Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all,

How does everyone feel about the Briggs 8Hp (11.5 lbs-ft) engine? I believe they call it the Polar Force. I know that has a couple weaknesses, such as the yellow oil caps vibrating loose. Is it a durable engine when looked after?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Afternoon all,

How does everyone feel about the Briggs 8Hp (11.5 lbs-ft) engine? I believe they call it the Polar Force. I know that has a couple weaknesses, such as the yellow oil caps vibrating loose. Is it a durable engine when looked after?

Cheers!

I have a Briggs engine, 305cc, 13.5 lbs-ft, 9 years old, same thing as yours but a bit bigger. No problems with it. Change the oil, I run the carb dry after each use and don't store it with gas in the tank over the summer. Starts every time, and no grief so far.

As far as the yellow oil caps, wrap a bit of teflon tape on them, tighten them down good and forget about them. Never had one come loose on mine, and I don't use them anyway since it has a dip stick and you can fill it from there as well.

Only thing you might want to do is check to see if the one you are looking at has a stator in it and which model if you want to run lights and grip heaters. Several different flavours available, so go to the dual voltage AC/DC, or hope it has at least the 60W DC stator so you can run those things. Mine only has the 1.5 amp, 18W DC unit so I had to make a couple of modifications.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips!

Wonder if the "Toro" Loncin engine is better?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thanks for the tips!

Wonder if the "Toro" Loncin engine is better?
No idea. I have read in other threads that chinese engines are fine, but getting parts can be a challenge as they are so inexpensive that they are sort of considered throw away items.

Are you looking to by an engine only for a repower, or an entire new snowblower?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The Loncin engines are pretty well made for the price. parts are kind of hit and miss. ebay can be your friend for used parts especially. they are more or less throw away though......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts