Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i dump picked an MTD/Yard Machine chipper over the weekend. when i checked the oil, the dip stick/funnel looked like butter. when i warmed it up and drained it the fluid came out grayish. i believe this machine is from the mid '90's, not sure about the engine (there was another tecumseh engine with it that may have been the original.

this engine seems to have two yellow fill plugs and two different types of drain plugs. not sure if this is unusual or not. for all i know the oil is original. was going to do an oil change. should i do a temp change with a cleanser fluid to clean it out, or maybe two oil changes?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I had an engine that I put fuel or diesel gas in as a replacement for the oil and ran it for seconds then I drained it and did it two more times. Do not use gasoline, too explosive.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
If that was mine, I would put in some 5W30 Full Synthetic oil along with some SeaFoam ... run it for a while, then drain it out and replace oil with just 5W30 Full Synthetic .....

Being on a chipper, and if you are going to run it strictly in spring, summer, fall warmer temperatures, then using 10W30 Full Synthetic would be fine, as well as the 5W30 Full Synthetic, which covers colder temps as well.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If that was mine, I would put in some 5W30 Full Synthetic oil along with some SeaFoam ... run it for a while, then drain it out and replace oil with just 5W30 Full Synthetic .....

Being on a chipper, and if you are going to run it strictly in spring, summer, fall warmer temperatures, then using 10W30 Full Synthetic would be fine, as well as the 5W30 Full Synthetic, which covers colder temps as well.
for now i just added SAE 30. i'll run it periodically, and check on it. probably do another change later and do synthetic.
it ran fine with there gray oil, and drained about the right amount out, so little oil loss occurred.

was thinking of using it this winter to pulverize EOD ice blocks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Geez, good advice is wasted on people who don’t follow it. Oneacer gave a great recommendation and that’s what I would do. Going forward, I’d run full synthetic 10w30 in summer, 5w30 in winter. That old “gray oil” was likely oil with a lot of water emulsified in it. Need to run that engine a long time (few hours probably with clean oil) to get any remaining emulsified oil out, evaporate out any water, and the synthetic will clean out deposits and dirt. Why ask if you’re just going to do what you want anyway!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Geez, good advice is wasted on people who don’t follow it. Why ask if you’re just going to do what you want anyway!"

i feel your comments have crossed the etiquette line. you should refrain, in this forum or in life, from making assumptions about why someone made a choice irregardless of advice given. an apology would help here. and i am a little disappointed with the thumbs up, supporting and encouraging what i consider to be unnecessary and unhelpful commentary.

this machine probably has its original oil in it (10 years). no idea if it has any water in it. right thing to do is heat it, drain it, and replace it. then run it over time and change it again. SAE 30 is the proper standard oil for this machine. that is what i had on hand. i didn't want to waste my time running out to buy synthetic. and i didn't want to fill and drain synthetic. why waste it.

i won't be using 5/30 in a machine only suited for warm weather usage.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
" SAE 30 is the proper standard oil for this machine. that is what i had on hand. i didn't want to waste my time running out to buy synthetic. and i didn't want to fill and drain synthetic. why waste it."

Because Synthetic is a far superior product for lubrication, protection, etc. over reg dino motor oil.

If unknown sludge was in it, and your fine with that, then any oil is an improvement. Remember that a reg. 30W dino oil should not be run in the winter months.

Reactions: Big Ed

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
i feel your comments have crossed the etiquette line. you should refrain, in this forum or in life, from making assumptions about why someone made a choice irregardless of advice given. an apology would help here. and i am a little disappointed with the thumbs up, supporting and encouraging what i consider to be unnecessary and unhelpful commentary.

this machine probably has its original oil in it (10 years). no idea if it has any water in it. right thing to do is heat it, drain it, and replace it. then run it over time and change it again. SAE 30 is the proper standard oil for this machine. that is what i had on hand. i didn't want to waste my time running out to buy synthetic. and i didn't want to fill and drain synthetic. why waste it.

i won't be using 5/30 in a machine only suited for warm weather usage.
What would be helpful here on the site along with a like button option, they should have a dislike button. :cool:

5W30 Full Synthetic oil is the best choice, you do know that a chipper can be used in the cold weather too? 😎

EDIT, I know, you don't care what I think anyway. :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts