Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can be very nit picky about things, so I thought I’d ask the group......

Yesterday I purchased a shiny new Hydro Pro 28 from a local dealer. It was delivered today and is sitting in my garage waiting for some snow to fall.

Here‘s the thing - when I was writing down serial numbers off the machine I found out it was actually produced in April 2019. This is the first new snowblower I’ve ever purchased - and it’s certainly the most expensive one I’ve ever had. I have to say I was kind of upset to learn it’s a year and a half old. Like I said - I can be crazy picky. My first reaction was to call the dealer and demand a replacement. Instead I called Ariens and asked if this model had any changes in the last year and a half. A very nice woman in customer service looked everything up and said apparently they‘d made some minor changes to a couple of retaining clips and bushings. Nothing radical.

You guys I’m sure have more experience buying these things from a dealer. Would this bother you or am I being ridiculous. I do realize it’s not like buying a new car and things sit around for a while. I guess, given the price of this thing, I’m a little more sensitive about the fact that it isn’t fresh from the factory.

Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
10,418 Posts
Welcome to SBF nokwitter

As long as you're honest about your evaluation of a machine we're all in.
I'm glad you took a breath and it was very smart to call Ariens before calling the Dealer. I can only relate to buying a new car. I've never had the spare money to go new on a snowblower as I can go cheap and rebuild if necessary. I'd expect the salesperson to inform me if it was last years model as I'd want the opportunity to buy a current year's model or get a reduced price on an older year's model even if it never had gas in it. Not saying I'd get a discount but I'd sure ask ask for it. A lot depends on how much snow is on the ground and how many more machines that dealer might be sitting on back in the shop, time of year and expected snowfall that year, cash or credit. It all plays a part.

The best answer is you have a brand spanking new machine and you made a very good choice. The Hydro Pro's from what I've read are top notch. Did you buy it in person ? If it were me I'd call the salesperson who sold you the machine and ask why you weren't told it's last years model, what the price difference is for the "new" one and figure out if you want and can get a price break or a new machine.
If you're not happy with the answers from the dealer remember there is always Ariens customer service.

Unlike cars what I don't know is when they start making model year 2019 and when that changes to 2020 and if it's different from manufacturer to manufacturer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello:
I had the exact same experience when I bought my 28 Hydro Pro EFI. Found out after it was delivered that it was new old stock as it were and was not the current model year. Did the same thing and did not call the dealer and raise a stink.
I sure do like the hydro so I can really dial in the propulsion depending on snow depth.
I did find that the dealer did a crappy job of set up as I wound up replacing broken bolts and having to make some fine adjustments.
Enjoy it in the snow!
Robert

·
Registered
99 Posts
If it's essentially the same, it really doesn't matter one bit. This is a pretty common thing since local sales volume can vary drastically from year to year depending on the weather. The dealer may not have even been aware that there were any changes at all, though they probably should have mentioned it was a carryover.

·
Registered
1971-72 910962 s/n-03101 att.-910995 s/n-048006 TEC# H70-130067A s/n-1218R
74 Posts
My opinion may differ from others, New old stock or not, if I looked and purchased a 2020 model and ended up being sold a year+ older model - it’s going back or I get a rebate, extended warranty on the new old stock! Especially since it wasn’t brought to your attention. I actually had an issue when I purchased my Tacoma, brand new well four months old, I test drove it, took pics of every side inside and out, agreed to buy it. Six hours later, after paperwork, payment, blah blah, blah, I go out to drive it home and noticed the wheels and tires are not the same as it was when I test drove it. So marched back in to salesman told him the deal, of course he didn’t believe me. I told him then purchase is off, I’ll go somewhere else. I asked to speak to the owner, after waiting fifteen minutes myself, Mr. Salesman, Mr car dealer owner, sat down and discussed the problem. Once I showed pictures to him he asked me to step out, and he and salesman powwowed went down to garage for about 30 minutes they called me back in , not only did I get the rims and tires that were originally on it he included lifetime oil changes as long as I owned it and apologized up and down. Come to find out one of the guys who prep the vehicles decided he liked my rims better and wanted them for his own vehicle. Shady deals happen everywhere and most people just accept it, I use to be that way, but poor customer service is no excuse for the end user to just accept the way things are. And the Bible doesn’t expect us keep taking a beating! Just Speak up, not make a scene, gently, honestly, but firmly. We all want to do the right thing, but sometimes struggle with sin. Ok sermon over ... sorry can’t help it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can be very nit picky about things, so I thought I’d ask the group......

Yesterday I purchased a shiny new Hydro Pro 28 from a local dealer. It was delivered today and is sitting in my garage waiting for some snow to fall.

Here‘s the thing - when I was writing down serial numbers off the machine I found out it was actually produced in April 2019. This is the first new snowblower I’ve ever purchased - and it’s certainly the most expensive one I’ve ever had. I have to say I was kind of upset to learn it’s a year and a half old. Like I said - I can be crazy picky. My first reaction was to call the dealer and demand a replacement. Instead I called Ariens and asked if this model had any changes in the last year and a half. A very nice woman in customer service looked everything up and said apparently they‘d made some minor changes to a couple of retaining clips and bushings. Nothing radical.

You guys I’m sure have more experience buying these things from a dealer. Would this bother you or am I being ridiculous. I do realize it’s not like buying a new car and things sit around for a while. I guess, given the price of this thing, I’m a little more sensitive about the fact that it isn’t fresh from the factory.

Thanks
Question have you had any shear pin issues with it? I also bought a 2020 Pro (now i need to look to see when it was built) and with no heavy snow LH sheer pin broke twice used the unit 5 times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts