Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
This is on an MTD 24 " with a 12 " impeller. The engine runs/starts well and has maintenance, so the thinking was it is not down on power due to a problem. I never had it throw snow 40 ft , so maybe there is an issue. Could be a good idea to rebuild the carb and check the governor setting at this point eliminate those as a possibility. Replacement of carb the emulsion tube o-rings is probably needed since they are trouble prone.

Any idea what max rpm for this engine? I can't find it in my tec books. It is usually 3600 rpm, but I want to be sure.

The swap to the HF will require a few things. A 3/4 " to 7/8 " shaft bushing and new mounting bolts. The bushing should eliminate the need for new pulleys and belts.
To clarify, the 939 has a 20" bucket, 12" impeller, and it only shoots 40' when the snow is unpacked, fresh and dry and cold. It does not shoot EOD 40, but I've never had it bog and I usually hit 1st pass with momentum and then subsequent 1/2 or 3/4 passes depending on conditions. Perhaps bucket size comes into play for EOD. Does your MTD have adjustable engine mounts like a Murray/Craftsman? If so that could make a swap a lot easier, you can get by without e-start espicially if you garage it. That leaves only fuel delivery and pulley issues to sort. Don't use a steel tank. You'll have to get the PTO shaft in approximately the same position as the L head for the sheave clutching to operate properly. If you have the storage space, you stow the Tec, could experiment and then reinstall the L head since it still works. If the Tec is already verified operating at 3600 rpm I probably wouldn't mess with it, but it might get an extra half horse by bumping it a couple hundred rpm. The impellers are designed to work at a certain speed though.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
i would still recommend trying the impeller mod first. it can make a huge difference to some machines. i know this machine has a 8hp engine but it didn't throw worth a crap. might have been throwing about 6-8ft. i did the impeller mod to 2 of the 4 impeller blade and it would throw the snow about 14 or so feet and didn't really mind the slush. had my sisters neighbor watch me use it 1 day blowing through the slush at the bottom of her driveway and he attempted the same thing with his machine and it was hilarious to watch his continually clog up. it would be interesting to see if having the impeller mod done to all 4 blades makes it perform any better than just the 2. and just in case your wondering yes i did the impeller mod in my kitchen in the middle of winter lol.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yup that's it: https://www.engine-specs.net/honda/gxv120.html
It's on my '83 HR214SXA which is now an HR214SMA, since I added the battery electric start to it.
Yup, that one's a beauty, I have the SXA from the mid 90's...still my best mower for detail work. If there was ever an engine that didn't need electric start it would be this one LOL overkill, Someone's trying to sell that engine setup for $300 on Ebay and he wants another $100 for the bars... That's not you is it? You could buy a new one for that. It's cool as heck though 🤙 but you need to up your game and make it remote start 🙂 then retrofit a 3 speed gearbox and some lighting
👍

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yup, that one's a beauty
Even prettier now... Shortly after that video was made, I replaced the worn-out aluminum deck with a practically new one.
If there was ever an engine that didn't need electric start it would be this one LOL overkill
I actually did it for my wife, who WANTED!!! to mow the lawn, but had a hard time starting the mower. A couple of years down the road, her arthritis back pain was getting worse and she STILL wanted to be able to mow the lawn, so I got her the ZT shown below... AKA her "Go Kart". Wicked fun to drive; only takes me about 1/2 hour to do the entire lawn when I do it now...
Someone's trying to sell that engine setup for $300 on Ebay and he wants another $100 for the bars... That's not you is it?
Nope, not me! That's my first Honda and will never let it go...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nope, not me! That's my first Honda and will never let it go...
Hah, all this talk of Hondas and Toros got me curious so I grabbed my digital archery pull force meter and the Honda 118cc HR214 clocks out a 24.36 lbs force to turn it over with the recoil, Which is basically about the same amount of effort as it is to shift the transmission but is actually more than I thought it would be. I also have to test my moms e start super recycler with the B&S Europa engine(great engine BTW, very Honda like).I'll test next time I go over there.
I have the Honda rope super short so all it takes is a short backward stab with the elbow (like you're giving your friend behind you a charley horse) It always starts before I reach full pull.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts