Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gearbox in my tractor-mounted snowblower has brass gears inside. The manual specifies that it takes 80-90 EP gear lube, but it doesn't suggest which to use GL4 or GL5. After a lot of research, I have found multiple articles that say that GL5 will attack the brass synchronizers in the manual transmissions of cars and to only use GL 4 gear lube for that reason. Since many of the walk-behind snowblowers also have brass gears in them, what is the gear oil that you would recommend for use with brass gears?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Correct, do not put gl5 into a case with brass gears. Ep stands for extreme pressure. Any EP rated gl4 should be fine, but if you want to be 100% you'd have to go with the exact manufacturer spec'd product. I actually have an email in to Champion about their 00 Ep grease to see if their Ep additive pack is safe for brass, mofos at Oregon who market it ignored my email to them, so I put it in the case anyway and we'll see what Champion says. Might have to drain it in the spring. But 80 weight is thinner than 00 grease

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use waterproof synths.
People get crazy over Brand / Brand loyalty.
I was a YAMAHA™ guy!
I have often tried to explain to some.
Yamaha is famous.
Piano's, Drum's, Musical Instruments, Golf Carts, Boats, Outboard Motors, Motorcycles, ... Watercraft, Aircraft, Sporting Goods and Racing Cars.

As close to Petrol exploration, drilling, refining and distribution the executives at YAMAHA get, ... is ordering Plastic Bottles with snazzy-lookin' graphics!!!!

Waterproof, Synthetic, 5W30, 75W90

I know, ... the first thing that pops-up is YAMALUBE!

They PAY to be on top.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem is that the Amsoil is a GL5 lubrication, and even though they say that it can be used anywhere that a GL4 lubricant can be used, that statement still doesn't address the fact that the gearbox has brass gears. They are assuming that all differentials have only steel gears in them.
Recommended for use in differentials, manual transmissions, and other gear applications requiring any of the following specifications: API GL-5, MT-1, MIL-PRF-2105E, Dana SHAES 234 (Formerly Eaton PS-037), Mack GO-J, or other GL-5 based specifications from vehicle manufacturers, including Ford*, GM* and Chrysler*. Can also be used in axles where an API GL-4 lubricant is recommended.
Please note that they specifically exclude transmissions in this statement. This leads me to believe that they are aware of the detrimental effect of a GL5 lubricant on the brass that is located in many transmissions, hence the excluding in their wording.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't think brass is ever in an automotive diff. Synchros are the brass in a stick shift but they're not in a diff ofc since that doesn't shift. I use Redline MT90 synthetic in my transmissions but it isn't EP rated and doesn't have to be because pressures in a transmission are lower than a diff. Seems like you need something like this. Not common. In fact looks like all the hits are British. What tractor/blower is this for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kubota BX23S with a Kubota BX2816 snowblower. The snowblower has a front-mounted aluminum housing brass gearbox. This blower is powered by a 23 HP diesel engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts