Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my Husqvarna out for its first snow this year. It was throwing snow in the normal manner, when we encountered an embankment of very condensed, wet, snow that the street plow smashed into place. The Husqvarna struggled for a moment, and then just stopped throwing, even though it was running. Turns out the auger would turn, but no longer under any kind of load. Sounds like the worm gear to me, but I was surprised the sheer pins didn't break to protect it.

So I tapped out the sheer pins to start the disassembly to get at the gear box. Guess what? The auger wont spin freely without the sheer pins in place! It has bonded, somehow, to the shaft underneath. Both sides in fact. Ugh.

Before I introduce Mr Husqvarna to Mr Crowbar, does anyone have any recommendations on how to divorce the auger from the shaft?

Thanks,

rich.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Penetrating oil. If that does not work, then you will need to heat it with a torch. The auger is rusted to the shaft. Which is why the shear pins did not shear.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
It has bonded, somehow, to the shaft underneath. Both sides in fact. Ugh.
"somehow" usually means "you didnt grease the rakes every year, as needed" Does it have zerk fittings? if so, when was the last time you greased them? greasing the rakes needs to a part of annual maintance..done every year without fail..then they wont rust to the shaft.

there was a recent thread here:
How to remove a seized auger/rake

about a method to unfreeze rakes..
hopefully yours arent that bad!
there are "degrees of frozen-ness"..depending on how long the rusting has been going on..if you are lucky, some penetrating oil might be good enough..if not, you will have to try something more drastic..

and yes, you probably stripped the gears in the gearbox..
now you have two major problems..stripped gears in the gearbox, and augers rusted to the shaft..
greasing the rakes would have prevented both..sorry..:(

Scot

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

Ha. I love bluntness. Yes, the damage was done from improper maintenance. Would it be easier/cheaper to replace the whole front end, provided I can find a dead machine for parts?

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Ha. I love bluntness. Yes, the damage was done from improper maintenance. Would it be easier/cheaper to replace the whole front end, provided I can find a dead machine for parts?
yeah..sorry about that..but sometimes blutness is really the only way to say it! ;)

easier and cheaper? probably yes..
easier to replace, and likely cheaper..but not necessarily easier to find!
the tricky bit will be actually finding the used parts from a junked machine..

I would start with any local Husky dealers, see if they stash old machines out back, if not, ask if they know of anyplace..

I have found around here that many of the *old* shops are the ones that stash decades worth of old mowers and snowblowers out behind the shop!
The flashier and newer stores dont really keep machines at all..
Take a look through the yellow pages (actual paper phone book, or yellow pages on-line) for "lawnmower repair" type places..those are the kinds of shops you want to look for..

Scot

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
and dont forget..when looking for used parts, it doesnt necessarily have to be from another Husqvarna specifically!

Husqvarna currently makes snowblowers under other names..
and in the recent past Husqvarna's were made by AYP/Electrolux, which also made snowblowers under several names..

So depending on the year and model of your machine, you might find Poulan, possibly some Craftsman, and a few other brands that are identical, or very close, to your machine, and will perhaps have matching parts..

it can get confusing when it comes to "who makes what"..
see this thread for some Husqvarna history:

AYP or Husqvarna? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

Scot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts