Snowblower Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

· Registered
382 Posts
The thing that gets me is that the people who bash these machines the most don't even own them and have never used them. There was even one guy on here(named chaulky45) who went on an on about how bad the new ones are(even though he never tried it himself). And to back up his assertion of how bad they are, he even made up a story about how 15 of his friends had bought them and returned them for refunds and got yamahas! After I caught him red handed on that blatant lie he hasn't posted since! LMAO It's kind of offensive how stupid those types of bullshitters like that think we are. Lying helps nobody, and I hope Honda goes after him legally for spreading such nonsense on public forums.

· Registered
142 Posts
Adjusted the threaded piece today but there is still bending of the cable when at full slow. With the tighter cable, full fast is no longer to the top. No seeming difference in rpm. I would say Honda put the wrong length cable in there. Shouldn’t the cable be straight at full slow?

· Premium Member
6,344 Posts
Adjusted the threaded piece today but there is still bending of the cable when at full slow. With the tighter cable, full fast is no longer to the top. No seeming difference in rpm. I would say Honda put the wrong length cable in there. Shouldn’t the cable be straight at full slow?
I adjusted my HSS1332ATD throttle lever to be at dead slow at the bottom of the range of movement. The max throttle is now below the end of the throttle slot, and there's a steady increase of RPMs with lever movement. Since the max RPM is actually controlled by the governor, all is well.

· Registered
2 Posts
This is still happening. I just picked up an HSS928AATDRE and I found the same thing, the throttle doesn't change the engine rpm until it's halfway through the range of motion. They also forgot my manual. I'm taking it back tomrrow to see if they can adjust it.

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
Unfortunately , see this all the time. Not sure if this is a factory issue or a dealer set up issue.
A good dealer would check this and adjust before selling. It takes time to properly set up a new Honda and that is why you may have to pay a little more from a dealer compared to Home Depot or Acme or one of those outfits.

You get what you pay for. I know I'll hear about some of the bad dealers out there. We have 4 in our area. One is excellent and the others not so much.

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
This... It's an easy adjustment.

What's the "RE" at the end of your model number?
we are seeing a lot of this as well as broken F/R cables. I was told Honda upgraded that cable to a stronger one because of this.
It;s probably the #1 problem I hear from HSS owners....the new owners. problems with cables and steering controls. I just don't have much experience with them .....yet.

· Registered
2 Posts
This is still happening. I just picked up an HSS928AATDRE and I found the same thing, the throttle doesn't change the engine rpm until it's halfway through the range of motion. They also forgot my manual. I'm taking it back tomrrow to see if they can adjust it.
I followed up with my dealer and they said that this was normal because all of the snowblowers in this shipment have this throttle dead spot at the beginning. They said there was no adjustment and that at max throttle it would be hitting the governor anyways so it's getting max rpm at max throttle an I wouldn't be losing any top end RPM. IT seems to contradict what some folks said in this thread. My Honda dealer refuses to do anything about it. Should I call Corporate?

I'm not sure what the RE means it's whats listed on my dealer invoice under model number.

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
I followed up with my dealer and they said that this was normal because all of the snowblowers in this shipment have this throttle dead spot at the beginning. They said there was no adjustment and that at max throttle it would be hitting the governor anyways so it's getting max rpm at max throttle an I wouldn't be losing any top end RPM. IT seems to contradict what some folks said in this thread. My Honda dealer refuses to do anything about it. Should I call Corporate?

I'm not sure what the RE means it's whats listed on my dealer invoice under model number.
ha, this is corporate speak. translated it means we don;t know why this happens and we don't care so leave us alone.

capishe?

· Registered
616 Posts
Keep in mind, you should always keep the throttle set to FAST when using the snow blower. The throttle lever is really on there to allow you to slow the engine (for less noise) when you may need to briefly step away from the machine.

I run mine at as slow a speed as suits the conditions. If you run your car in low gears and max RPM you are going to wear the engine out a lot sooner. As long as you do not lug the engine you can set it at any speed that works. Use it if you need it but if not, no.

I think its a simplified one answer fits all thing that works for most owners who are not tech inclined. At maximum RPM you still hit snow depths (or wet) that bogs it down and you just slow the machine down till the engine can keep up.

There is no magical concept that says running at max rpm has to be done and there is a reason modern vehicles have 8 gears in an automatic transmission. Its all about RPM and slower speeds (which also improves fuel economy not that is an issue with snow blowers) .

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
Keep in mind, you should always keep the throttle set to FAST when using the snow blower. The throttle lever is really on there to allow you to slow the engine (for less noise) when you may need to briefly step away from the machine.

I run mine at as slow a speed as suits the conditions. If you run your car in low gears and max RPM you are going to wear the engine out a lot sooner. As long as you do not lug the engine you can set it at any speed that works. Use it if you need it but if not, no.

I think its a simplified one answer fits all thing that works for most owners who are not tech inclined. At maximum RPM you still hit snow depths (or wet) that bogs it down and you just slow the machine down till the engine can keep up.

There is no magical concept that says running at max rpm has to be done and there is a reason modern vehicles have 8 gears in an automatic transmission. Its all about RPM and slower speeds (which also improves fuel economy not that is an issue with snow blowers) .
a contrarian here.....good for you.

I used to run my Harley at max throttle almost all the time. not sure why. I just turned into an animal when I was on my bike. Out run the cops many times. was caught many times. also many accidents until it almost killed me.

had to have brain surgery the last time.......which may explain a couple things......

· Registered
96 Posts
There’s a video somewhere how to turn your RPMs up my HSS 928 was set at 3600 RPMs and the video showed how to turn it up to 3800 RPMs but I can’t find the video I’ve done this 4 years ago. So far so good.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts