Snowblower Forum banner
101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Did you drain the fuel tank at the end of the season and what fuel plus additives (if any) you used for your recent very successful start.
89 octane, 10% ethanol blend, treated with Ethanol Shield. Fuel tank was filled to the max to help prevent condensation buildup.

Reactions: Town

·
Registered
215 Posts
Did you drain the fuel tank at the end of the season and what fuel plus additives (if any) you used for your recent very successful start.

I just drained my tank, ran it till it died and walked away(call me a rebel)............Few days ago, poured a cap full of non-eth in the tank, turned the key on, pump hummed for a sec, servo wiggled about and first pull baby!!! Runs like a top!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mine doesn't do that.
@system

I was hoping you might share your service shops name?

I'm getting conflicting info and parts from Ariens (and dealers) that doesn't make sense regarding the flywheel and ignition coil for a Kraken and from what I'm finding, it sounds like there are only a few Kraken's out there so far and yours might be the only one so far that might be being seen by mech that might be able to help solve a mystery.............

The conflicting info..........Ariens/LCT parts break outs for Kraken(Mountineering) shows/sells a CDI ignition coil(Pic 1) that has to be of course ran with a magnetic pulse via a outside mounted flywheel magnet, (Pic 2), BUT all the dealers including Ariens only calls out/sells a Kraken(Mountineering) flywheel that has NO magnet mounted outside(Pic 3)........No one can tell me why on the same engine/s they are listing/selling a flywheel without the outer magnet to run with their listed CDI ig coil that requires the outer magnet.....WTH? The two don't jive.......Yet both are being sold/listed in the same engine/s.

Jewellery Auto part Cable Metal Nickel

Pic 1 Part #: 20001159
Called out/sold for 926520 and 926521(Kraken/Mountineering[among others]) to work with Part #: 20001533 (Pic 3) according to Ariens/LCT(requires outer flywheel magnet)

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Grinding Rim Gas

Pic 2 Part #: 20001142, Called out/sold to work with Part #: 20001159 (Pic 1)
I run both Pic 1 and Pic 2, my 921066 parts list has called out/sold the two correctly

Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Circle Auto part

Pic 3 Part #: 20001533
NOTE*.......No outside magnet(nor one integrated into steel)
Called out/sold for 926520 and 926521(Kraken/Mountineering) and to be used with Part #: 20001159 (Pic 1) according to Ariens/LCT......This type flywheel though looks to be for a hall effect/prox sensor setup that counts pulse width steps(see on edge steps w one odd spacing) and triggers a external CDI box DEFINITELY not a mag armature type CDI Ig.(Pic 1)

The "Problem".......Pic 1 is documented and sold by Ariens to work with Pic 3(and vice versa), but Pic 1 can and does only work with Pic 2(outside mounted mag type).......So if I buy a Pic 3 flywheel(which I did) according to their own docs, it is suppose to work if I have Pic 1 ig coil........NOT!!! No magnet!! Not even a cutout for one...........

Ariens claims they're limited to LCT docs, and of course seems helpless/clueless and goes on the defensive, LCT only refers out to shops that work on the motors.....Geeesh, something is wrong with their documentation I think and because China is driving the ship, well you know the rest.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I don't have one but is it possible your Kraken has points, a coil, and a battery thus requiring no magnet? Do you have a wiring diagram for your machine that we could look at?
No, it's not even remotely possible his Kraken from 2021-2022 has points.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't have one but is it possible your Kraken has points, a coil, and a battery thus requiring no magnet? Do you have a wiring diagram for your machine that we could look at?
Me either and no, no points on this motor. I'm just ordering the parts from LCT/Ariens using their provided parts diagram for their specific engine................yes
Font Pattern Auto part Fashion accessory Art

Flywheel Part #8 must have a discrete ig coil magnet mounted to itself (Pic 2 example above) in order to run Part #18 (Pic 1 above)................If I order part #8, Ariens/dealers are only shipping a flywheel with no magnet (Pic 3 above).

How does the saying go? Superman where are you now? @Ariens Company where are you these days? It's been about 7 yrs

·
Registered
215 Posts
Howdy boys. Just got the call. The blower is done. Fuel pump assembly was the issue. This is my dealer: Welcome - South Side Sales - Power Equipment, Snowmobiles, Mowers, Tractors and More

They have another Kraken in stock if anyone needs one. It might even start... ;)
Awesome and thanks, I'll take it for penny's on the dollar if(when?) it doesn't start..........LOL.

Seems there might be a bad run of pumps which seem intermittent as if i recall right, you did report you saw a 27 at first, but then it cleared as the pump hummed and the LED was solid with no error code showing..........Glad you're good now and crossing fingers for deeeeep snows this year.

Flaky pumps out there I think as @rlogan @jr27236 both had bad pumps as well as you, maybe @GeorgePowell's not clear on that one, @Shannon's went out, but had metal......Hmmmm.

I wonder if the service centers have a pump revision number out now on those pumps? or we're just swapping bad with bad? or perhaps it was just a small batch issue?......... Time will tell I reckon.......But @Shannon has set a stage of a "guess is you are going to see a lot more of this issue when people fire their new Krakens and Mountaineering editions up this winter for the first time" and I think I agree on a level as we are seeing brand new moralities that shouldn't happen, but I'm not sure its all metal shavings and I'm fairly certain all 2019/20 EFI's(my GLE does) are running this same pump, not just Krakens and Mountineering's.

·
Registered
520 Posts
As I showed and mentioned in one of my previous posts, my Kraken fired up no problem after sitting since April. Also it has 22 hrs. of runtime on it. That said, I think stocking a fuel pump for it is a good insurance plan.

Reactions: Sam Am I

·
Registered
215 Posts
As I showed and mentioned in one of my previous posts, my Kraken fired up no problem after sitting since April. Also it has 22 hrs. of runtime on it. That said, I think stocking a fuel pump for it is a good insurance plan.
Agreed and got one already, very very easy to replace. I powered it with 12V, let it suck up a bit of oil for storage. I fired up okay too the other day, first pull.......Small batch pump issue I hope.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
I confirmed with the dealer that this is a pretty common thing from last spring. They had a few like this already this year and they just sold a Mountaineering unit last week and had to swap the pump before the sale as it was DOA. I'm hoping it's a small batch issue. They got all their SE models last March so likely similar build dates. Will see...

That said, they really pissed me off. I picked up my machine the day after it was delivered to the dealer. It was 100% perfect. I put it in the garage out of direct sunlight when it got home. Now, after 1.5 weeks the dealer, it looks like it has been sitting outside for a year or two. All the upward facing surfaces (air inlet cover and fuel tank) are deglossed as if the sun faded them or someone took fine steel wool to them. I'm guessing what happened is, because the fuel tank was so full from never being used, it made a mess when removing and draining and the gas that was wiped off but not cleaned up, killed the finish on the paint. There are also 4 scratches on the fuel tank. Not sure what the heck went on during a simple fuel pump change! I didn't notice until I got home and now have a call into them and waiting to hear back. I know it's "just a snowblower" but when you spend near 5k with tax on something like this, you are somewhat of an OPE enthusiast and don't want your new toy looking like an old toy before it was ever used...

·
Registered
215 Posts
For crap sakes.........I think most everyone here takes pride in our machines old or new, that's totally wrong, I'm even bummed now!! What a shitty deal to do to a guy's new machine. Someone else a year back mentioned this same EXACT thing that was done to their brand new machine......Maybe they'll chime in and share as perhaps their was some resolution for them, not sure, but they were just as pissed off, I do recall that.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
For crap sakes.........I think most everyone here takes pride in our machines old or new, that's totally wrong, I'm even bummed now!! What a shitty deal to do to a guy's new machine. Someone else a year back mentioned this same EXACT thing that was done to their brand new machine......Maybe they'll chime in and share as perhaps their was some resolution for them, not sure, but they were just as pissed off, I do recall that.

I take care of my 1999 to an extent.
I won't leave it outside, and I try not to put it away too salty.

But a new $5K machine is a little different in my book. I'd expect that to be kept immaculate especially by the dealer. It's my job to destroy it, not theirs.

Isn't this the 2nd recent post on here about an Ariens dealer treating a new machine this way?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
So, heard back from the dealer. They were very sorry about the scratches on the tank but offered no restitution. On the fading, they insisted this is an LCT issue. The service guy said the owner has been complaining to Ariens about this for some time now as all the new machines on his lot look the same after just a couple weeks in the sun. I guess that could be possible as gas spills on tank tops all the time and it never takes the finish off. If that's the case then shame on LCT/Ariens for a low quality paint job and shame on the dealer for adding insult to injury with the scratches.

·
Registered
215 Posts
they insisted this is an LCT issue.
Hmmm, this is resonating lately seems.....Ownership and accountability or lack there of is a convenience these days esp when either, you choose, works to your advantage......Ahhhh, its a bright new consumer world out there with dealers selling manu's products who outsource their parts and labor! Nothing new I reckon just such a PITA.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
So, heard back from the dealer. They were very sorry about the scratches on the tank but offered no restitution. On the fading, they insisted this is an LCT issue. The service guy said the owner has been complaining to Ariens about this for some time now as all the new machines on his lot look the same after just a couple weeks in the sun. I guess that could be possible as gas spills on tank tops all the time and it never takes the finish off. If that's the case then shame on LCT/Ariens for a low quality paint job and shame on the dealer for adding insult to injury with the scratches.
If a dealer is displaying his new machines out doors and notices fading after a couple of weeks, why would he continue to put new machines out doors? Doesn't make sense.
Also, a customer's machine, especially when it is brand new is in for repairs, it should never be stored out doors in the elements, especially when the dealer is apparently aware of the issue with fading or discolouration.

IMHO the dealer needs to take some responsibility in this case and make things right.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
I agree boys. I'm just not up for the fight. I could remove the tank and air inlet area cover and spray it for free. Or I could spend two more 2 hour round trips bringing it up and back... and that's if they offered to help which so far, they haven't.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'd be pissed also! The last thing I did last season before I pulled the battery on mine was to totally wash the whole machine down and then I coated it and fluid film. It looks showroom ready.

101 - 120 of 160 Posts