Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, first post here but I've been reading for a while.

Finally got my new platinum 30 out to use today, and had a problem.

It seemed to start ok, I used the electric start, and I let it run for a while to warm up. After using it for a bit, and going down my decline that is my driveway, it stalled out. I tried to pull start it but it wouldnt, so I moved it up to my level driveway and it started up on the second pull.

I checked the gas and I had half a tank. Am I correct reading it right when the fuel is at the red "fuel line" ?

Could i be starving it for gas somehow? It happend a couple other times. Could there be garbage in the line? Its brand new and my gas can is clean, so I'm at a loss here.

When it shuts down, its like someone turning the key off. It doesnt lug, doesnt act like its starving. just shuts off. always on the decline of the driveway.

My plan is to get new gas, drain this one into a jar to see if there is any garbage, and check the fuel filter. Will this be easy? I really dont want to drag it to a dealer if I dont have to.

Thoughts? Ariens thinks its a fuel issue. Dealer says to drain it. What is the easy way to check for garbage in the lines?

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
There have been some reports of brand new Ariens machines stalling from a defective fuel cap. Apparently they vent doesn't work and it creates a vacuum not allowing the fuel to get to the carb. Ariens has been mailing new caps to people who complain directly to them. Some dealers are playing dumb or telling customers to return their machines and not giving out caps.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You could verify SHRYP's response by removing the fuel cap and see if it continues to run.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
up to my level driveway and it started up on the second pull.
I checked the gas and I had half a tank.
Could i be starving it for gas somehow? It happend a couple other times.
When it shuts down, its like someone turning the key off. It doesnt lug, doesnt act like its starving. just shuts off. always on the decline of the driveway.
I might be on a limb here but when you will have the tank empty, you could with a flashlight look inside and try to see the height of your fuel pick up since it happens only when in decline. If you didn't drain your gas yet you could start it and try to lift or put something below the tires at roughly the same angle as the decline and see if it happens again. If it does you may have to call the dealer to pick it up and let them make the needed adjustment. Good Luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for the tips I'm going to check the gas cap, thats an easy fix!

Yep, the gas is on

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might be on a limb here but when you will have the tank empty, you could with a flashlight look inside and try to see the height of your fuel pick up since it happens only when in decline. If you didn't drain your gas yet you could start it and try to lift or put something below the tires at roughly the same angle as the decline and see if it happens again. If it does you may have to call the dealer to pick it up and let them make the needed adjustment. Good Luck
Thanks, I didnt realize the fuel pickup might have a different level.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I think I have a similar problem with my 2014/15 Platinum 30 SHO since I ran out of gas twice on second use. On a level surface when I ran out of gas there was still some fuel in the tank while all my other machines would have been empty. So I figured a bad gas cap or a fuel pickup raised above the bottom of the tank. Before going to see my dealer I wanted to find out how much gas was left inaccessible in the tank.

My dealer had previously told me to fill the tank just to the red plastic piece located in the clear plastic screen in the tank neck. Neither the Owner manual nor the engine manual give any specifics on the level. So the red marker is where I kept the fuel level.

I measured the tank at 2.25" from the top of the neck to the bottom of the tank. The red plastic marker is 1.5" below the neck, so there is only 0.75" of fuel in the tank. The top of the screen lip is 0.25" below the neck. So I filled the tank to the top of the screen lip that gives me 2.0" of fuel (instead of 0.75"), more than doubling fuel capacity. There is a lot of air space since the tank has a large raised area on the sides and rear of tank that is more than adequate. I ran the machine with the extra fuel for its third outing and did not run out of gas and still had 0.5" of gas remaining.

So I still need to find out how the tank outlet is oriented, it is no longer a problem. I intend seeing my dealer to check on how these tanks are made this week.

I doubt the lines are blocked or partially blocked, but to check, look under the engine at the rear just forward of the primer. You will see the float bowl of the carb. It has two screws, the center one holds the float bowl in place while the other one is the float bowl fuel drain. Loosen the drain with a wrench so you can unscrew by hand. Place a small funnel under the bowl and lead into a container to catch the gas. Undo the drain and there should be a strong flow at first that will slow as fuel is metered through the float valve. Turn the fuel shut off valve off to end the test and replace the drain screw. You are not likely to see any dirt, but look for water at the bottom of the container.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I have a similar problem with my 2014/15 Platinum 30 SHO since I ran out of gas twice on second use. On a level surface when I ran out of gas there was still some fuel in the tank while all my other machines would have been empty. So I figured a bad gas cap or a fuel pickup raised above the bottom of the tank. Before going to see my dealer I wanted to find out how much gas was left inaccessible in the tank.

My dealer had previously told me to fill the tank just to the red plastic piece located in the clear plastic screen in the tank neck. Neither the Owner manual nor the engine manual give any specifics on the level. So the red marker is where I kept the fuel level.

I measured the tank at 2.25" from the top of the neck to the bottom of the tank. The red plastic marker is 1.5" below the neck, so there is only 0.75" of fuel in the tank. The top of the screen lip is 0.25" below the neck. So I filled the tank to the top of the screen lip that gives me 2.0" of fuel (instead of 0.75"), more than doubling fuel capacity. There is a lot of air space since the tank has a large raised area on the sides and rear of tank that is more than adequate. I ran the machine with the extra fuel for its third outing and did not run out of gas and still had 0.5" of gas remaining.

So I still need to find out how the tank outlet is oriented, it is no longer a problem. I intend seeing my dealer to check on how these tanks are made this week.

I doubt the lines are blocked or partially blocked, but to check, look under the engine at the rear just forward of the primer. You will see the float bowl of the carb. It has two screws, the center one holds the float bowl in place while the other one is the float bowl fuel drain. Loosen the drain with a wrench so you can unscrew by hand. Place a small funnel under the bowl and lead into a container to catch the gas. Undo the drain and there should be a strong flow at first that will slow as fuel is metered through the float valve. Turn the fuel shut off valve off to end the test and replace the drain screw. You are not likely to see any dirt, but look for water at the bottom of the container.

Good luck.
Thanks for this. I would really like to hear the rest of the story because I bet that's what is going on with me too, I fill it to the red line and it does not seem to be a lot of fuel in there up to that point. I'll check out the float bowl and report back.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you are having trouble starting your Ariens Snow Blower, here is a link to our Snow Blower Troubleshooting Tips document our Tech Service group put together. Please check this out to see if one of these ideas help your situation.

If you still can't get it started, please send me a private message with your model and serial number, and I can reach out to our Tech Service group directly so they can assist you.

Thanks.

Mary Lyn

·
Registered
983 Posts
That thing is terrible, is it supposed to be a filter?
The purpose of the screen is to prevent debris from your fuel can being dumped into your snowblower fuel tank. There is no other filter in the fuel system so any debris may find its way to the carb and block the carb jets. This screen is an excellent feature from Ariens and not found on many machines.

The screen does not negatively affect filling your tank.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for setting me straight, I assumed here was a fuel filter down the line. Now I'm not so sure it's clogged and may be just a case of a bad pick up.

How long should I let the motor warm up before use?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Thanks for setting me straight, I assumed here was a fuel filter down the line. Now I'm not so sure it's clogged and may be just a case of a bad pick up.

How long should I let the motor warm up before use?
There is no exact answer, it depends on your beliefs. Mine is that a car or snowblower engine should be operated soon after starting. At -20 C (-4 F) my snowblower engine starts first pull on full choke, then I turn off the choke gradually until the engine runs smoothly with no choke, which is about 15 seconds at a guess. I then operate the machine. I do the same with my car except I don't wait for the fuel enrichment to turn off, I just wait the 15 seconds or so and then drive off easily with a light throttle load.

Others will tell you to fully warm the engine and that can take minutes. Much like they do with cars, start their cars from inside their homes and wait until the car is toasty before getting in and driving off.

All engines warm up better being driven rather than idling. Just my opinion of modern machinery.

Good luck.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I read your quoted thread that deals with leaking fuel tank caps on current model Ariens snowblowers. The kit that Ariens provides is a screen fitting for the fuel tank neck and a new cap. The problem with leaking gas at the cap is a faulty cap. The EPA have strict rules on fuel vapour escaping from fuel tanks, so the old style cap with a vent hole (and usually a foam piece to reduce fuel slosh) does not meet the "new" rules. There can be no air or fuel escaping from the cap so Ariens has this very complicated cap to conform to the rules, just like "cars". It is illegal for their fuel cap to vent fuel, so they must replace any defective caps or face legal penalties.

Evidently the screen and cap work together since the screen has two openings at the top where the prongs of the cap fit into. Some 2014 machines came without the screen so Ariens seem to provide a comprehensive solution with the kit. The screen allows full flow from a gas can so it would not be an effective anti sloshing feature, like foam filters of old.

Good luck.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
The Predator engines have the screen in them as well. I like the idea of the filter there, but it does make it difficult to know how much fuel is in the tank.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts