Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up my new 1332 ATD and can't wait to use it this weekend!

Unfortunately , It already has an annoying issue that I noticed when I went to pick it up tonight.

The throttle lever appears to be very out of adjustment and does not increase or decrease any engine speed during the first half of its travel. The first half is a total dead zone . There is also a noticeable detent or notch like feel to the lever when moving the lever through that transition to and from the dead zone even with the engine off .

Here is a video I took to help explain.

I noticed this same issue weeks ago playing with non running 928 that was at another dealer but tonight I tried the throttle on another 1332 at the dealer and it functioned / felt normally.

The blower is already home and I'd rather adjust or fix whatever is wrong... I'm guessing it needs the cable or governor adjusted but it seems very odd that Honda would have let this happen unless it was done on purpose ...

Does anyone else have this issue ?

· Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased the same model from my local dealer and the drive engage clutch lever handle was out of adjustment. The dealer fixed it but it still feels a bit off compared to the other 928 he had in the showroom. I am thinking the new assembly plant down in Georgia is still working out the bugs in the cable installation department.

· Registered
2 Posts
Blepski I should have watched your video before posting the reply above. Your throttle does the exact same thing my new 1332 does. There is a dead zone and it basically acts as a high low throttle only. I have had one opportunity to use the snowblower and it functioned perfectly fine. The engine automatically revs up once you hit some heavy snow as it has some sort of automatic governor. So I wouldn't worry about it unless someone else can identify this as an issue.

Dan

· Registered
1,131 Posts
You can adjust the cable to have the dead zone on the top or leave it as it i.e. at the lower end. The affective travel part of the throttle is only an inch or so rather than all the 2ish" that it can travel.

Not sure if the HSS724/924 have separate choke rather than integrated choke/throttle but in the older HS 624/724/828/928 had integrated choke/throttle, throttle for the first 3/4 part and choke at the top 1/4 part. The HS1132/1332 models has separate choke and throttle controls yet the lever for the throttle and the travel distance was the same as the smaller units. So in case of the HS1132/1332 you had the same dead area as shown in your case, nothing to worry about unless it annoys you.

· Registered
119 Posts
question is to know if the engine is revving at the right rpm....I also have the first half of the throttle lever free.... does nothing to rpm. Maybe that is the reason i find the blower going backward and forward slow....

· Registered
1,131 Posts
question is to know if the engine is revving at the right rpm....I also have the first half of the throttle lever free.... does nothing to rpm. Maybe that is the reason i find the blower going backward and forward slow....

Max suggested RPM for GX340/390 is 3600. One way to check would be to hook up a tach meter, one of those cheap ebay ones should do the job.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I find confusing is that I have moved the throttles (non running engines) on several other non auto choke models ( 928 and 1332) and they do not do this.... They move smoothly through the complete range of motion and have no dentent like feel in the halfway position....

When the throttle is pulled all the way back to the slow end stop the control cable underneath is also distorted and folded up with excessive slack until it is moved into the halfway position.

Not knowing if this is how its supposed to be is what bothers me the most.

If more members would chime in we could get a better idea.....

· Registered
22 Posts
Our new HSS1332 does not have a "dead" zone so to speak. It has the separate chock and throttle assembly. It will speed up or down through all of the lever travel. I agree it seems like a dealer issue, poor PDI.

· Registered
841 Posts
The model engineer shared this with me:

The throttle control on the HSS controls the governor, not the actual throttle plate on the carburetor. The governor controls the throttle plate.

What is really important is does the engine reach the specific speed when the throttle is pushed to FAST? And, does it hold the speed during use? There is a maximum and minimum adjustment point/speed and a friction adjustment too. So, you really need a tach to check the speeds, and some testing time to confirm the throttle doesn't move.

Keep in mind, you should always keep the throttle set to FAST when using the snow blower. The throttle lever is really on there to allow you to slow the engine (for less noise) when you may need to briefly step away from the machine.

· Registered
29 Posts
All you need is full throttle i agree, but how do you know if you really have the full throttle ? If the cable is not adjusted proprely... you may end up with only 75% of the available throttle.

I've been wondering about it, the throttle lever seems to stop when it hits the end of the plastic slot its in, which doesn't really tell me if its as far as it goes at the other end. I pulled a bit on the cable itself from under while it was running and didn't seem to have more slack nor rev higher, but I want to try it with some covers off the engine at some point to get a good look, and I still need to get a tachometer.

· Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the update, Robert. I don't have a tach to test mine with but I don't suspect I'm not hitting intended RPMs. The machine spools up when I put it to fast and sounds about right to my untrained ears and settles down nicely when I bring it back to slow.

I do have that dead zone others spoke about, however mine is only about 1/3 of the of the overall travel.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for the info and update Robert.

I understand that the throttle controls the governor. What I do not understand however is that I tried the throttle on several 928's and 1332's that I test drove / demoed at the dealer and found most of them did NOT have this issue. They move through the entire range of throttle motion with a increase and decrease of engine speed throughout the range.

What is causing this inconsistency ?

I supposed checking the rpm's are the next step.

What are the target rpm's for full throttle and low throttle settings?

Is this checked with the engine running with no load?

Is there anyone who's new HSS 928 or 1332 does not do this half dead throttle situation? If so please take a video similar to mine showing the throttle moving through the whole range with the engine running.

Thank you!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts