Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to get a decent sized snow storm on the east coast today-tomorrow. The news media already has it at Armageddon status.

Local weather channels call it 'Bombogenesis' - a rapidly strengthening storm of hurricane-like caliber.

StormTotalSnowJan2018.png

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Rainfall warning and high winds for Southwest Nova Scotia. Giving gusts up to 140 km along the coast, thats high for us. We have had snow off the water every day for the last week... 60 cm total.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Rainfall warning and high winds for Southwest Nova Scotia. Giving gusts up to 140 km along the coast, thats high for us. We have had snow off the water every day for the last week... 60 cm total.
so it's no longer calling for 25cm!?

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
giving 10 cm inland
Thurs forecast environment canada 5am
Cloudy. Rain at times heavy beginning in the morning except snow inland in the morning. Rainfall amount 30 to 40 mm except snowfall amount 10 cm inland. Wind east 20 km/h gusting to 40 increasing to 40 gusting to 70 in the morning then to 80 gusting to 100 except gusting to 140 along parts of the coast in the afternoon. High plus 5.

Thats Yarmouth county only. Digby count and up is looking for 25 cm before it changes to rain. Pretty fine line there. Might be right.

·
Registered
221 Posts
bombogenesis......who dat is ???
Bombogenesis is an ominous sounding term frequently used in the winter to describe powerful low pressure systems that intensify rapidly.
The process of bombogenesis begins as cyclogenesis, meaning the development or strengthening of an area of low pressure or trough.:surprise:

·
Registered
772 Posts
sounds fun i havent have any big snow yet.......ok N.E guys i want to see some videos of blowing some big snow.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
The news loves to make every storm sound like the end of days.

They seem to be talking about ~8" of snow around us. But high winds Thursday, with a high of 12F on Friday, and a high of 3F on Saturday. I saw something mention wind chills of -26F on Saturday.

So, for around here, that's pretty ridiculously cold. And if there are power outages due to the snow & wind, that could be a real problem, quickly. Frozen pipes, dangerously-cold houses, etc. We've got the blower, and a generator, so hopefully we'll be OK. But without backup power, you could be in real trouble if the electricity went out for more than a few hours in those sorts of temperatures.

I hope the storm doesn't cause significant problems for people!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Weather geek here. Basically, the East coast will see the equivalent of a winter hurricane. I am 35 miles north of NYC, and I have highlighted what NOAA is saying to forecasters inside their site who are located in the NY Metro area.

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service New York NY
951 AM EST Wed Jan 3 2018

Operational models have already shifted about 50 miles closer to LI with track of low pressure by late Thursday than 24 hrs ago, with consensus track of a 955 to 960 mb low pressure system tracking over or just se of the 40/70 lat/lon benchmark. The exact phasing evolution will determine any additional forecast track adjustment, with GEFS/ECMWF/SREF still showing at least 150 miles of spread in members within 24-36 hrs. This range of potential shift would have significant implication on westward expanse of frontogenetically forced heavy snow banding, and strong to damaging wind fields with this intense low. In fact 06z NAM, has taken a significant shift westward from 00z with its frontogenetic forcing, showing potential for 1 ft+ snow across the entire area. For this reason, NHC will be doing a reconnaissance flight and several dropsondes this afternoon/evening off the Fl/SE US coast to better capture this phasing and convection latent heat release in the models.

For now, based on above and consensus 00z operational/ensemble track and uncertainty, expectation for snow to develop from S/SE to N/NW tonight as polar and southern stream jet energy phase. This will place the region under deep lift of right rear of 150 kt jet streak, with subtropical moisture being fed by cold conveyor into the region. Then as phasing shortwave energy and rapidly deepening low pressure move up the coast tonight, LI and SE/SC CT are expected to fall under strong low- mid level forcing late tonight into Thu afternoon. Heavy snow banding is typically under and just to the NW of that. Also potential for enhanced updraft/convection through CSI as indicated by negative epv above the frontogenetic forcing. SPC SREF/SPC HREF corroborate this through indicating a moderate to high potential for 1 per hour snowfall rates during this time, and possibly 2 inch per hour. Once again though, this banding could expand/shift westward by 50 or more miles, which is in the realm of QPF spread seen in GEFS and SREF, which have a reasonable range of 1/10 to 1 inch across NYC!

So overall, the probability for a light to moderate accumulating snowfall event for the entire area is high late tonight into Thu eve, with a heavy snowfall expected for much of LI and CT. Potential still exists for the entire region to see a moderate to heavy snow event.

A good middle of the road compromise for qpf with the track/banding uncertainty is staying close to GEFS/SREF/ECMWF ensemble means. This was blended in with WPC for consistency. This results in 1/2 to 1 inch qpf across LI/SE CT, 1/4th to ½ inch across NYC/NJ metro and SW CT, and up to 1/4 inch to the NW. Snow ratios are a bit tricky with strong omega in the saturated snow growth and eventually in the warmer riming saturated region, especially for eastern and coastal areas. So a blend of snow ratio algorithms and WPC was used that appear to capture this. This points towards a likelihood of 6 to 12 inch snowfall for E LI/SE CT, 4 to 7 inches westward to the Hudson River, and 1 to 4 inches to the NW. As mentioned, this remains a fluid situation based on model spread, with potential for these numbers to go down, but still seems more reasonable upwards based on model trends and mode of SREF/GEFS/ECMWF ensemble members compared to operational runs. This higher trend is reflected in latest WFO/WPC snow probs, with high probs of greater than 6 inches of snow across E LI/SE CT and low to moderate probs to Hudson River. A significant jump in the reasonable worse case has also been noted, with 1 in 10 chance of seeing more than 12-16 inches of snow across much of LI/CT, 8 to 12 inches of snow across NYC/NJ metro to Hudson River, and 4 to 8 inches N & W still in play. In fact, the 06z NAM has come in with 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches of liquid QPF for much of the region, which is within SREF ensemble spread.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am in an 8-12" band, being west of Boston. Looks like just south of Boston is going to get Jackpot amounts.

I have my 2 re-powered machines waiting to throw some decent snow. I'll see if I can get some videos . . .

My neighbor's single stage broke, so I'll let him use my Toro 521, if he wants. Also, new neighbors across the street that do not seem to have a snow blower. . . probably will help them out as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
8-14" here in Southern RI. Glad I serviced the blower last week...new plug, oil change, all lubed up. Started on first pull. Bring it on!

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
I LOVE BIG BAD WEATHER!!!! especially raging blizzards. my best nights as a truck driver was driving thru blizzards over Donner Pass. Full chains and hauling ass ( even tho the speed limit was 35 ) with a bunch of other trucks so we wouldn't get stuck.

I love bad weather as long as everyone gets out of it safely.

may buy a place in the Northeast so i can be part of it. it ain't doing anything on the west coast like last winter.

I'm originally from the Boston area. remember the blizzard of 78. good times.

·
Registered
86 Posts
all i can say is bring it on lol i do remember the blizzard of 78 too. my oldest daughter was due that very day and luckily for me she was 2 weeks late!!! i have tomorrow off so no worries at all.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts