Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
My HSS928 works the same as in the first video. I have a tach on mine so I uploaded this for comparison. I can adjust the speed within that short range but I run it either at idle or full speed as Robert suggested. Max speed cold is 3500 on mine just sitting but it runs at 3600 exactly when under light to moderate load.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I understand that full throttle will be used most of the time but that's not the point ....

More to the point is that the operation of all controls on my brand new and very expensive machine work properly as designed.

If there is a problem with the throttle and or its adjustment I want to correct it ....

· Registered
57 Posts
Max speed cold is 3500 on mine just sitting but it runs at 3600 exactly when under light to moderate load.
So does anyone know if this is the correct RPM? I have not had much need to run my 928 but I have been thinking that it was under performing relative to my 3 year old 928 that I sold. This could be the answer if we are not getting to rated RPM.

· Registered
119 Posts
So does anyone know if this is the correct RPM? I have not had much need to run my 928 but I have been thinking that it was under performing relative to my 3 year old 928 that I sold. This could be the answer if we are not getting to rated RPM.
My blower is a HSS1332, and this picture is not mine...
I dont want to complain.... maybe because i stand behind the blower when i use it... but IMO, no chance my blower shoot like my friend's one that is a HS1332 (2015 model) I have seen all kind of snow this year... some very light but honnestly, its doesnt shoot like this one.
Could the impeller size be the reason ? not ennough torque to turn the 14inch impeller as fast as the 12inch of previous years models

· Registered
20 Posts
Yes, the correct RPM at max throttle should be 3600 for HSS928 and 3500 for HSS1332 as mentioned by Robert in another thread: HSS928TA Review/First Impressions

· Registered
119 Posts
You can easily see why the throttle is only working half way... the cable is way too loose. See the curb in the cable. this is at full low position.

Here is with the throttle half way, where it start to increase the rpm of the engine, you can see the throttle cable that there is no loose anymore, it is straight.

Now it can easily be adjusted by adjusting the screw that hold the cable and bring it down ....half of an inch can be adjusted approx.

· Registered
22 Posts
My blower is a HSS1332, and this picture is not mine...
I dont want to complain.... maybe because i stand behind the blower when i use it... but IMO, no chance my blower shoot like my friend's one that is a HS1332 (2015 model) I have seen all kind of snow this year... some very light but honnestly, its doesnt shoot like this one.
Could the impeller size be the reason ? not ennough torque to turn the 14inch impeller as fast as the 12inch of previous years models

I don't have a photo but I personally know that our new 1332 will out blow our 828 which is no slouch, very similar to your photo. Our 1332 has more than enough torque, no complaints.

· Registered
119 Posts
maybe my blower engine is not broken yet, 10 hrs on it... I want to see a HSS1332 working like the image above... which is a HS1332 (2015 model). Again i might be wrong, but my HSS1332 is not blowing like this one... maybe later this winter with enough hours on the engine, all will turn more freely.

After a second thought, Simple calculation here
By deduction here, if you look at the picture, knowing that the guy mesure 5' 10", and then you compare his mesure with the length of the snow Shute.... My deduction is that it is throwing 35feet into the air. Now i do know that my blower throw snow 35feet and more.

Standing behind the blower it is not always evident that you throw that far into the air.

· Premium Member
3,446 Posts
My deduction is that it is throwing 35feet into the air. Now i do know that my blower throw snow 35feet and more.
Standing behind the blower it is not always evident that you throw that far into the air.
What I think you'll need to do to know for fact is have someone take a video of a few pics when you are using your blower.
Honda snowblowers in good working order and in "ideal" snow conditions can blow snow 40-55' (they are known the most for its throwing distance-besides their reliability)
:blowerhug:

· Premium Member
6,344 Posts
My HSS1332ATD had the "mostly dead throttle" problem. Big slack in the cable at minimum throttle position. I adjusted the cable so that the minimum position has almost no slack, and now the maximum throttle position is about 1/4" from the end of the slot. Hard to tell without a tach, but it SEEMS faster at max throttle. It definitely seems to have less abrupt throttle effect than before. I can select from the full range of RPM, while it was pretty much on/off before. Won't use it much at less than max, but now I can if the whim strikes...

· Premium Member
1,594 Posts
My HSS928 throttle also has the half dead zone as you call it. Noticed it right away 2 years ago. I've check my rpms at idle and full throttle and everything is to spec.

I thought all HSS models had this same nuance characteristic . Either way, works just fine.

· Registered
6 Posts
My HSS1332ATD throttle too functions more or less as a high/low. It hasn't bothered me as the only time it's not set to 'full' is when I'm warming it up. Since I have the luxury of a battery/starter, any conversations with the wife or dog happen with the machine off ... a feature I thought was ridiculous when buying but have come to love.

· Registered
270 Posts
The last time I mentioned this a couple of members called me out for criticizing the workers at Honda. If you search YouTube you'll find a video of the plant that assembles lawn mowers and snowblowers and you can judge for yourself if the workers look very interested and quality control oriented to you. Between all the clogging issues and quality control issues I've seen on this forum this winter it appears Honda needs a rethink of their engineering and quality control practices. I've always been a fan of Honda motorcycles, cars and ATVs and still am but I'm beginning to wonder about their small engine equipment.

· Registered
382 Posts
The last time I mentioned this a couple of members called me out for criticizing the workers at Honda. If you search YouTube you'll find a video of the plant that assembles lawn mowers and snowblowers and you can judge for yourself if the workers look very interested and quality control oriented to you. Between all the clogging issues and quality control issues I've seen on this forum this winter it appears Honda needs a rethink of their engineering and quality control practices. I've always been a fan of Honda motorcycles, cars and ATVs and still am but I'm beginning to wonder about their small engine equipment.
Do you even own a new honda snowblower? I have made emotional comments on here in the heat of the moment about clogging when I first encountered the issue, but I gotta say once I've learned the snowblower and its habits, it hasn't clogged on me since. Everything else with the machine has been perfect! It is an absolute beast.

The dealerships do a pdi on these snowblowers before you pick it up, so anything out of adjustment once in your hands is the dealers fault! No brand is perfect.

· Registered
270 Posts
Do you even own a new honda snowblower? I have made emotional comments on here in the heat of the moment about clogging when I first encountered the issue, but I gotta say once I've learned the snowblower and its habits, it hasn't clogged on me since. Everything else with the machine has been perfect! It is an absolute beast.

The dealerships do a pdi on these snowblowers before you pick it up, so anything out of adjustment once in your hands is the dealers fault! No brand is perfect.
So what you're saying is all the people having trouble with these snowblowers don't know what they're doing? That's an interesting take on their problems I don't imagine they'd agree with.

· Registered
382 Posts
So what you're saying is all the people having trouble with these snowblowers don't know what they're doing? That's an interesting take on their problems I don't imagine they'd agree with.
Yup, that's EXACTLY what I said. :sarcasm:

I can tell by your attitude that there is no sense in reasoning with you, so I won't. But just remember, at the end of the day I have 50 hours first hand experience with these machines, and you have nada. Good day!

· Registered
270 Posts
The fact that I don't have a Honda is not in dispute here. The fact that some people on this forum have had a number of problems with these machines including yourself is also a fact. For you to question these other Honda owners expertise with their machines seems rather hypocritical to me but I will let these other members judge for themselves. For anyone following this thread who would like to see what Senior Member Marlow had to say in the past here are the threads he started a few weeks ago.

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/honda-snowblowers/103985-bolt-next-gearbox-broke.html

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...ger-lever-interlock-only-works-some-time.html

And to you sir, Mr. Marlow, this is my last post on the matter, I will let your own words speak for themselves.

· Premium Member
1,594 Posts
In a nutshell... It's been a road of expectations and emotions.

New Hondas are experiencing issues. They are being resolved by Honda with the cooperation of dealers and owners.

Unfortunately these problems are overshadowing the bigger picture. They are awesome snowblowers!

Perhaps we can stop beating the proverbial dead horse and focus on keeping this a forum of cooperating enthusiasts who provide a resource of valueable information.

:icon-deadhorse:

· Registered
692 Posts

Hummm.....the word "habits" here got my attention. I like this term. It keeps things in perspective.

I came here today from a lawnmower site I'm also a member of and frequent because I am currently rebuilding a 25 year old L-Head Briggs engine (new rings, ignition coil, valve lapping, etc). Guess what? Lawnmowers have "habits" too. Briggs don't start well in cold weather, Tecumsehs have surging/governor issues, MTD carb jets clog easy, blah, blah, blah. Nothing will be perfect to everyone because there is no assembly plant, no engineering firm, no testing ground, etc., that has everyone's individual name on it. These machines aren't a Starbuck's latte that's been tweaked to an customer's definition of "perfection."

Part of the skill of being an operator (think "craftsman") is making the machine function the best it can within its capabilities. Granted, if the expectation gap for what you paid is huge, there is a problem. But for the most part these Hondas are terrific, even by objective standards--maybe not *perfect to everyone's liking,* but great--nonetheless. It's waaaaay too early to blame the tool folks. That's what novices do when they buy a tool and it doesn't make them look good from the get-go. You gotta re-educate yourself to new model. I'd use a new girlfriend analogy here, but I've been married 25 years; all I remember is: "every engine has its own speed."

My HSS724ACT, like its big brother 928 and 1332, has phenomenal traction, a hydrostatic transmission that turns with the squeeze of a handle lever, infinitely variable height adjustment via a thumb lever, and a joystick that controls the discharge. SERIOUSLY??? How great is this???? To date it has never clogged (FOR ME). It has slowed, granted. But after reading the importance of going in full throttle and adjusting path width, I solved my issue. I am sure it will clog in really wet stuff...but so will ALL other brands, and I accept that. Boo hoo. Newsflash--so did pre-2016 HS models I've used like the 928 if you bog them down. Any complaints I have so far for the new HSS models fall so deep into the "first world problem" category that I'm embarrassed to discuss them here: the new LED isn't aimed properly; the battery lacks a tender connection; the auger needs Zerks; the throttle works fine, but has dead zones, etc.

Granted, the things I have mentioned are just what I have witnessed, so don't freak out if you are experiencing the more frustrating clogging issues documented elsewhere on this site. We love what we know, but models change. I appreciate this and hope a solution is fast on the horizon for you. My old Ariens and Craftsman beat my new Honda in some ways, including raw horsepower. But I don't miss them a bit. And I especially don't miss them when I'm not installing chains, changing discharge direction with a weatherproof joystick, adjusting height without a wrench, turning on a dime using a simple hand squeeze, or climbing deck stairs with rubber treads. How spoiled are we Honda owners here really?

I too may rant on this forum in the months to come when I inevitably experience a clog on my $3600 CND machine in deep wet snow. It won't be pleasant. But jump over to the other Snowblower Brand Forums. Some of these guys are having meltdowns over sheer pins, friction disks, plastic discharge chutes, primer bulbs, and drive axles. The next time your Honda (with its terrific decompression valve copied by many others) starts on its first or second pull, doesn't shatter its discharge chute at -30C, or turns a tight corner without stalling, remember why these machines cost more.

When I picked up new piston rings for my Briggs mower, the shop I go to had a 50 year old Toro Sportsman reel mower in for a tune-up. I love reel mowers. I think they were the best technology ever. Until you hit a rock. Or have to go up a hill. Or have to sharpen them. Or want to mulch. Then you appreciate the newer models and come to like them, including all their "habits."

For the record, I have no brand allegiance. I've owned multiple brands for 40 years. I love and hate them all equally.

I agree with Marlow here.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts