Snowblower Forum banner
121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
It looks showroom ready.
Ditto, I was just crawling in the bucket with the touch up brush...Geeesh

And @JJG723, if you get a wild hair and happen to pull the cover off to want to clean the rust off your iron flywheel to clear coat it (drippy rust water issue I've noted, see Pic 2 post #107), I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today If you happen to snap me a picture of it and the Ig. coil. ;)

Ooops....Post #104

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'll give you a 10000 in trade that might start, but you'll be a lot less disappointed when it doesn't.
I paid 125 for it, so I don't feel those feelings after spending $5,000.

Read 'Superiority' by Arthur C. Clarke. He was a fine writer.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just ordered a new pump from Pats Small Engine Plus. $20. Much better than the $140 Ariens wants. Still $10 to ship but I'll take that deal lol.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just ordered a new pump from Pats Small Engine Plus. $20. Much better than the $140 Ariens wants. Still $10 to ship but I'll take that deal lol.
Piece of mind if anything and no different than extra shear pins esp for the level at which you require your machine.........Ya just loosen the tank(let it flop a bit), pop the flywheel cover off(5 bolts I think), un-due two wires(they have safety releases), then the three pumps mounting screws and it pops right out....I would steer clear of any "mechs" doing this cuz it's so easy and even if it's under warranty, but that's just me...

By the time you haul it there, wait for weeks usually, go through the BS and get it back....Nope, no way, too easy.......If you have any mech abilities, I'd say 0.5hrs tops using your wife's kitchen drawer tools, even on a bad hair day!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Piece of mind if anything and no different than extra shear pins esp for the level at which you require your machine.........Ya just loosen the tank(let it flop a bit), pop the flywheel cover off(5 bolts I think), un-due two wires(they have safety releases), then the three pumps mounting screws and it pops right out....I would steer clear of any "mechs" doing this cuz it's so easy and even if it's under warranty, but that's just me...

By the time you haul it there, wait for weeks usually, go through the BS and get it back....Nope, no way, too easy.......If you have any mech abilities, I'd say 0.5hrs tops using your wife's kitchen drawer tools, even on a bad hair day!
Absolutely! I've never taken any of my machines to the dealer for service. I also used to do a lot of snowblower repairs for people on the side. Life got in the way of that. Obviously going into buying this machine I had no experience with the EFI setup so that would have been the only thing I would have needed a dealer for. Even that would be only after if I was unable to figure out the problem myself.

That's another reason why I love this forum, so many knowledgeable people willing to help each other. Anytime I come across any EFI issues here i make sure to keep up to date with the posts to continue learning. The fuel pump swap is quite basic, plug and play. Just as simple and cheap as a carb swap. So far it appears that 99.9% of the EFI issues people are having are do to either low voltage from the battery or a bad pump. Easy peasy 👍

Reactions: Sam Am I and tabora

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had no experience with the EFI setup so that would have been the only thing I would have needed a dealer for. Even that would be only after if I was unable to figure out the problem myself.
You among 99% of the rest of us here that are reading what we're doing, done, shared and have experienced have more knowledge on these new EFI's machines than 99% of the mech's out there that are deemed competent to wrench on our machines(new or old).

We pack 'um up and take them to them when broke and trust these guys that don't know jack, our new machines are too new and these folks who feed most of us lines of BS aren't required to educate themselves on these machines, NO WAY, it's impossible based on many convo's I have had with these guys from coast to coast......Most haven't read two words or even know or care to know the basics on how these work, I'm finding this out daily and that is absolutely no stretch....

One guy working at a Ariens dealer thought I was lying to him when I told him I(me) can buy Ariens parts, I'm not kidding and how is this even possible? Did Ariens back in the day not sell parts direct to the consumer perhaps and he hasn't gotten out much lately?

It is literally alarming how detached ppl who provide us service have become with all this outsourcing and/or they simply are just not caring enough........The other day I called LCT service and her dog was crapping on the floor and she was yelling at it with me on the line, I'm like oh isn't this JOYOUS!.........This person knew nothing and was just in my way, sad.

Maybe should just cash in and get a shovel....LOL

·
Registered
520 Posts
One guy working at a Ariens dealer thought I was lying to him when I told him I(me) can buy Ariens parts, I'm not kidding and how is this even possible? Did Ariens back in the day not sell parts direct to the consumer perhaps and he hasn't gotten out much lately?
Wow! Either this guy is trying to trick people into having his shop do any and all service work or his incompetence knows no bounds.

Reactions: Sam Am I

·
Registered
215 Posts
@JJG723 got a screaming deal for $20, never heard of that low of price...Geeesh, buy 5 and give them out as Christmas presents ;)

I waaaaaay over paid through my dealer, feel I need to report it to the police as a crime!! This is exactly the other reason why I dislike/distrust dealers, I know they have to pay their bills but come on, I'm paying for their golf game too?.............Here's another deal, not as good @JJG723's but close...$33.82

Ref 96 2460 LCT Engines 24601 Efi Fuel Pump Assy

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
I know they have to pay their bills but come on, I'm paying for their golf game too?
I have a retail business, and it costs money to keep the lights on. For a 1200 sq ft space, my monthly overhead for rent, electricity, internet, phones, insurance, etc. is about $4,000, so until I make that much I'm in the hole... Therefore, repair parts and merchandise gets marked up 100% over my cost, and it's still a bargain for my customers in almost all cases since I'm a very frugal buyer.

Looking forward to full retirement from retail at the end of the year. I'll still do a lot of the same services for my customers, just without the retail location overhead.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 · (Edited)
Good to hear @Cstanis. On the cosmetic issues I faced, I got (but missed) a call from the owner of the shop I bought from today. I called back but he was on the other line. Will see how he addresses it when he calls back. A new tank would be great but two more 2+ hour round trips would kill a lot of the value there. Here are some pics of my machine. You can see the air inlet cover came out all brushed looking when I tried to wash it. The tank has 4 scratches on 2 sides, the top is completely deglossed, and has white drip marks from the side of the inlet. I also have a lot of small scratches below my hydro lever. Not sure where they came from. Maybe they ran a cable through it since it was outside?
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper
Audio equipment Gas Bumper Trunk Electronic device
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
704 Posts
Good to hear @Cstanis. On the cosmetic issues I faced, I got (but missed) a call from the owner of the shop I bought from today. I called back but he was on the other line. Will see how he addresses it when he calls back. A new tank would be great but two more 2+ hour round trips would kill a lot of the value there. Here are some pics of my machine. You can see the air inlet cover came out all brushed looking when I tried to wash it. The tank has 4 scratches on 2 sides, the top is completely deglossed, and has white drip marks from the side of the inlet. I also have a lot of small scratches below my hydro lever. Not sure where they came from. Maybe they ran a cable through it since it was outside? View attachment 199865 View attachment 199866 View attachment 199867 View attachment 199868 View attachment 199869
This is how it came back from the dealer?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Yes indeed. It was brand new when I dropped it. It had gotten picked up the day after the dealer got it and been stored inside under a sheet since... Now it looks like it's been sitting outside for years...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I do appreciate that. I'm still amazed at what could happen in a week and a half. If I didn't recognize it as my blower because I removed all the safety stickers and added an hour meter, I would bet money it wasn't even my blower I was getting back. It was literally a different machine than I dropped of.

121 - 140 of 160 Posts