Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings just going to give everyone a little tip

If your looking to upgrade your more recent 921 series 28 deluxe or 30 Deluxe
Brandnewengines has a Subaru SX40 14hp 404 cc overhead cam with timing chain, 1inch shaft, cast iron sleeve, 7 litter tank for 299 shipped.
I do believe it comes with a 60watt coil but I think you can swap it for a 200watt coil for led lights and sound system.

I bought my 30 Deluxe model 921047 with the AX306 about 2 months ago and like a typical fool I can't leave anything alone even something new I must modify it.

Anyways the Subaru motor bolt holes line right up.
The shaft size and hight are perfect.
I did have to cut off 1/2 a inch of the shaft.

The Subaru motor has a stepped 1 3/8 dia about a inch deep right next to the motor which needs to be addressed. Being I'm putting a 72102800 track kit on as well I have a new pulley to install for the wheel drive.
I just went to a local machine shop and had them open the back of the pulley up to 1 3/8 and 5/8s deep.

Only possible down side is now I only have about 7/16s of key stock keeping the pulley from turning on the shaft.

A little bending of the stock belt fingers as the bolt holes are a little off on the Subaru motor and it's all good.

First impressions are it's much quieter and smoother than the AX306 that was on it. The 306 vibrated so bad the the machine had many irritating rattles. I also found the 306 to start lugging pretty hard in 16 inches of snow. Maybe it's because it wasn't broken in yet fully.

Also another bonus it has a 7 litter tank. I've seen some people on the forum complaining about the smaller Ariens tanks.

Anyways it looks good on there and even looks like it could be factory, machine balance does not seem to be affected with the bigger motor.

Please forgive my sentence structure and grammar, I'm a fixer not a poet.

If anyone wants I can maybe put some pictures up tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Very nice, thanks for sharing!

And the engine picture helped. I didn't realize that you meant it's an overhead cam engine with chain *cam* drive. I thought it had a chain sprocket on the crankshaft, for driving, well, something with a chain. I've only heard good things about the Subaru engines, that should be a really nice machine!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Subaru has a third party looking after parts support and warranty now that they are getting out of the small engine buisness.
Hopefully maybe some one will buy the rights to continue making these motors.

They sure seem pretty technically advanced and we'll made.

Very cool upgrade. Just be advised Subaru is no longer in the small engine business.

I'm finding it a pain to find some things that I need at the moment.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
This one's not a boxer engine, though :)

That is too bad if they got out of small engines, though. Especially if no one picks up the torch and continues making them. It's always useful to have more options available.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Cool, nice job madriver.

Very cool upgrade. Just be advised Subaru is no longer in the small engine business.

I'm finding it a pain to find some things that I need at the moment.
That’s news to me, from what I gather Subaru’s small engines were excellent. Maybe they had a hard time keeping up with Honda’s brand notoriety in the premium engine market.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greetings just going to give everyone a little tip

If your looking to upgrade your more recent 921 series 28 deluxe or 30 Deluxe
Brandnewengines has a Subaru SX40 14hp 404 cc overhead cam with timing chain, 1inch shaft, cast iron sleeve, 7 litter tank for 299 shipped.
I do believe it comes with a 60watt coil but I think you can swap it for a 200watt coil for led lights and sound system.

I bought my 30 Deluxe model 921047 with the AX306 about 2 months ago and like a typical fool I can't leave anything alone even something new I must modify it.

Anyways the Subaru motor bolt holes line right up.
The shaft size and hight are perfect.
I did have to cut off 1/2 a inch of the shaft.

The Subaru motor has a stepped 1 3/8 dia about a inch deep right next to the motor which needs to be addressed. Being I'm putting a 72102800 track kit on as well I have a new pulley to install for the wheel drive.
I just went to a local machine shop and had them open the back of the pulley up to 1 3/8 and 5/8s deep.

Only possible down side is now I only have about 7/16s of key stock keeping the pulley from turning on the shaft.

A little bending of the stock belt fingers as the bolt holes are a little off on the Subaru motor and it's all good.

First impressions are it's much quieter and smoother than the AX306 that was on it. The 306 vibrated so bad the the machine had many irritating rattles. I also found the 306 to start lugging pretty hard in 16 inches of snow. Maybe it's because it wasn't broken in yet fully.

Also another bonus it has a 7 litter tank. I've seen some people on the forum complaining about the smaller Ariens tanks.

Anyways it looks good on there and even looks like it could be factory, machine balance does not seem to be affected with the bigger motor.

Please forgive my sentence structure and grammar, I'm a fixer not a poet.

If anyone wants I can maybe put some pictures up tomorrow.
does that engine have a 1 inch shaft?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Correct but unlike the Ariens AX series the whole length of the shaft is not 1 inch.
You can see the step up to 1 3/8s right in front of the oil seal.
You need the whole length to be one inch.
That is the only friging you would need to address for the swap.
I just had the pulley machined for 10 bucks to slip over the larger portion of the shaft, maybe I'll not be so lazy tomorrow and take a pic of what I mean.

Alternatively you could move the motor back to get the shaft in the right place, but then you would need to drill new engine mount holes
Remember I did cut off half a inch of shaft length, moving the motor back about 1/2 of a inch would accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Sadly the Subaru engine on my almost 2 year old Ariens Razor mower is having auto choke issues as well as blowing oil out of a seal somewhere. Gotta get it back into the dealer before warranty expires. I've been using my trusty JD JX75 mower since last summer.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have an Ariens edger for my sidewalks. It has a Subaru engine on it. It has begun having starting issues, so I assume a carburetor. Well they can be had aftermarket for less than $20 a piece shipped so I bought 2. However I can't find good gaskets. I ordered them from Subaru directly and they refunded my money as they are backordered. So I've ordered them thru another guy. Lets see if these gaskets have the holes in the right spots this time....

Yeah, I could buy gasket paper but I have part numbers, someone must have a few gaskets on a shelf somewhere.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Related questions:

1. Does anyone know the cc of a Honda 11 hp engine? (I.e., HS1132TA)

2. I would like to see more photos of the track kit and your installation progress.

I have a Honda HS1132TA tracked machine which I love. It bogs down at end of driveway where Caltrans plow pushes a wall of snow which, as a result, is dense. But it has never stalled on me. Never.

I also have an Ariens wheeled ST1032. I respect its build quality. But its function is sorely lacking. I believe it needs an impeller kit. Probably a larger engine, and likely tracks (to replace the snowhog tires with V-bar 4-link chains) to keep the auger bucket from rising up when it can't handle the density or amount of snow feeding into the bucket (especially when going up the incline of my dirt driveway.

One thing you will likely notice with your track kit, is that it likely does not have a bucket height adjuster (foot peddle on the HS1132 and HS1332 and hydraulic on the HSS1332 tracked models). So, I want to know how your tracks work without auger bucket height adjustment.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts