines. Like now the Chinese engines are everywhere in the old days many European bike companies used engines from Sachs, Zundapp, Puch etc. I surely couldn't scrap the Bobcat and replacing the rusted Craftman tracker's plastic axle bushings with flange bearings was a fun project that yielded a neat machine. If the auger drive is bad perhaps another can be grafted on this Bolens. I have to have projects!

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
If you get that up and running OK, I would ditch those lawn tires and chains and put on some nice XTrac snow tires.

All my machines have the XTrac, even the Yardman my father had bought back in 70" which came with the solid Chevron wheels, which by the way, those Chevron tread were great in snow as well, ... but nothing beats the XTrac by Carlisle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heat abated today so did some mowing then photos of 3 blowers. The Bolens and 8/28 MTD have .125" steel like the Bobcat. The 2012 Craftsman has .075" . Comparing the augers and gear boxes shows the older ones possibly identical while the newer one is a toy! It does have the nobby tires but axle may be smaller. The Bolens has little rust even on the bottom. The only flaw in the driv system is a sloppy axle bushing. I'm thinking the drive end got extra oil from the chains while the other was dry. I'll try to get that 208cc running b unless it runs nice I'll leave the B&S 7 on th
000_0017.JPG
000_0011.JPG
000_0013.JPG
000_0012.JPG
000_0019.JPG
000_0018.JPG e Bobcat.

heat abate today
000_0015.JPG
000_0016.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts