Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the last season my snowblower hit some gravel and broke a blade on my impeller. I order a new impleller from B&S but I can not get the auger pulley off to remove the auger and impeller assembly to install the new part.
This pulley has no bolt or set screw that I can see, I have tried a puller to no avail. Any suggestions? The model # 1696619-03

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
HAve you pulled up the parts manual to make sure that there is not a roll pin holding the impeller to the shaft. There has to be some type of pin/bolt holding it on.

·
Registered
205 Posts
During the last season my snowblower hit some gravel and broke a blade on my impeller. I order a new impleller from B&S but I can not get the auger pulley off to remove the auger and impeller assembly to install the new part.
This pulley has no bolt or set screw that I can see, I have tried a puller to no avail. Any suggestions? The model # 1696619-03
On most snowblower, it is just one bolt that hold the impeller pulley to the impeller shaft. Rust will give you a hard time unbolting/removing it. On some snowblowers, there were no bolts. They welded the impeller pulley right into the shaft instead. It could have been done by the previous owners, but I thought it is stupid that they did that. Whatever it is, you should be able to see it. There should be no hidden bolts. It is just rust that make everything hard to come out. For that, I can't help. It is mostly your skills and experiences. Also, your tools. Not all people have that.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
The parts list shows two bolts holding it on. Maybe as dman said, someone welded it?

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts

Here you go. Bolt number 74. Heat, or spray some rust dissolver in there first. And then, use a powerful air impact gun to unbolt it. Again, spray some rust dissolver on the shaft and let it soaks in. You can also use heat to burn the rust. Use a puller if you have one. If not, lie the buck down, so the pulley faced up. If you yanked the pull in/out, you will see that it has a little play (use that to your advantage). jack the pulley up with small wooden blocks, then hammer the shaft in a little at a time. Be careful not to stretch the shaft where you hit it. You might need to jack the pulley up some more each time. When it start to move, it will come out easy.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The parts list shows two bolts holding it on. Maybe as dman said, someone welded it?
No, i looked at the diagram. It has bolt. It was just rust. Try to break the rust first. Rust is no joke. You might destroy your equipment before you can remove that pulley.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see the bolt in the diagram but here is what the pulley looks like looking down on it. This is my first snowblower and my mechanical skills are limited
auger pulley.JPG

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I see the bolt in the diagram but here is what the pulley looks like looking down on it.
Looks like the bolt is just missing. Should be able to use a standard 3-jaw puller to pull it off. I removed the drive pulleys from a 1985 Tecumseh H50 and a 1987 Honda GX240 yesterday and the puller slid them right off.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Autozone has a loan-a-tool program. Pay a deposit on the 3-jaw puller tabora mentioned and they give you your money back when you return it.
Locating a good place to hook the 3 jaws in the 5 holes will be a bit of a challenge perhaps

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
That pulley does not look rusted on that keyed shaft.

I probably would lightly use a slide hammer puller. If your going to use a bearing puller, make sure you protect the threads in the shaft center, or even getting a sacrificial bolt in there, and drill a starter hole in it for the puller point to rest in, without damaging the threads …. you can just take it out when the pulleys off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ordered the pulleys online just waiting to get them. I'll try soaking the shaft first thanks
The puller did the trick. Now just got put this thing back together. Not real happy with the design of this machine it's hard to work on the impeller or augers. Hopefully it will not have any problems next season. I was disappointed the impeller blade broke, I had thought the shear pins would go first.

Thanks for all the suggestions

1 - 15 of 15 Posts