Snowblower Forum banner
141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I do appreciate that. I'm still amazed at what could happen in a week and a half. If I didn't recognize it as my blower because I removed all the safety stickers and added an hour meter, I would bet money it wasn't even my blower I was getting back. It was literally a different machine than I dropped of.
Unless they couldn't figure it out and removed the same stickers and put your meter on it?

·
Registered
801 Posts
I do appreciate that. I'm still amazed at what could happen in a week and a half. If I didn't recognize it as my blower because I removed all the safety stickers and added an hour meter, I would bet money it wasn't even my blower I was getting back. It was literally a different machine than I dropped of.
You check the serial numbers

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
You're right. Anything is possible but my numbers still match... Although, you did get me nervous enough to go double check. What's interesting is the rest of the machine still looks 100% perfect. Anything Ariens manufactured is like new. It's only the LCT finish that's shot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 · (Edited)
It's all the same machine. Somehow they scratched my panel and sticker under the hydro control and deglossed the tank and air inlet. Maybe some harsh cleaner because on closer inspection of the sides, I can see where it ran down and left dull streaks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
I love the old carb is better because it's simple mentality...LOL. I have EFI on everything that it's available on. Sleds, ATVs, lawn tractor, snow blower, etc. Never a problem and still not a problem here. It was a bad run on fuel pumps. Does it suck to bring a new machine in under warranty? Sure. Is it filling my dreams with regret for buying this blower? Hardly.

Anyways, the owner of the dealer did get back to me last night. He said that the fading definitely wasn't from the sun in such a short time. So, it was either a reaction from gas soaking on the cheap LTC paint or a mix of fuel and whatever was used to clean it off. I know it wasn't my cleaning of the machine as I just used car wash when I got it home. The scratches on the other hand he admitted were completely unacceptable. He told me he'd order me a new tank and I could either have them swap it or if I didn't want to make the round trip, he would ship it to me and I could swap it myself. Fair enough. I've already cleaned up the little nicks by the hydro lever with some Mr. Clean which I used to make ATV plastic look like new where branches rub past on the trail. Then it's down to just the TB cover which I can spray while it's off doing the tank. So, while I shouldn't have had to do any of this, there is not much more I can do at this point....

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You can clean EFI.
And there's absolutely nothing "simple" about a carburetor. EFI is far simpler.

The reason people dislike EFI is primarily they don't understand it. But there's so much less to go wrong vs carb it's hard to even put into words. You've got a fuel pump and a valve that fully opens for so long and fully closes for so long, nothing else especially on a snow blower. On a car / truck you have the O2 sensor(s) that fine tune things in real time.

The main reason I've always liked carburetors is it's incredible how they work but there's nothing simple about it.

The reason I'm against EFI on snowblowers right now is I think it's half baked and as cheap as they could do it so I don't trust it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It was a bad run on fuel pumps.
I think so too, one of the front desk guys at your dealers I spoke with the other day has sort of confirmed our already suspicions, he said "he was speaking with a Ariens rep regarding the pumps as they have had to replace a few now, and NO revision part number has been issued for a replacement pump(albeit this c/would imply a recall of sorts), and they're thinking it was just a bad small batch that leaked in at manu time"

No time frame or number of units was discussed/given when this may have occurred of course, but I'm sure Ariens knows probably down to the month or week of the run and the number of units..............My guess is it was some of the earlier 2020/2021 units, Manu'd some time around summer of 2020.

EFI's that used fuel part number 20001459 that appear to be effected are GLE, Mountinaeering and Kraken, they all seem to have got their share of bad pumps.

This might be a buyer beware of that time frame of machine I reckon then.........BUT this is just my opinion of course based on somewhat limited observations/info shared.

This dealers statement more or less parallels the direction we were all leaning based on the empirical evidence we've all been seeing/reported here as well, this of sorts, is a good thing I guess you could say.......The best I can tell at this point, It's not a machine/design flaw, far from it, it's just looks to be a limited number of EFI's that in a small time frame have had the misfortune of getting a bum pump installed.

Is it filling my dreams with regret for buying this blower? Hardly.
Ditto

Anyways, the owner of the dealer did get back to me last night.
Glad they're are working with you...........cool!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
You can clean EFI.
And there's absolutely nothing "simple" about a carburetor. EFI is far simpler.

The reason people dislike EFI is primarily they don't understand it. But there's so much less to go wrong vs carb it's hard to even put into words. You've got a fuel pump and a valve that fully opens for so long and fully closes for so long, nothing else especially on a snow blower. On a car / truck you have the O2 sensor(s) that fine tune things in real time.

The main reason I've always liked carburetors is it's incredible how they work but there's nothing simple about it.

The reason I'm against EFI on snowblowers right now is I think it's half baked and as cheap as they could do it so I don't trust it.
Nitpicky here, but I think “simple” is how you look at it. EFI is “simple” in concept, but it takes “complicated” components to execute. (Like the control module & fuel pump), along with lots of extra parts compared to a carb. It requires electricity, electronics, sensors to operate.

A carb is complex in concept, with all of the jets, passages, etc, but is “simple” in execution, it doesn’t require electricity, electronics, and sensors. For this application, it also requires a governor too.

I completely agree with you on the current half baked EFI execution on these machines. If it was similar to the system used on sleds (ahem no battery) and used “high quality” components (ahem fuel pump) I don’t think we’d have near the discussions in regards, because the problems would be non existent.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
@jherbicide I think I can agree with that.

@Sam Am I A bad run of fuel pumps could easily kill a product if it happens under these conditions. It puts a bad taste in everyone's mouth and they loose all faith in the idea right off the bat.

As we see going on here.

IMO which isn't worth much, such an introduction should've been carefully controlled to make sure nothing went terribly wrong and the product was well received. Problems can happen later, not early on.

Of course there's also how a company handles the issue. If they bend over backwards to keep customers happy etc. That doesn't seem to be the case here either.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Actually, failures on release are very common. This is why many are against buying the first year of a redesigned vehicle or new engine offered by a vehicle manufacturer. Stuff happens and then folks move on. The sky isn't falling and people often forget how small the online forum community really is. We enthusiasts here are a micro fraction of the buying public and most go on their merry way without ever reading the dire posts about limited failures on the internet...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Actually, failures on release are very common. This is why many are against buying the first year of a redesigned vehicle or new engine offered by a vehicle manufacturer. Stuff happens and then folks move on. The sky isn't falling and people often forget how small the online forum community really is. We enthusiasts here are a micro fraction of the buying public and most go on their merry way without ever reading the dire posts about limited failures on the internet...
I suspect most are not buying a Kraken.
Yes, new products are often a little buggy but it also very often kills them if the bugs are bad enough.

A no start condition less than a year old followed by dealers taking forever to fix the problem and then causing cosmetic damage isn't a good sign.

Like I said, it's just my opinion and that's not worth much. I know that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Well, the Kraken isn't the only EFI unit that uses that pump. It may be limited due to being the most expensive unit they make but the tech is shared. The dealer issue is completely separate. Mine fixed it quickly but the cosmetic part sucks. That has nothing to do with my model or that it has EFI though. Bottom line for me is that I just can't get worried about it. It was broken. It got fixed. Time to blow some snow. The book is closed for me unless the issue returns...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Today's project guys. New Polaris Sportsman 1000 S ATV. Only two trips on her and about 400 miles and this happens to the paint on the muffler cover... Maybe they source their exhaust from LCT? LOL...

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm not sure I've ever had an ATV or dirtbike with a muffler cover.

I need to think about that for a while. I know my 1978 DS80 sure didn't have one because if your leg went in the wrong place you knew it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
I think this one is purely cosmetic but she wasn't so pretty after my last ride! Got it all wire brushed down and cleaned with alcohol. Now to spray with high temp paint and cross my fingers.

141 - 160 of 168 Posts