Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up two new in the box clipper decks, model cd2800. Anyone have any experience with these? They are apparently for the st824/?? I'm going to fit it on my st824 later and see what it does.
15982942445896456908948038441837.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice... I remember about 10 years ago some guy in Maine was selling a bunch of these for super cheap but it was local PU way out in Maine east of Jonesboro?? almost to Canada. These were Canadian made.
Interesting you say that. I'm in Long Island. The seller I got them from got them at an auction. These were made in Canada, and the guy I bought them from had called the Boston Lawnmower Company to figure out what they fit and the rep said that these were manufactured for several utility companies that had these Ariens snowblowers on site at properties that they maintained. So they got stuck with a bunch of these as the snowblowers aged out. The Boston Lawnmower company actually looked into retrofitting these onto newer machines but nothing came of that. At this point they don't have the technical drawings or any parts, but they do have 6 in their warehouse still.

It actually works very well. I've got a huge hill in our back yard and this climbs it like nothing. I usually go up there with the weedwacker because my self propelled mower is fwd and can't climb it well. This is my new favorite lawnmower lol

·
Registered
460 Posts
I remember because I actually thought about trekking to Maine to get one, but my original works plenty fine and it's only 2" less, plus the deck can roll independently of the tractor. It works great and saves 20 minutes over my Honda SX or the toro, but my turf is so thick that even on the highest setting it's just above scalp height (perhaps I should try some taller tires?). It's not like a regular mower though especially if you like to run it on 3rd gear or above. You better hang on because it will take you for a ride on the ZT.😀

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I would be taking off the heater box, and putting on an air filter for running in summer mowing setup.

Curious, what did you pay for it? I have a 724 ... interesting .....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be taking off the heater box, and putting on an air filter for running in summer mowing setup.

Curious, what did you pay for it? I have a 724 ... interesting .....
I'm pretty sure that it would fit any of the large wheeled ST line blowers. I bought them for 100 each. I went there to buy one and saw he had 2 so I got both. I just bought a new old stock air filter setup with the carb cover too on ebay so that I can run a filter. I had to try it out but will definitely be using a filter.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Good deal .... I would have paid the 100 also ..... Not that I need another mower, but just cool to have .....😊

·
Registered
460 Posts
OK so there is no spindle per se, the blade attaches directly to the angle gear without any blade brake and speed is determined on by the pulley sizes off the engine/Implement PTO?
Please show more of the height adjustment and front casters.
It seems very basic compared to the original version which was set up to roll left or right (with the turf) at the tractor PTO axis, then used an angle gear in close, then via vertical belt to a sliding pulley on a splined spindle shaft, which stayed in the stationary plane when the deck was raised or lowered. This also allowed safety clutching on both the Dog (which was also clutched by the tractor clutch, and via deck idler to engage blade rotation (so four clutches in total, Tractor, Dog, Blade, and Diskomatic, 5 if you engaged/disengaged the drive wheel locker)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK so there is no spindle per se, the blade attaches directly to the angle gear without any blade brake and speed is determined on by the pulley sizes off the engine/Implement PTO?
Please show more of the height adjustment and front casters.
It seems very basic compared to the original version which was set up to roll left or right (with the turf) at the tractor PTO axis, then used an angle gear in close, then via vertical belt to a sliding pulley on a splined spindle shaft, which stayed in the stationary plane when the deck was raised or lowered. This also allowed safety clutching on both the Dog (which was also clutched by the tractor clutch, and via deck idler to engage blade rotation (so four clutches in total, Tractor, Dog, Blade, and Diskomatic, 5 if you engaged/disengaged the drive wheel locker)
The height is controlled by this lever, and the u joints allow the deck to raise and lower. The speed is controlled by the pulley and only adjustable by the engine rpm, I assume the same as the ariens deck.

There is a brake, and it's on the pulley. The blade is engaged and disengaged by the auger lever. The brake is engaged when the auger is disengaged.

IMG_20200826_154348.jpg

IMG_20200826_154358.jpg

IMG_20200824_152124.jpg

15984714173472944129698135264492.jpg

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ok I see they use a band brake and what is that a 1" shaft? Can you use the same belt as the SB attachment or does it take a dedicated one? I like the simplistic caster fork. I do not believe there is a brake on the original Ariens 26". I'd say you got a heck of a deal for 100 because of that gear box alone.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I see they use a band brake and what is that a 1" shaft? Can you use the same belt as the SB attachment or does it take a dedicated one? I like the simplistic caster fork. I do not believe there is a brake on the original Ariens 26". I'd say you got a heck of a deal for 100 because of that gear box alone.
Yeah looks like a 1" shaft. The pulley on the mower is much smaller than the blower pulley so it does require its own belt, which the kit comes with.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yeah looks like a 1" shaft. The pulley on the mower is much smaller than the blower pulley so it does require its own belt, which the kit comes with.
OK then the next thing you should figure out is the blade speed reduction. To do that you'd have to spin the blade by hand one full revolution while you or a helper estimates the number of times the driveshaft rotates. It could be 1:1 or 2:1 because we know they changed the pulley to get the desired speed. (changing the pulley size is a cheaper route than a fractional gear), but it could still be fractional and if that's the case just estimate. Then you'd have to measure the engine sheave and brake pulley and calculate the primary reduction (it's usually 3:1 or so for the SB pulley or 1000-1200 rpms). Then you multiply the PTO primary reduction by the angle gear reduction then divide that into your rated governed engine crank speed and that would give you your blade rotation speed.

·
Registered
460 Posts
that sounds like a like of work! haha
It's really just simple arithmetic. Most likely the angle gear is 1:1. and it's most likey the pulley choice is a compromise for all purpose mowing and general conditions suited to an 8hp Tec engine. It' s handy to know cutting tip speed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts