Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with with my motor not keeping a steady rpm at idle and full throttle. i can help it by giving it half choke.I just took the carb apart and everything was clean but i noticed a brass cap where the mixture screw is. Can i pop this out and take that jet out or is it not removable or adjustable. I did use a fine wire and carb cleaner to clean as much as i could. I also put fresh fuel in it. The engine is a briggs and the carb part number is 592447. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
These BS carbs are exactly that.. BS. They don't respond well to rebuilds and cleaning, I have had to replace 2 of them thus far.

·
Registered
961 Posts
It sounds like you have a clogged slow jet that wasn't cleaned. It was probably missed when the rest was cleaned.
They are usually located outside of the carburetor, not inside fuel bowl, that can be removed externally without having to remove the carburetor or fuel bowl.
Many times they are located on the top side, under the idle speed adjusting screw.
A clogged slow jet will cause low speed/idle problems and also high speed surging when the engine is "Un-loaded" because it is only taking fuel from the low speed jet, even though it is at a higher r.p.m.. Once the machine is under a "Load", the governor opens the throttle plate further and it then begins to take fuel from the main circuit jet.
The surging is caused by the engine speed dropping and the governor takes over and opens the throttle plate further to "Recover" by taking fuel from the main circuit, once it "Recovers", the speed will increase and the governor takes over and slows the engine back down again until it dies from lack of fuel, the series repeats itself over and over, that is what causes the "Surging" effect.
If you know what you are doing, B&S carbs respond very well to rebuilds and cleanings if done properly with the correct tools and O.E.M. parts.
You shouldn't have to bother with the idle mixture screw, the slow speed jet is usually the problem, and if you remove it, make sure the little "O" ring on it is in good condition if it has the little black plastic slow jet that is accessed from removing the throttle slow speed adjustment screw, then prying it up and out. Some have a little phillips head screw that has to be removed and a thin wire inserted to clean it, or give it a shot of carb cleaner spray.
Unfortunately a lot of the newer China built parts designed to meet u.s. emissions are more difficult to repair and are built like junk. You would have better luck if it was a Keihin carburetor used on the Honda engines, they are much easier to repair.
The part number you listed does not show the slow jet as a replaceable part, meaning it is part of the carburetor body, thus you would have to buy a new carburetor if you couldn't find it, clean it, but it can be done without replacing the carburetor.
One other thing is to make sure the float height is set properly, if it is out, you would have to replace the float needle seat, which is a common problem and an easy fix as long as you have the proper tool for doing that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks i will take it out one more time. it would be a shame to have to get another carb. the blower is only 3 years old and it only cleans a double driveway. I also agree a keihin carb is easier to work on. i have worked on quite a few honda products

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just want to say thank you to st110a You where right on the money i found that plastic cap on top of the carb popped it out and yes the two very small holes where plugged . Put it back and it runs like new again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts